Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: McIntosh audio in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rod
Ok a little thread about upgrading the Hifi in a 914....

I Finished the interior today piratenanner.gif New carpet set went in which I ordered from appearance and performance, I also ordered some extra material so I could cover my sub box.

I'm running some pretty esoteric equipment in this 914, McIntosh MX406 & MPM4000 built int the dash (I deleted the glovebox and built an aluminium panel to hold the HU & meters. The amp is a Mcintosh MC4000M - The mother of all SQ car amps... The sub is a CDT 8" SQ sub, I managed to squeeze a 9 litre enclosure into the footwell. the sub faces up at the dash, rather than be kicked by the passengers..

I'm very impressed with the sub - it is in a TINY box, yet sounds like a much bigger enclosure, I'm chuffed.

Anyway some pics...

The car in question

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The speakers are KEF Kar 160q's (They have the tweeter in the middle of the midrange cone)

Thanks A&P - very happy with your carpet set beer3.gif
dw914er
looks really good, and very very clean!!
ruddyboys
Very Nice. beerchug.gif
What is that were the glove box use to be, can't quite make it out.
Rod
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Oct 17 2008, 09:23 PM) *

Very Nice. beerchug.gif
What is that were the glove box use to be, can't quite make it out.

Thats a McIntosh MPM4000 It's a VU meter showing output of the amps. Matches the HU obviously, I never used the Glovebox and it's contents rattled anyway, so it was deleted..
Root_Werks
Very nice! Now start producing them so we can buy some. biggrin.gif
Rod
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 17 2008, 09:27 PM) *

Very nice! Now start producing them so we can buy some. biggrin.gif

What the sub box? I realize there is a gap in the market for these things, as I would have bought one if I could have...... But it took me a long time to make this one off sad.gif I'm in the UK too, I'm sure these would sell far better over with you guys, but shipping would be extortionate. If someone wants to make a mold, come over beerchug.gif
jc914
GREAT JOB. I am to in the process of updating my sound system and restoration also. That installation looks very clean i do like the McIntosh MPM4000 . smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
Rod, The install looks great. smilie_pokal.gif I really like how the MacIntosh meters look.

T.C.
retrofit
Very tasteful setup!
Got a amp question. How are you powering speakers and sub?
Is the amp for sub only, or are you doing a 3-way with amp powering sub and speakers too?
What is the rating of your amp? How about amp location?
One other amp question, I have seen 5-way amps, 4 outputs for speakers and 1 dedicated for a sub. What is your opinion.
The reason for asking is this is the same type of setup i am in the process of putting together for my car. It r3eally helps to see what other people are doing
to their cars.
TIA
Retrofit
Rod
QUOTE(retrofit @ Oct 17 2008, 10:24 PM) *

Very tasteful setup!
Got a amp question. How are you powering speakers and sub?
Is the amp for sub only, or are you doing a 3-way with amp powering sub and speakers too?
What is the rating of your amp? How about amp location?
One other amp question, I have seen 5-way amps, 4 outputs for speakers and 1 dedicated for a sub. What is your opinion.
The reason for asking is this is the same type of setup i am in the process of putting together for my car. It r3eally helps to see what other people are doing
to their cars.
TIA
Retrofit

OK Retrofit... I am powering the system with a Soundstream Class A 10.2 amp at the moment. This one amp is powering both the components and the subwoofer which is bridged across both channels. It is in the rear trunk, from where I have run speaker cables and power etc (big job)

Currently it is running purely passive, with these in the rear trunk too. I would not do it this way usually though, this is a temporary setup....

I have big plans for this system - I am waiting for a McIntosh MC4000M Six channel amp to arrive which I recently bought in the USA. This new amp will then take the place of the current amp.

In my opinion it is far better to have a separate channel of amplification for each speaker used, so if you are having a sub, get a four way amp, so you can bridge two channels to drive the sub. (2 Channels on the fronts, then 1 (bridged) on the sub.) Don't get too carried away though - this hobby costs me thousands. headbang.gif

If you want to see the build of the car, check this thread in the UK.. http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=268399
veltror
Nice, surely with all that sound heating should eb low on your list of priorities
Rod
QUOTE(veltror @ Oct 18 2008, 03:47 AM) *

Nice, surely with all that sound heating should eb low on your list of priorities

The carpet set has made a real difference actually, it feels far warmer now biggrin.gif

Regarding those Flapper boxes on ebay - The broken one is the one I need, so I may just leave it and get from Porsche??

Fired up the system tonight, and after a problem with me making a STUPID mistake and connecting the Subwoofer crossover back to front which was causing the amp to go into protection (only took me 6 hours to diagnose that one chair.gif )

Sounds amazing, the sub is trying to shake the car apart shades.gif
orthobiz
Beyond awesome. Keeps in line with the spirit of the original car, reimagines it for the future. Bravo!!!

Paul
RJMII
McIntosh makes some good stuff. very good stuff. They also have some seriously nice styling. It looks good in there.
Rod
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 19 2008, 11:38 PM) *

Beyond awesome. Keeps in line with the spirit of the original car, reimagines it for the future. Bravo!!!

Paul

Thanks, thats such a kind comment beerchug.gif I did try to integrate the sub box with the car rather than stick out like a sore thumb... Hence ordering extra of the same carpet from James & Heidi.

Thanks again. aktion035.gif

QUOTE(RJMII @ Oct 21 2008, 04:21 AM) *

McIntosh makes some good stuff. very good stuff. They also have some seriously nice styling. It looks good in there.

The Mx406 is the best Headunit I have ever heard and it's so well made - I cant wait to get the big amp fitted too smile.gif

Really delighted that you guys like what I've done, It's refreshing that the 914 as a general rule takes well to tasteful modifications without the usual belittling of all modifications. You wouldn't know by looking in the cabin, that anything has been done to it, but if you get in and listen you'd be amazed shades.gif
Rod
thought you guys might want to know how this is progressing, So I'll do an update for you...

The cabin was all done last time, now through the wonders of Fedex I have received the amp I had been waiting for from your side of the pond. smile.gif

IPB Image

It is now residing in the boot of the car, I have made a panel beneath it where the X-overs sit and the fuse box etc.

IPB Image

You dont have a direct youtube link within this forum do you (I couldn't see it on the panel,) so here is a link to something a little fun smash.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkaXuA5qqPo

Making a cover for the whole thing too, this is having a ttoughened glass window showing off the amp, then the rest will be covered in vinyl which matches the interior.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Even tough a hell of a lot of equipment has gone into the car, I am trying to keep it as stock looking as possible shades.gif

What do you reckon?
So.Cal.914
What do you reckon?

I reckon you won't have to turn the V knob up much.

Your work looks good mate. smile.gif
seanery
Looks cool! That amp is a monster!!! ohmy.gif
ericread
That's an absolutely beautiful setup for a show car. You obviously couldn't park it anywhere in Southern California as the components would be gone in an hour.

In fact, I work hard to make my stereo equipment as invisible as possible...

So is this car going on the show circuit?

Rod
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 11 2009, 04:50 PM) *

That's an absolutely beautiful setup for a show car. You obviously couldn't park it anywhere in Southern California as the components would be gone in an hour.

In fact, I work hard to make my stereo equipment as invisible as possible...

So is this car going on the show circuit?

No just for my own use. You can only see the HU when you look in the cabin, now don't forget that I am in the UK so McIntosh is reasonably rare and unknown over here - A couple of friends who don't know about audio saw the Headunit and asked if it was the original 1970's unit confused24.gif So I'm confident that the car doesn't scream "expensive car audio inside" at the passer by.

monkeyboy
Did you do any charging modifications to keep up with that amp? I know my Soundstream Class A 10.0 has a 60 or 80 amp fuse on it. Can the charging system handle that much of a load?
Rod
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 11 2009, 05:13 PM) *

Did you do any charging modifications to keep up with that amp? I know my Soundstream Class A 10.0 has a 60 or 80 amp fuse on it. Can the charging system handle that much of a load?

If necessary I will have the alternator rewound to give me a higher output smile.gif

All I have done so far is improve the cabling throughout and the battery is an Odyssey. The original loom is not being used for any form of audio equipment, the feeds all come from that Streetwires combo block in the rear. The next job on the list is an engine stripdown check and rebuild - so I'll cross the alternator bridge when it's out of the car. smile.gif

The Soundstream Class A does have an 80 amp fuse in it, but it only ever drew that sort of power when running 6 x 10inch subs at 145db!!! The McIntosh will not pull that much power, I have had it running at normal listening volumes and it needs 7.5 - 12amps.
Zundfolge
Beautiful setup!

Should sound wonderful (at least when parked ... dunno how good its going to sound wizzing down the road with the top down. I don't even have a radio in my car, but with the Kerry Hunter header and Supertrapp I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway tongue.gif )
dkjens
Has anybody tried BassShakers in a Teener?

I had one set of these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=299-028 except mine were not the Pro, but a set rated at only 35W screwed to the floor boards under the front seats of my '93 Chevy C1500 truck. Everybody who rode in that truck looked around for the big "box" because they really had that effect. At the time I paid $100.00 for the set, and they did eventually burn out (I powered them with a 200W amp).
Later I got a promotional email and I picked up four sets of these (eight units total) for $100.00. I don't have the rear vinyl cover on my firewall, so I'm thinking of mounting maybe four on the firewall between the seats, and two more in the floor in front of each seat.
Rod
QUOTE(dkjens @ Feb 11 2009, 09:07 PM) *

Has anybody tried BassShakers in a Teener?

I had one set of these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=299-028 except mine were not the Pro, but a set rated at only 35W screwed to the floor boards under the front seats of my '93 Chevy C1500 truck. Everybody who rode in that truck looked around for the big "box" because they really had that effect. At the time I paid $100.00 for the set, and they did eventually burn out (I powered them with a 200W amp).
Later I got a promotional email and I picked up four sets of these (eight units total) for $100.00. I don't have the rear vinyl cover on my firewall, so I'm thinking of mounting maybe four on the firewall between the seats, and two more in the floor in front of each seat.

Personally I have never used one, I remember them coming to market and heard good reviews, but I have never heard one or installed one.

Maybe someone else has hopefully - they go against my ideas of Sound quality unsure.gif
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 11 2009, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 11 2009, 05:13 PM) *

If necessary I will have the alternator rewound to give me a higher output smile.gif

All I have done so far is improve the cabling throughout and the battery is an Odyssey. The original loom is not being used for any form of audio equipment, the feeds all come from that Streetwires combo block in the rear. The next job on the list is an engine stripdown check and rebuild - so I'll cross the alternator bridge when it's out of the car. smile.gif

The Soundstream Class A does have an 80 amp fuse in it, but it only ever drew that sort of power when running 6 x 10inch subs at 145db!!! The McIntosh will not pull that much power, I have had it running at normal listening volumes and it needs 7.5 - 12amps.

Cool. I have never monitored what the amps were doing in real time. I just make sure I have enough reserve capacity for a balls out run. The two Odysseys and a 240 amp alternator in my truck should cover it. smile.gif But then I am running a Class A 10.0, a Class A Picasso, and a Reference 1000s in my truck. I don't want to run out of juice.
Rod

Cool. I have never monitored what the amps were doing in real time. I just make sure I have enough reserve capacity for a balls out run. The two Odysseys and a 240 amp alternator in my truck should cover it. smile.gif But then I am running a Class A 10.0, a Class A Picasso, and a Reference 1000s in my truck. I don't want to run out of juice.

Cool system! I'm into Soundstream stuff too, I have a Class A 10.2, Picasso, renoir and a Balanced XO to run it all, and two Soundstream SS10rs pray.gif
Cevan
Rod, how did you make the sub enclosure? Any pictures of that process?
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 12 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Cool system! I'm into Soundstream stuff too, I have a Class A 10.2, Picasso, renoir and a Balanced XO to run it all, and two Soundstream SS10rs pray.gif

Sweet collection. I love the old Soundstreams. beer.gif
Rod
Small update -

I have finished the amp cover, this will be covered in vinyl to match the backpad etc..

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This then lifts up like so..

IPB Image

And the amp tips forward to reveal the gubbins underneath..

IPB Image

The head unit is being returned tomorrow, so I start tuning at the weekend.. smile.gif

This is definitely not one for the Wine & Cheese crowd lol-2.gif

I need to start thinking about contacting Jake Raby about building me a 2270 motor to pull it around a bit smoother soon beerchug.gif
turboman808
I had no idea they made stuff for cars. That's pretty crazy putting that in a 914.
thesey914
Rod, that is beautifully engineered. One question though -what type of music is played through it, I bet it ain't the cheeky girls? smile.gif
jsayre914
I love it, Very nice cabinet in the back. Im a little jelous, you made it look like it belongs there. Too bad we cant hear it.

I am also working on a rear trunk cabinet for my car. Its fun to see what other people are doing.

i would appreciate if you critique mine

pray.gif
Rod
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 5 2009, 11:07 PM) *

Rod, that is beautifully engineered. One question though -what type of music is played through it, I bet it ain't the cheeky girls? smile.gif

Thankyou, nice comment smile.gif I mainly listen to 'Aqua' and the Spice girls. cheer.gif av-943.gif

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 5 2009, 11:11 PM) *

I love it, Very nice cabinet in the back. Im a little jelous, you made it look like it belongs there. Too bad we cant hear it.

I am also working on a rear trunk cabinet for my car. Its fun to see what other people are doing.

i would appreciate if you critique mine

pray.gif

Well thanks, the whole intention was to make it look 'factory' Once the cover is covered in vinyl, it really will look (hopefully) original. smash.gif

Post yours up, I'll have a look and give criticism/advice/praise, whatever is necessary beerchug.gif
Rod
Well I have very nearly finished smile.gif We had a couple of rare days of sunshine over here in England over the weekend, so I got outside with a sander and finished preparing the top cover..... Then got some 6.5mm laminated glass cut to size and covered the build in matching vinyl... Pic fest to follow!!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

So I hope you think it looks reasonably factory fresh??!! It sounds amazing, I get a strong central image and vocals come from on the bonnet. It actually sounds as good as my home setup which is a miracle in such a small car cheer.gif

The best comment was from my wife, who came home from work yesterday and said, I quote "Wow, did you do that??" beerchug.gif
rjames
Does it get too hot back there above the exhaust for the amp to be properly ventilated?
Rod
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 2 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Does it get too hot back there above the exhaust for the amp to be properly ventilated?

Not as yet, No. The amp has four fans built in which work in various stages...

two fans either end -

1 - stage one, one end fans on low

2 - stage two, above fans kick upto full speed

3 - stage three, fans at opposite end switch onto full.

So far I have had it upto stage two, playing music loud on a hot day, but it wasn't really too hot. This amp is a fabulous piece of engineering - it seems to take everything in it's stride. I was into Soundstream old school amps before McIntosh and they were as reliable as 1980's Alfa Romeo electrics.... av-943.gif

the system has now been tuned and it sounds fabulous - it images above the dash and the soundstage extends outside the car left/right - I am very pleased with it, but have now finished so am a little bored and need another project. sawzall-smiley.gif
degreeoff
geez that might actually over power the ambient noise in my teener....V E R Y nice!
Rod
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 7 2009, 08:46 PM) *

geez that might actually over power the ambient noise in my teener....V E R Y nice!

It does in mine piratenanner.gif Just got back in from a spin and when it's pumping all you can hear is the music you want to listen to smile.gif Hotel California never sounded better!

with the soundproofing on the firewall I can't hear the engine at speed at all.

I realize that this may be against the ethos of the 914, but I just love it
r_towle
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 7 2009, 03:46 PM) *

I have hear yours...no stereo would overpower that six....

R
Rod
Thought I'd keep you guys upto speed as some big changes have been made to the front of the system.. I don't know but my 914 could be the only one in the world to have HLCDs' or horns fitted??

So I had heavily modified morph speaker builds in and loved thise for a while, but wanted to try something different, so I wanted to put some speakers in the doors and tweeters on the A pillars and horns under the dash - not an easy task.

I didn't want the doors to rattle at all, so I deadened the hell out of them and then cnc'd up a 4mm steel panel which is bolted to the door and the speaker is bolted to that..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then the horns - These fit under the dash and sound best as far back as possible, so remove the lower dash pad and fit horns to metalwork..

IPB Image

Then I stripped the lower pad and cut the lower half of the vinyl away, level with the top of the horns.. I then put a piece of speaker grill cloth from this cut - hotglued in (attached to a piece of baton the width of the car) so when stretched you literally can't see the cut/join between the two fabrics)) The grill cloth was then glued again to the underside of the horns following another piece of metal bar being ran from one side to the other to enable the grill cloth to flow smoothly. And they then look like this..

IPB Image

IPB Image

To someone that doesn't know the car you can't see any speakers which was my initial want for the system, so I reckon It's nearly there... Tweeter builds on teh A pillars coming next - What do you reckon??

sunglasses.gif

thesey914
loving your work there Rod 8)
Rod
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Sep 19 2010, 04:59 PM) *

loving your work there Rod 8)

Thankyou smile.gif The Hifi is now finished and I need a project this winter - so come over, take me for a spin in your six and persuade me that I can't live without an engine change!!
jsayre914
Your system is awesome, I love the work and detail. Can you post a pic of the door once it is all back togeather? i cant wait to see the end result.

I am working on a system of my own as we speek. smile.gif
Rod
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 19 2010, 05:07 PM) *

Your system is awesome, I love the work and detail. Can you post a pic of the door once it is all back togeather? i cant wait to see the end result.

I am working on a system of my own as we speek. smile.gif

The last picture looking through the car is with it finished... I didn't want to be able to see anything in the way of hifi when it was parked up with the top off, so it all fits behind the standard door cards, which I have left totally factory apart from cutting away the board around the driver itself and then punched out holes covering the diameter of the speaker. The door cards are houndstooth and I removed the lower indentations in the fabric - so even if you look closely, you can't see there's anything there.. - It was then re-stretched and fixed back on the original door card wink.gif

I found another couple of pics, which may explain it better - if you look at the speaker, it's flush with the door..

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
That's crazy stuff !!!! WOW !!!
thesey914
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 19 2010, 04:04 PM) *

so come over, take me for a spin in your six and persuade me that I can't live without an engine change!!

You CANNOT LIVE without an engine six transplant biggrin.gif . I only have Enrique Iglesias and Ndubs in my stereo though.
Rod
A new boot build has been done smile.gif

Now running three Soundstream amps.. I have built all this so the amps can be covered by a piece of carpet which is being made up for me.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Jon H.
Install looks great. I have always wanted sound stream gear (remember the Tarantula?!) But it was always out of my budget when I was younger and now its still out of my budget and priorities dry.gif Have you ever thought about building a ported box for the front trunk and porting it into the cabin? I have been thinking about it but it would require a hole through the gas tank which could be be fixed by welding a piece of pipe or pipes (depending on design) though the tank giving you a tunnel to feed the port/ports through. Or run a fuel cell and you can use the existing tank area for the box and have much shorter ports. I do prefer sealed boxes but these cars are limited in space. An Isobartic design might be good too. These are just some things I think about while I build my car.

Regards'

Jon
Rod
Hi and thankyou!

I love these old Soundstream amps, they are all the Class A series from around 1994. One Picasso on each side and then a 10.2 running the sub. I loved these when they were new, but couldn't afford!!!

I have often thought about how I can improve the bass, and in my opinion a sealed box always sounds better for sound quality, ported boxes are great for spl, but a sealed one is tighter and more correct, so I'll stick with those.. What I would love to do is put a fuel cell in the spare wheel well, remove the fuel tank and put the sub in a metal baffle in the firewall, using the space the fuel tank once filled as the sub box. It would need to be well sealed and the correct size volume for the sub used, but easily achieved.

This is my next 'upgrade' but what I really want to do is get another 914 and go all out, removing the dash and putting the midbass in the firewall too. The horns could then sit even further back so the image appears beyond the screen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.