Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awesome looking 914 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Here is the link:

IPB Image

914 Race Car

I believe that is the same body as my car. Interesting paint scheme. HUGE wheels and tires (18 inch rims w/335 in the rear!!!) And I thought my 17's with 315 rubber was as big as you could go. I'm interested in knowing what wing on the car. Anyone know?
seanery
It's a beautiful car, too bad it's a V8. Where are you gonna race it? I wonder if that's why it's for sale. confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
Yeah, it has been there for awhile. I have no idea why anyone would run a narrow front end with 500hp. Your asking for understeer. Run 12 inch fronts and 10 inch rears... clap56.gif

B
lmcchesney
Could not belong to one of us.
The garage is too neat.
L. McChesney
rhodyguy
what is the hood, a rear raise? i wonder what the puddle is at the right of the bumper.

kevin
soloracer
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 8 2004, 11:13 AM)
Yeah, it has been there for awhile. I have no idea why anyone would run a narrow front end with 500hp. Your asking for understeer. Run 12 inch fronts and 10 inch rears... clap56.gif

B

Interesting. Why would this car be prone to understeer? Can you elaborate? On the track cars I have seen the rear wheels are larger than the fronts.
Brad Roberts
He raised the hood at the rear to exit heated air from the radiator.. (more than likely cheaped out on the cooling system). If the car meets SCCA safety rules you can run it in SP (super production) with all the other "different" cars.

b
SirAndy
mo pics ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Solo..

Take a look at every Go Kart and indy car out there. Yes the rear wheels are wider, but the front track is wider than the rear. With his current config (and yours) there is no way you can make that happen with the narrow front body kit. Even the factory race cars have a wider front track. It doesnt appear that way with mammoth rear tires, but you only need enough tire based on the amount of power. Stock Porsche GT3RS's came with 11inch wide rear tires and have 450/480 hp. There was a issue with cooking the inside of the rear tires, going to 12's and taking some negative camber out cured that. I dont beleive in BIG rear tires.

His engine setup is TOP NOTCH. Very awesome dry sump setup and 930 box (not real fond of his cable shift setup, but it works I'm sure).

B
TimT
Brad why do they leave the dry sump tanks in the rear of 914's?

I was thinking of moving my tank to the front ala 911 practice
Brad Roberts
I have NO idea. We move them all to the right front. All the cornerweights we have done and played with show weight needing to be added just in front of where the passengers feet should be. Most place the sump tank for a 6cyl somewhat in the place that the OE fuel tank once resided in. He could have done the same but may have not needed too do to the weight of the V8 confused24.gif

B
Brad Roberts
Oh duh.. with his fuel cell and RADIATOR he probably didnt have room for tank up front.

B
TimT
Yea duh.... I shoulda though of that too beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Its Sunday I'm relaxing for the first time in 3 weekends straight. Another 30 minutes and I'm off to the shop.

B
J P Stein
406 alloy sb....uh.uh. The only way I'd ever do a chebbie 914. I even semi-believe his HP claims....unlike the stuff I often hear.
URY914
But he kept the engine lid cable and release stock?
Seems a little odd.

Paul
maf914
Check the engine mount bar. Is he using the original T4 mounting points? Are they strong enough for that engine? I guess he could have beefed them up.

Mike
Evill Ed
This 914 belongs to my good friend Brian. I have watched this car progress over the years and it is truely amazing. It is built with NASCAR like quality, everthing is neat, well designed and well built.

Forget the BS of V8 cars not handling well, this car acelerates and handles better than most of the car you see at the track. I have watched this car eat Ferraris, Vettes and Vipers at the tracks as well as some hi caliber Porsches.

I rode in this car at Watkins Glen, the car sticks to the track and showed no signs of ill handling. When acelerating down the front straight, I was literally trying to pull my helmet away from the seat, it is like an amusment ride.

Last Year at a local PCA DE, an instructor who had a hot 914-6 was asking Brian why he did the V8. Brian took him out for some lap to show him. The instructor kept screaming "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa..." every time he nailed it. Afterwards he said he had a whole new appreciation for V8 powered 914's, or at least this one.

The puddle by the bumper was water from a washing, I had asked that same quaestion when I saw that pic last year.

The rear of the hood was raised to allow better air flow after the front monted oil coller was added. There is a large aluminum radiator (Griffith?) in the front that has alway kept the beast cool.

He probably has $60K + in the car not including his labor. It really is a very cool ride.

Ed
L8Apex
Yuck, diamond plate. why would you use diamond plate on a race car? blink.gif
Scott Carlberg
Gosh I have the very same steering wheel, and my car won't run like that one!!!

Oh yeah, I've only got a 1.7 icon8.gif sad2.gif headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.