Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Losing oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Everytime i drive my car, there is always a little pool of oil that collects behind a little hole by cylinder 3, the oil collects on top of the cooling tins in the back corner of the car. The hole is next to the nut that holds the intake on, its about .5inch diameter or smaller(didn't measure it just guessing) What can i do to stop this oil issue? I also noticed this same hole is on the opposite side of the engine but instead of being behind the intake it is in front of the intake by cylinder 2, no oil comes out of that hole. Maybe the oil isn't coming out of the holes but somewhere else. All i know is that oil collects by cylinder 3 on top of the cooling tins. thanks everybody!! help my car not spew oil, my dad hates oil spots when i pull into the driveway
southernmost914
Sounds like your missing your rocker/head vent hoses. You have carbs , don't you? Show us a picture. unsure.gif

Steve
turnaround89
yes, the PO sold the orig 2.0 that was in the car and put a 1.8L carbed engine in. I will get a pic as soon as im done writing my paper for a humanities class. give me like 10 minutes
Doug Leggins
I have had oil in the same place. My issue turned out to be a leaking valve cover gasket.
jsayre914
what kinda oil are you using?? I had the same problem pool in the rear tin, I changed to the cheapest 20-50 motoroil and added a can of purple stuff. I think it was called " compression in a can" from flaps. I wiped the tin clean, and never saw the puddle again. smile.gif
turnaround89
I don't know what oil is in the car at the moment, i have only drove it about 10 miles max since ive had it. An oil change wouldn't hurt. However, i have never seen a 20w-50 oil at autozone or any autoparts store where i live.

I think i might have extra valve cover gaskets if i need to put those on i will, no problem there. The picture will be here in just a minute, gotta print this paper!
southernmost914
I'm pretty sure your missing a crankcase breather system.
like this or better, 3 hoses. The blue one that you see and one to each head wich are not in view.
Click to view attachment

Steve
turnaround89
Would the ones from the heads go into the breather system, or somewhere else?

Here is the pictures i promised

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
southernmost914
Those should have hoses going to a aftermarket breather system.
Steve
turnaround89
was there ever a stock breather system? Where can i get the breather system? thanks
r_towle
You have two choices.
You can go get two brass 90 degree barbed fittings at the local hardware store (one side is barbed the other side is threaded)
Drill two holes, one on the top of each air filter cover and then using the fitting, attach that fitting to the top of the intake and run a hose to each head breather (there is one on the other side at the front of the head)

Second option is look up CBperformance.com and you can buy an aftermarket breather from them.

The aftermarket breather system has one drawback...it allows oil mist to blow out into the engine bay and eventually you get everything covered...its a light mist.

Rich
turnaround89
Do i have to put the fitting onto the top of the air filter cover or can i run them at the bottom in the corners? There is a white fitting like you mentioned underneath the carb already that the hose from the oil inlet goes to that fitting, the hose im talking about is the light blue one in southernmost914 picture, his goes to the aftermarket breather and mines goes to the fitting underneath the carb. What about like a three way fitting so that all 3 lines collect into one hole or should i just stick with all three lines having seperate fittings? Thanks for the help, im off to the hardware store.
southernmost914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Oct 20 2008, 07:52 PM) *

Do i have to put the fitting onto the top of the air filter cover or can i run them at the bottom in the corners? There is a white fitting like you mentioned underneath the carb already that the hose from the oil inlet goes to that fitting, the hose im talking about is the light blue one in southernmost914 picture, his goes to the aftermarket breather and mines goes to the fitting underneath the carb. What about like a three way fitting so that all 3 lines collect into one hole or should i just stick with all three lines having seperate fittings? Thanks for the help, im off to the hardware store.

That will work! Both ways.

Steve
Grelber
I had a breather problem too, and my engine guy said not to run the breather hoses into the carbs, because you don't want to put that oil back into the intake system and gunk it up.

I put a WTB ad here on the board, and had a great deal on an Empi tank within a few hours. The tank has a foam filter inside that I clean out every few months, so it doesn't put the oil mist out onto the engine.
SirAndy
On a FI motor, those each have a hose going to the airfilter.

On carbed motors, you can use a aftermarket catch can setup that will drain back into the oil filler neck. The one i had on my 2056 was from CB performance.

bye1.gif Andy
turnaround89
SirAndy, on your setup your middle line that goes to the filler tank goes into the hole there. I think the hole on my filler tank is on the opposite side than yours. Just out of curioity, how does the catch can thing eliminate the oil issue? Why will the oil go into the catch can rather than onto my cooling tins?

Or in the way i am going mine, why will running these lines into the underside of the air filter solve the problem?

Thanks everybody!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Oct 20 2008, 06:10 PM) *

Why will the oil go into the catch can rather than onto my cooling tins?

Beacuse right now, those ports are open straight into your valve covers. In fact, if i were you, i'd be really concerned about debris falling into your cylinder heads and getting inbetween the valve springs or rocker arms ...
stirthepot.gif

On lower RPM, those holes suck in Air, but at higher RPMs, they will spray oil out straight from your valve assembly.

If you attach a hose to each and route them to a high mounted catch system, the oil vapors will accumulate in the catch can and drain back into the oil filler after you turn off the motor.

On a FI car, those oil vapors simply get burned by venting them into the airfilter.

Either way is better than leaving those ports open. Like i said, i'd be more concerned about "stuff" falling into the ports than a little bit of oil coming out of them.

And before you ask, no, just plugging them off is not a good idea either. They're part of the crank case ventilation system and should not be simply plugged.

shades.gif Andy
turnaround89
Thanks everybody, 2moro i will drill the other hole in the underside of the air filter and get everything straightened out, if this doesn't work, i will purchase a breather for the car on thursday = payday biggrin.gif )!!!
scottb
a look in the vendor section shows our very own chris foley making these breather systems designed specifically for the 914...

914 breather cans

i have one and am very pleased.

cheers,

scott

turnaround89
Just want to say thanks to everybody's help on my oil issue. I ran the lines to the brass fittings and vented it into the carb, works really well and no more oil on the cooling tins. Thanks again, everybody!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.