Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wideband oxygen sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
Interested in converting my narrow band O2 sensor to a wideband. What production cars have wideband O2 sensors which can be removed at the salvage yard?

Thanks,
fiid
I would sail over to the diy wb site and see what they like. You know that wideband sensors don't just drop in right? They require a pretty introcate circuit to control their heater and also to derive the right outputs. From what I gather the diy-wb is roughly okay, but is not by any means a perfect solution. It's also a bit tricky to build and get right.

Fiid.

http://www.diy-wb.com/
TimT
Those lean burn hondas from the early 90's have widebands..

NTK L1 H1 etc..

The sensors arent stupid expensive...but...

you willl have to come up with some sort of extra circuitry to use a wideband in a narrow band situation.... you need to preheat them, etc..., and they work on a whole different scale than narrow bands....
LS6/914
2000 Cad Catera only in front of cat, post cat are different. 03 Cad CTS also. These sensors require a program to operate the "pump" circuit.
mightyohm
A bunch of late model VWs do.

I got a pair of wb02 sensors NEW for about $25 bucks each for the VW application. These are the Bosch LSU4 variety. (Not compatable with the NTK.)

Check out http://www.wbo2.com for a controller and info on the sensors.
DNHunt
Wide band O2 is the way to go. I built the DIY unit as part of my MegaSquirt system. It is the only part that has been any trouble. It uses the NTK sensor which is fine but the driver board is a real pain in the ass. MS read the raw voltages and I can watch realtime readings and a bar graph or gauge on the laptop. That parts really trick. As a stand alone unit all you would see would be raw voltages off a digital voltage meter. You'd have to do the conversion to A/F in your head.

The Tekedge unit looks like a really nice unit. I'd recommend the Bosch sensor as it can be hard to find the NTK sensor.

Dave
fiid
I second that. agree.gif The megasquirt is a really well developed kit, it has very clear assemly instructions, and an extremely well designed board. There is only minor tweaking you might want to do after the fact. The DIY-WB kit is nowhere near as easy and relies on a lot of manipulation of analog voltages with certain resistor values etc. There is no processor, so the whole thing is a bit of a black art (is that term PC?) So anyways - I would look in to other kits or products as I think they may be of higher quality. The UltraMegaSquirt will, btw, have an excellent Wideband driver - Bruce and Al (MS guys) have spent a HUGE amount of time and money on getting that part correct. Also - they are working on using spark ionization for automatic derivation of spark advance with a feedback loop. Freakin cool shit.

Apologies for the single paragraph brainfart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.