Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: throttle body sticking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i was driving around yesterday - when all of a sudden my engine reved up extreme - i shut down and pulled to the side of the road - i figured my throttle cable snapped or my return spring popped off.

so i looked under the hood and all looked ok and then i pulled up the carpet to see what was going on near my gas peddle but all looked ok.

drove home about 5 miles after gettting a push to get started - different problem - al the way in 3rd gear, shutting engine down when i hit 60mph, made it thru several tricky intersections - finnaly stalled out two houses from mine because my neighbors where chatting in the street blocking my path home.

two problems - the lever on my TB - several times - returned from full open to about 1/4 open - got stuck there? kink in throttle cable somewhere it think? cable are not twisted in center console.

and it seems no matter what spring in put on my throttle body - it does not seem to pull it closed fully. can it be just gummed up?
r_towle
You have been warned.
Its winter season now....stop driving your car and start working on the list of things todo on your car.

Get out the jack stands and assume the position

Rich
solex
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 18 2008, 09:05 AM) *

i was driving around yesterday - when all of a sudden my engine reved up extreme - i shut down and pulled to the side of the road - i figured my throttle cable snapped or my return spring popped off.

so i looked under the hood and all looked ok and then i pulled up the carpet to see what was going on near my gas peddle but all looked ok.

drove home about 5 miles after gettting a push to get started - different problem - al the way in 3rd gear, shutting engine down when i hit 60mph, made it thru several tricky intersections - finnaly stalled out two houses from mine because my neighbors where chatting in the street blocking my path home.

two problems - the lever on my TB - several times - returned from full open to about 1/4 open - got stuck there? kink in throttle cable somewhere it think? cable are not twisted in center console.

and it seems no matter what spring in put on my throttle body - it does not seem to pull it closed fully. can it be just gummed up?

I had a similar problem the throttle plate is not bushed and goes directly through the pot metal on the body. It gets warn and the plate starts t dig into the the bore which causes it to stick...

I pulled mine apart and cleaned everything and and readjusted the plate stop. This is a temporary solution eventually I will need to install some brass guides. There was/is someone on the site that could do this but I do not remember his name.
orange914
QUOTE(solex @ Oct 18 2008, 10:18 AM) *

I had a similar problem the throttle plate is not bushed and goes directly through the pot metal on the body. It gets warn and the plate starts t dig into the the bore which causes it to stick...

I pulled mine apart and cleaned everything and and readjusted the plate stop. This is a temporary solution eventually I will need to install some brass guides. There was/is someone on the site that could do this but I do not remember his name.

temparily of course until you have the shaft rebushed, you can run a trail of white lube around the exterior shaft to body. this helps tempararily seal the air leakage that gets in through a worn shaft. oh the worn carburator days... stromberg.gif
jimkelly
turns out the sticking was due to a frayed throttle cable at the firewall.

the other day i removed the TB and cleaned it up real good - there did not seems to be any way for it to bind like it was.

so today - i removed the throttle cable and BAM - big time fray at firewall area.

luckily i had a spare - off my v8 car - since i recently upgraded it with a 18 inch longer cable.

still my engine runs like shit - maybe some bad spark plug wires?

jim
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 18 2008, 09:40 AM) *

You have been warned.
Its winter season now....stop driving your car and start working on the list of things todo on your car.

Get out the jack stands and assume the position

Rich

...that's just wrong...especially coming from you. where's the pic of your car covered in road salt!
Ericv1
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 12 2008, 01:32 PM) *

turns out the sticking was due to a frayed throttle cable at the firewall.

the other day i removed the TB and cleaned it up real good - there did not seems to be any way for it to bind like it was.

so today - i removed the throttle cable and BAM - big time fray at firewall area.

luckily i had a spare - off my v8 car - since i recently upgraded it with a 18 inch longer cable.

still my engine runs like shit - maybe some bad spark plug wires?

jim

I had this happen with two throttle cables purchased from Pelican. They were brand new and when I attached the cable, the pressure would cause them to crimp the cable. I had to use a small screwdriver to spread the wires apart. I then applied some 3-N-1 oil and haven't had a problem in a year.
jimkelly
one note for all - when you push a new throttle cable thru the tube thru the center console - there is a good chance it will have wrapped itself once around the clutch cable - you much ensure it is not wrapped around the clutch cable before you connect it to the throttle bell crank. in fact it is best to untangle before you attach the forward end fittings onto the cables threaded end, look down the center concsole thru the front access hole with a mirror and flash light. if you don't ensure it is not tangled - when you step on the clutch you rpm's will rev - not good ; )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.