Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F! The santa ana winds in SOCAL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
words of wisdom for the santa ana winds....

F**K YOU!

The wind through the canyon ripped the targa off my parked car (cleared the hood thank God) but road rashed it very nicely.

That is all.

scotty b
I hear about these things alot but never heard what kinda of speed they are. Are they constant or gusts ?
drem914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 13 2008, 05:46 PM) *

I hear about these things alot but never heard what kinda of speed they are. Are they constant or gusts ?

you get sustained 30-40 mph winds with gusts that will peak at 60 or 70 mph. On the the more severe days it will go even higher. The speeds in the canyons and on some peaks can reach over 100 mph and in fact they would classify as a category 2 hurricane.

two years ago our next door neighbors digital anenometer at 94 mph!

here is the wikipedia page on the subject, expaliningthe how's and why's of the santa anas winds .
SLITS
anywhere from 45 - 100+ mph. Somtimes steady, sometimes gusts.

I've seen a 120 lb bale of alfalfa blowing down the freeway in Cajon pass. You had to walk at a 45 degree angle against the wind. Blows over tractor/trailers, motorhomes, etc.

Devil wind as they say.
craig downs
Well I guess your getting close to a repaint now.
Scotty The winds are both constant with strong gusts. Heard today there were gusts up to 84 mph recorded today in some areas.
sixnotfour
Not helping the Fire down there either.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(craig downs @ Oct 13 2008, 06:18 PM) *

Well I guess your getting close to a repaint now.
Scotty The winds are both constant with strong gusts. Heard today there were gusts up to 84 mph recorded today in some areas.

Yep.... God hates me. Maybe he will use the wind to strip my car so its easier to repaint?

I really need to fast fwd to June when I am done with school, have time for cars, and have a farking garage.

Thank you for letting me cry on your E-shoulders.

I guess the pun would be... "The santa ana's BLOW"....

r_towle
I guess it wasnt latched??

Rich
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 13 2008, 06:37 PM) *

I guess it wasnt latched??

Rich

Oh it was.....

The rear latches seemed to always be a little loose for my comfort.....

Time to consume alcohol smile.gif
RoadGlue
It was latched and it still took it off? Wow, that has to be first! That really sucks. sad.gif
Kirmizi
Sounds like you're in Wyoming to me...
Mike
sww914
Yeah man, but it's a dry wind.
BMXerror
When I was leaving school(in San Bernardino) today I noticed smoke... a lot of smoke. I started driving and realizing what was going on, but it took me a little while to understand the scale of the problem. There was a fire about a mile north of where I was, and the winds were whipping the embers and igniting the palm trees along the freeway, and any other dry bush downwind. The result was about a mile long strip of small spot fires in residential neighborhoods! It was just getting going too, because the emergency vehicles weren't even established yet... I have no idea what's going on with that now. Took me half an hour just to get to the freeway in SB!
Mark D.
swood
....and you are....? smile.gif
dw914er
I found out from my gf that csusb is closed because of the wind. Its pretty intense, I could feel it on my drive back up to SLO
KaptKaos
QUOTE(swood @ Oct 13 2008, 09:52 PM) *

....and you are....? smile.gif

agree.gif
klikkid3
I just had a block wall put in to fortify my house here in wind ally in the foothills of san bernardino after the wood fence decided to go airborne. Also cool story about the wind, at Cal State San Bernardino there is a east west facing building called U-Hall. There is a design flaw with the building that creates a wind tunnel effect during the santa ana's. Well this little 115lb girl fought her way through the wind tunnel to get in, she began to open the large metal door when a gust came through and SNAP. It swung with such force that it broke her arm. Tough way to learn about the flaw. Yes SANTA ANA's suck but I will take them over tornados's any day.
dw914er
dont forget we also get earthquakes lol
klikkid3
QUOTE(dw914er @ Oct 15 2008, 10:48 AM) *

dont forget we also get earthquakes lol

..........and the fires welder.gif , and the crime ar15.gif , and the.......(deep breath)I Love California!
PBritain
we have one of those awning type car ports in our back yard, the kind that is a bunch of metal tubing that slides together with a tarp over the top.

well we had a cinder block on each foot (12, this is a big thing, fits 2 cars length wise) and the thing went OVER our 10 foot fence into our neighbors pool. the great part? it stayed COMPLETELY in tact. so I spent the whole day disassembling this thing under water with my allergies and asthma going completely nuts.

boy do i wish i had a scuba tank, then it actually would have been pretty fun.

oh and the awning was a write off. that thing was bent in ways ive never seen before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.