Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Black L041 Cars are not completely painted ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
SirAndy
See this thread for reference.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...88973&st=40

It appears that at least 3 Owners of Factory Black L041 Cars claim that their front firewall is not painted in body color on the inside.

At this point i'm not sure if it's just primer, but in the picture it looks to be a silver shade.

I know the dash subframe was painted in whatever color was on top of the pile, but the front firewall is part of the unibody, so i'm surprised they didn't paint the inside of the car completely.

Anyone here who can confirm/deny that original black cars were not fully painted?
idea.gif Andy

Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 16 2008, 10:14 PM) *

Anyone here who can confirm/deny that original black cars were not fully painted?
idea.gif Andy

My '71 L21E Tangerine car is not painted there either... just some overspray:
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 17 2008, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 16 2008, 10:14 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

My '71 L21E Tangerine car is not painted there either... just some overspray

Well WTF.gif ???

My '70 1.7L /4 was originally Signal Orange and painted there as well as everywhere else.

Now i'm confuzzled ...
confused24.gif Andy

PS: Btw. I had the *same* black overspray on the center of the subdash. What's up with that?
jonferns
My '74 sunflower yellow car has yellow overspray under the dash, but isn't significantly painted under there.

Click to view attachment

Andy, did your signal orange car ever have the interior resprayed?
SirAndy
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 17 2008, 11:04 AM) *

Andy, did your signal orange car ever have the interior resprayed?

Nope, the interior was the original signal orange until i coated it with POR 15 ...
idea.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Very little paint on the dash wall and black spray application behind dashboard on my '70/4.

Paul
dlestep
...my 74 2.0 was originally white...and the area under the dash is grey, however the floors and firewall between the cabin and engine bay, targa bar interior and longitudinals are white, as well as the center; wheel wells, front trunk and cowl.
Dave... type.gif
914Sixer
Every car I can remember the underdash area is in grey primer. I have not seen one full painted the body color in this area.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 18 2008, 06:57 AM) *

Every car I can remember the underdash area is in grey primer. I have not seen one full painted the body color in this area.

Never mind the 35 years of dust and dirt (my car came from Arizona), but the front firewall and dash area all cleaned up to a nice layer of Signal Orange.

idea.gif Andy

SirAndy
Same goes for my /6 ... idea.gif

dlestep
...never mind !?! ...after everyone jumped from their chair and ran out into the garage, tripping over the pile of dirty clothes in front of the washing machine to turn on the light, and scramble to find the flash light to peer under the dashes of their cars so they could answer the question and investigate their cars if they were fully painted?......damn....

...okay...never mind....
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlestep @ Oct 18 2008, 10:43 AM) *

...never mind !?! ...after everyone jumped from their chair and ran out into the garage, tripping over the pile of dirty clothes in front of the washing machine to turn on the light, and scramble to find the flash light to peer under the dashes of their cars so they could answer the question and investigate their cars if they were fully painted?......damn....

...okay...never mind....

av-943.gif

Noooo, the "never mind" was meant to say "please ignore all the dust and dirt on my cars".
beerchug.gif Andy
Bleyseng
my 76 is greyish primer with overspray too..
Pat Garvey
Have to say that I've never seen an original 914 with the interior front firewall painted with a finish coat - always grey (primer?). Mine has a slight bit of overspray on the front edge (Bahia), but I can't explain it.
Pat
dw914er
andy, maybe your car just had the most overspray of anyone elses.

mines silver, so the primer looks pretty much the same as the normal color, so I've never noticed a difference.
VRROOMM1
[quote name='dw914er' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:12 PM' post='1092864']
andy, maybe your car just had the most overspray of anyone elses.

mines silver, so the primer looks pretty much the same as the normal color, so I've never noticed a difference.
[ my 70 is not painted under the dash,my car is black
Pat Garvey
I hate to keep rehashing this, but the 914 dashboards are unique, in that they are a separate piece of the car - constructed offline. You could end up with anything! You coulld wind up with a gray underdash on any color. If it has a hint of color, I'd bet that it was a "spray" down the line, on some other parts.

The dashes were constructed on a side line. Probably! I have no information to confirm this. Hope that helps! happy11.gif
Pat
davep
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 5 2008, 05:31 PM) *

The dashes were constructed on a side line. Probably! I have no information to confirm this.

The 914/6 dash, while somewhat different, was almost certainly done on a side line. Even the serial # is different than the body #, and in 1970 even had the year digit while the bodies did not. The dash was a significant enough subsystem to warrant a separate serial #.
914runnow
My 73 is the same too...Seems to just 'Feather up ' a bit with the paint...
the 15 or so cars I have had, same way......
The friends we are on now..76..2.0 black...Is Really Sparse for black on the interior!!..Looks as if your carpet in the pic is 75/76 ...at the steering knuckle..
They did need that interior glue though to stick.....
JeffBowlsby
PS

Dave Pateman and I have just been informed by PCNA that Black is paint code L04I, as in "i"pronounced 'eye', not the number '1'

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.