Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using sound deadening materials
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrofit
A while back I think it was Vaca Rabite who got into a sound proofing project. If not could the correct individual respond?
For sound proofing the doors is it ok to put a wide strip against the outside door skin rather than try to cover the whole thing? I believe this is how newer cars are being done-just enough material to break up the sound patterns. I'm thinking that adding material to the door frame prior to reinstalling the door panels will push the door panel away from the frame enough so the fit around the edges is compromised. Is this so?
Where else in the car did you finally apply the sound proofing? Comments?
After the soundproofing did you do pad and carpet? Did the extra thickness of either affect the fit and finish of the carpet install? My 914 has the stock carpet and there is no padding. I'm thinking of the tunnel areas where the center console and padded arm rest would go. (I could leave out the padding on the top of the tunnel).
My final dilemna is to guess on the pre-wire for adding an amp for the sub and an amp for the speakers, or go for a single 5 chnl amp that will power the whole setup. Seems most mount the amp in the front trunk, or, if it is small enough tucked up under the dash. Rear trunk mounted amps are not good because of the engine heat radiated up into the rear trunk, yes? Have some of you mounted the amps in the rear trunk?
TIA
Allen
jsayre914
I have two amps in the rear trunk for 3+ years with no problem. I do have that foam type pad under the carpet, I think that is a sufficent heat barrier. I do believe two amps are better than one IMHO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.