Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
After making patches for my floor pans, fixing the seat belt mounts, a new fuel pump and new wiring to the fuel pump, a new fan belt, new starter, removing the alternator and seeing what was wrong with it(nothing was wrong, the wire that goes to the starter broke off), putting the alt back in, new coil, new plugs, new wires my car finally made it to the road and everything went right. The two times i was able to drive the car i had to tow it home. First time, fuel pump went out. Second time, the wire from the alt to the starter broke off and stopped charging the battery. I have had the car for about two months and it was great to drive it without worrying. Only drove it around the neighborhood but plan to drive a little further tomorrow since i don't have school. Here are some pictures my mom took.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
southernmost914
Pretty work! driving.gif
jim_hoyland
agree.gif Nice work ! You are going to have one fine 914 !
stepuptotheMike
Awesome!! Looks like you are in for a good time.

-Mike
jd74914
Very nice!

You got off lucky having it semi-reliably running in 2 months. That took me 5 years. laugh.gif

So, I see 5 lugs. What's else does it have?
turnaround89
Those would be a fake five lug, thats a wheel adapter with some chevy truck rims on the car now, i hate them. I really want a set of phone dials for the car, but don't have the cash at the moment. The engine is a 1.8 and the car is a 1972. It goes without saying but it has 916 front end, fg flares, and i hope to get the 916 rear bumper as well for a 916 clone as a final product. all in time though. Everything else is basic 914 stuff, has some rust here and there, hell hole isn't too bad and the longs are pretty solid except for some holes that need patching. the floors had the worst rust, im suprised my passengers didn't fall through the floor when they sat in the seat.

I wouldn't call the car reliable just yet, i had more issues again dry.gif . I drove to pick up a buddy of mine at his sisters house, about a 15 minute drive and shut the car off, didn't turn back on. Only the starter would turn, tried to jump it but nothing. So we tried starter fluid and it still wouldn't fire after that. Got the car home and put the battery on the charger. And started to work on it again. We did find something interesting about the carb, it has a weber two barrel carb on it and the rear barrel jet does not spray gas when you press the gas pedal but the front barrel will spray. May have a clogged jet so no gas=no go. But i still can't believe the car wouldn't fire using starting fluid, it has previously but this time it wouldn't. So i can get the car on the road, i just can't shut it off. Thought i had it all figured out, nope, oh well, more fun in the garage biggrin.gif
I know the car is getting spark, i checked that.
Fuel seems to be getting there because i can watch it spray in the first barrel of the car but not the rear barrel(thats an issue, but it is getting gas)

Back to work so i can hopefully driving.gif my car again, someday!!
Spoke
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Oct 14 2008, 04:27 AM) *
We did find something interesting about the carb, it has a weber two barrel carb on it and the rear barrel jet does not spray gas when you press the gas pedal but the front barrel will spray. May have a clogged jet so no gas=no go.

I could be wrong but if you have a 2 barrel progressive center carb, only the main jet will squirt with the accel pump. If you see gas squirting then you have fuel supply and not starting seems like it could be something ignition related.

BTW, if you do have the center carb, be on the lookout for a used set of dual webers. The performance of dual webers vs single center carb is eye opening.
turnaround89
We fixed the issue with the carb and not spraying into both barrels. The engine runs so much smoother and idles at a constant rpm. We got the car running again, i had a bad battery. Still interested in knowing why it wouldn't start on starter fluid, but it runs great now so im not gonna worry about it. Now i have to do bodywork and its off to paint and then a new set of rims. I have definitely been looking for another carb, just don't have the money right now, saving for next semester of college!
carr914
Put your seatbelt on, you never know what's around the next twisty driving.gif

T.C.
turnaround89
I have it on, i didn't have any 3 points at the time so i pulled the lap belt out of my baja bug and used those for the time being!
FourBlades

That is going to be a great looking car.

Lets see some more pictures of the work you did on it...

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.