Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner with a few questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sabre0909
I just purchased a 72 914 from the original owner. Car has had a repaint, the interior is pretty rough, and it basically need to be restored. I am pretty familiar with old VWs ive restored and still own two old beetles. Im sure these cars have there querks alot like VWs. First this car runs strong ,starts and idles fine ,doesnt smoke and appears well maintained and stock besides a set of 40 Dellorotos. The first thing i noticed is the gas pedal. It works but moves side to side and would be kinda scary to drive. I've had VW pedals rebuilt before but after i saw the exploded view of the 914 i almost choked! Second the shifter has LOTS of play from side to side but the actual trans seems to shick ok if you find the gears. I'm sure the shifter bushings need replacing and also the shifter should be adjusted. Also where is a good reliable aftermarket source for repair parts on the 914. i've already adjusted to the sticker shock compared to bug parts! Any help would be appreciated
Root_Werks
Get a new or good used gas pedal. Your hinge has rusted appart and you're just using the rubber to keep it together.

Shifters typically on 914's aren't the most precise things in the world. Pre 73's are even a little more vague. New shift rod bushings will help a lot, cheap and easy to install. Pelicanparts.com should have those.

welcome.png

Oh yeah, we want to see pictures of your new 914!
jonferns
Let me be the first to say thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jc914
welcome.png welcome.png
You can also buy parts from www.autoatlanta.com
Cevan
welcome.png

Pictures are mandatory.

The pedal cluster is separate from the gas pedal. The pedal cluster (if it needs new bushings) is easily rebuilt. Gas pedal probably needs replacing. Not sure if you can fix it, although I tried once.

Regarding the shifting, don't forget to check the cone screws (also available at Pelican). They connect the front and rear shift rods together and the rear shift rod to the tranny. They can come loose. Might at well replace them if you're ordering a bunch of parts anyways. Pelican sells a kit with all the parts you need in one package for about $50.

sabre0909
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 17 2008, 02:52 PM) *

Get a new or good used gas pedal. Your hinge has rusted appart and you're just using the rubber to keep it together.

Shifters typically on 914's aren't the most precise things in the world. Pre 73's are even a little more vague. New shift rod bushings will help a lot, cheap and easy to install. Pelicanparts.com should have those.

welcome.png

Oh yeah, we want to see pictures of your new 914!

Heres a crappy cell phone pic. i'll post some more once i get it cleaned up! Also how do i tell what size engine??
Trav012000
Took me awhile to find my engine code, this pic helped me:

IPB Image
ruddyboys

First this car runs strong ,starts and idles fine ,doesnt smoke

Sounds like you need to have your whole engine rebuilt. happy11.gif
welcome.png
RoadGlue
If I recall correctly, late 72s were equipped with side shifter transaxles. Does your car have a side shift or tail shift transaxle? It's probably a tail shifter, but you should just confirm before ordering bushings.
Joe Owensby
In addition to Pelican and Auto Atlanta, there are a lot of member vendors on this site. I have had really good luck with both Pelican, Auto Atlanta, Eric Shea's store (I think it is PMB), and others. Just look in the membor vendor area on this web site.

Where in SC are you. I live in Spartanburg, and have a 73 that I bought in 73.

JoeO.
dbgriffith75
welcome.png

You came to the right place for all your teener restoration needs... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.