Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift bushing r&r
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
I've got a tailshifter and have my shift linkage completely removed front to back- I was wondering what advice or experience anyone has on top of replacing ALL bushings that helps get these things shifting as well as can be expected.
It was actually not too bad before, when in 1st/reverse there was little or no play, but 2nd-5th had some slop.
The plastic 2 'balls" at the pivots just snap off?
Also, My rear shift rod had "some" wear at the rear bushing at the nose-cone, anyone ever epoxy/JB weld this area to get it flat again?
Seems like it should hold up through a plastic bushing.
Also, the "ball" at the tail end of the shift rod has 2 small flat-ish spots where its worn at the shift selectors, is this worn, or should they be like this for free shifting?
Is a short (weltmeister) shift kit worth it in a tailshifter?
Anything to tell me?
TIA smile.gif
Bob O
914ghost
Nothing?
Noone has ever done this.. .?
Thats hard to believe... . ....
Is the subject not interesting or NOT off-topic enough? sad.gif
seanery
Bob,

I think you and I are the only folks still running a tailshifter. Brad & Mark put mine back together when they did the motor, so I don't have any good advice here.
914ghost
Just for that I'm gonna start buying side shifter and RETROFIT tail shift tranyy's into ALL of em!! wacko.gif
drew365
I don't have a tail shifter, so the only thing I can comment on is the worn shift rod at the rear bushing. If there is still play after installing a new bushing you can take it up by forcing a tiewrap in the opening around the bushing. I did this, I was only able to get a small size tiewrap in but it really tightened up the movement. I greased the area with some poly lubricant.
Gint
Easy there bub...

I haven't put mine back together yet, so I can't be of much help at the moment. But I'll happily bump the thread for ya.
rhodyguy
bob, it's all pretty straight forward. when i did a tailshifter the improvement was pretty substancial. the shortshift kit improved things also. i didn't like the stiff springs that can be bought for the shifter though. there are 2 bushing that cradle the shifter ball and spring, get those too. clean the stock springs well. when you go to put the one in the firewall micro wave it in some water to soften it up and it will go in much easier. you may have to weld up the rear rod and reshape. i didn't go that far. watch out for the springs when you take the shifter apart. they can fly across the garage.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.