Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the Forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
westdesert
Hi All,
Im new to the forum but enjoying it very much. my son is 15 and interested in auto mechanics. He has about 6 months befor he can drive on his own. I have always thought the 914 was cool so we picked up one for his first car . I agreed to help but it is his project. We could sure use help from you experts.
The P.O. said he had just had it worked on and it was running great (about 8 years ago) said that it had a carb fire and that he got it put out but it wouldnt turn over after that.
since bringing it home, an hour here and there and a month later the engine is out and torn down to the pistons. as the pics will hopefully show one cylinder was full of ash and the intake valve is stuck open,also looks like some moisture has gotten in over time. any idea what happened?
Please check out the pics and make any suggestions on what actions are needed next. I have swapped a couple engines before but have no experiance in rebuilding.

first a couple of the car the night we brought it home. he was a pretty happy kid that night.

IPB Image

IPB Image

here are the valves and pistons

IPB Image

IPB Image

the valves oppisit the "fire" looked like this

IPB Image

anything we can learn from th condition of these parts will be helpful.
one last thing it is 1975 1.8 converted to a 2.0 according to the P.O. does this seems right as the engine is a EC.
thanks, and dont be afraid to explain things in the simpelist of terms.
kelly
pktzygt
I'm new here too, but I don't think this one belongs in the Member Vender Forum. biggrin.gif
jsayre914
welcome.png Looks like you have a lot of Fun ahead biggrin.gif
One thing I learned here is that if you need anything, always post a wanted ad befor you go to the catalogs, This place is GREAT!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.