Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My starter is Kaput!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Found these things on ebay a while back. Anyone ever used them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-911...emZ320305724624
Thoughts? confused24.gif Thanks
Mark D.
Wilhelm
Do a search for +mini +starter +ebay. IIRC there were quite a few threads abouts people having issues with these ministarters eating ring gears. Some of the issue IIRC is shimming the depth of the starter for the proper engagement. Heres a thread about these http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75173
VaccaRabite
If you get the right one, they are great.
If you get the wrong one they need to be shimmed to be great.

Zach
Mark Henry
Many peeps buy them because the can't get their engine to roll over after a rebuild. After running in even the highest CR engine only needs a stock starter.

I have one that I will put on an engine if I have this issue, but I swap it out for a stocker right away...to me it's a real POS.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 19 2008, 07:50 AM) *

Many peeps buy them because the can't get their engine to roll over after a rebuild. After running in even the highest CR engine only needs a stock starter.

I have one that I will put on an engine if I have this issue, but I swap it out for a stocker right away...to me it's a real POS.

If your engine won't turn over after a rebuild with a stock starter, the problem is with the rebuild, not the starter. The Cap'n
turnaround89
I bought one and it works great, sounds a lot different than a stock one though. Takes some getting used too!
hydroliftin
I got the one you linked on e-bay and have had it for about 6 months with no problems. I swapped out the OEM starter when I rebuilt my 2 litre. It works great and seems to turn over quicker than the stock one. Weighs less too.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 19 2008, 04:54 AM) *

If you get the right one, they are great.
If you get the wrong one they need to be shimmed to be great.

Zach

Well, I took the plunge and got one. However, I apparently didn't get the right one, because after a couple false starts (starter wouldn't disengage), a tear down, and some reverse engineering, I determined I needed about a .060" shim to make it engage/disengage properly. mad.gif Not saying I wasn't warned, but I figured for 120 bucks that the shimming issue was fixable, and the weight savings was worth it.
I don't like the idea of using washers on a starter that supposedly puts out 525 lb/ft of torque, though. I just doesn't seem like enough mating surface for all that force to be contained. So I did a couple hours of work on the CNC mill at school. Here's what I came up with. Works great now!
Click to view attachment
Anyone know why this is a problem in the first place. I know they use some stock Bosch parts. Are they assuming they're all the same when they're not? That's the only thing I can think of, because I'm pretty sure that they use the stock casting that holds the starter motor and mates to the bell housing. Maybe there's .060" difference in two different castings that Bosch knew about and these people don't. Just speculating.
Anyways, just thought I'd share.
Mark D.
ClayPerrine
There is a big difference in the quality of manufacturing in these, depending on where you get them. the cheap ones on Ebay are usually for a universal setup, which will work on a 911, 914, 944.. ect...

I am not shilling for Zims, but the mini starter they sell is the good one. They actually bought multiple starters from multiple vendors to find the right one. It fits. It does have to be reclocked to fit a 914, but it is a simple thing to do.

I have never had a ring gear problem with either of our 914s, and we have had these starters for 4 years on Betty's car, and 3 on mine.

And it cured the hot start problem on Betty's 914.

ericread
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 14 2008, 06:40 AM) *

There is a big difference in the quality of manufacturing in these, depending on where you get them. the cheap ones on Ebay are usually for a universal setup, which will work on a 911, 914, 944.. ect...

I am not shilling for Zims, but the mini starter they sell is the good one. They actually bought multiple starters from multiple vendors to find the right one. It fits. It does have to be reclocked to fit a 914, but it is a simple thing to do.

I have never had a ring gear problem with either of our 914s, and we have had these starters for 4 years on Betty's car, and 3 on mine.

And it cured the hot start problem on Betty's 914.

OK, before anybody else chimes in, I'm an idiot... That said, what do you mean when you say "reclocked"?

Thanks

Eric Read wavey.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 14 2008, 08:52 AM) *

...what do you mean when you say "reclocked"?

Thanks

Eric Read wavey.gif

agree.gif confused24.gif
Mark D.
zambezi
He means the starter solenoid is is the wrong location so you must disassemble the nose cone portion and reinstall it in the right configuration. If you don't when you go to put the starter in the slenoid will most likely hit the floor of the trunk or the case of the trans., depending on how it was originally "clocked".
JIM
ericread
QUOTE(zambezi @ Nov 14 2008, 11:07 AM) *

He means the starter solenoid is is the wrong location so you must disassemble the nose cone portion and reinstall it in the right configuration. If you don't when you go to put the starter in the slenoid will most likely hit the floor of the trunk or the case of the trans., depending on how it was originally "clocked".
JIM

Thanks!

Eric Read
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.