Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil and crank case breather
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
Bare with me I know nothing about my "new" 914....

I see setup that connects the oil breather and two crankcase (?) breathers to a foam filter inclosed in an aluminum box. It's a closed loop - nothing escapes to the air.

Is this an aftermarket setup? Or something for emissions (nolonger a regulated concern) ?

The hoses need replacing. But, I resently saw a picture of a 914 engine with a nice little oil breather filter - sure looks cleaner than my hose jungle. Maybe I'll do that!

But, what do I do with the two open crankcase(?) holes?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

You probbly have 2 carbs or 1 . Right This is the way venting engine is handled

when the switch to carbs is Done. Aftermarket!!! I have the same, in side the box is foam

this lets blow by and pressure from the crank case excape to the atmosphere. Take the box apartr and notice the fit of the top ,this allowes venting to happen.

Foam traps oil vapor and lets it return to engine. Those small filters ? don't work.

Drain back to engine is usually done with bottom hose ,thru PCV valve, drill out

the guts of it to vasilate drainage. Dave slap.gif

Mark Henry
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Oct 16 2008, 07:04 AM) *

.....this lets blow by and pressure from the crank case excape to the atmosphere. Take the box apartr and notice the fit of the top ,this allowes venting to happen.

And is why your engine compartment is an oily mess. smile.gif
zeezee
OK - thanks.
The engine was converted to dual carbs. Was setup for autoX - probably why the PO added the breather system.

Since it is now just a daily-driver street machine - why kind of breather system is recommended?

southernmost914
See this recent thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=89195

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.