Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pktzygt
I recently bought a '74 1.8 driver and a '73 2.0 parts car (part-out to follow soon). I already pulled the good windshield from the parts car and I am in need of some experience on getting it installed. I plan on getting it installed professionally for safety reasons. I have a couple questions though.

1.Does anyone have any good or bad experience with windshield installers in New England area, specifically southern ME, eastern NH?
2.Will the installer have all the parts/gaskets required?
3.What parts/gaskets do i need to ask the installer to use?
4.Anyone have any experience with the gasket used to eliminate the silver trim? (still haven't decided)

I've been lurking the boards for a while, but now i finally have my car. I'll try to be less invisible.

Thanks,
Sean
r_towle
The stock installation is industry standard hot melted windshield goo.
All shops have that.
Make sure you have all the clips for the trim installed prior to the glass guy doing his thing.

If you go with rubber, you dont need the trim clips.

I used triumph glass, they come to your house and do it.
They have a stove in the truck the heat up the glue.

Rich
736conver
Sean,

I can hook you up with the rubber trim for the cost of shipping.
You can check out my post in the vendors section to see pictures and such.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=63344

Let me know if your interested. But dont tell anyone its free, shhhh.
pktzygt
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 20 2008, 08:11 PM) *

The stock installation is industry standard hot melted windshield goo.
All shops have that.
Make sure you have all the clips for the trim installed prior to the glass guy doing his thing.

If you go with rubber, you dont need the trim clips.

I used triumph glass, they come to your house and do it.
They have a stove in the truck the heat up the glue.

Rich

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I think i will go rubber, the car is already far enough from original that I might as well keep going in my own style.
pktzygt
QUOTE(736conver @ Oct 20 2008, 08:12 PM) *

Sean,

I can hook you up with the rubber trim for the cost of shipping.
You can check out my post in the vendors section to see pictures and such.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=63344

Let me know if your interested. But dont tell anyone its free, shhhh.

Well, thanks. How much is shipping?
PM Sent.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 20 2008, 08:08 PM) *

I recently bought a '74 1.8 driver and a '73 2.0 parts car (part-out to follow soon). I already pulled the good windshield from the parts car and I am in need of some experience on getting it installed. I plan on getting it installed professionally for safety reasons. I have a couple questions though.

1.Does anyone have any good or bad experience with windshield installers in New England area, specifically southern ME, eastern NH?
2.Will the installer have all the parts/gaskets required?
3.What parts/gaskets do i need to ask the installer to use?
4.Anyone have any experience with the gasket used to eliminate the silver trim? (still haven't decided)

I've been lurking the boards for a while, but now i finally have my car. I'll try to be less invisible.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean:

Ayer European Auto Sales and Restoration
(207) 582-3618
Brunswick Road
Gardiner, ME 04345

Upper end restoration work.

I've had them reset my windshield on both of my 914's and was very pleased.

It will set you back a few pennies over the local glass replacement shop, however you will happier with the results.

James Smith
pktzygt
[/quote]

Sean:

(207) 582-3618
Brunswick Road
Gardiner, ME 04345

It will set you back a few pennies over the local glass replacement shop, however you will happier with the results.

James Smith
[/quote]

I'll check them out. I recently found out about a porsche restoration shop right down the road in Portsmouth, NH. I was told they have a bunch of older 911's in the shop.

Thanks for the tip.
r_towle
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 21 2008, 11:23 AM) *

Sean:

(207) 582-3618
Brunswick Road
Gardiner, ME 04345

James Smith

I'll check them out. I recently found out about a porsche restoration shop right down the road in Portsmouth, NH. I was told they have a bunch of older 911's in the shop.

Thanks for the tip.

You can also check with Foreign Intrigue in Berwick ME.
Michael sold off the new parts business a few years ago, but he is still in the restoration/service business.
He also has a pretty good stash of used parts that you may want to go see.

Mike Girshman
207-698-1000

Rich
Jasfsmith

You can also check with Foreign Intrigue in Berwick ME.
Michael sold off the new parts business a few years ago, but he is still in the restoration/service business.
He also has a pretty good stash of used parts that you may want to go see.

Mike Girshman
207-698-1000

Rich

With the sale of the new parts business, went the Foreign Intrigue name. New name is Autosport Northeast. Same number. Michael has a wealth of Porsche experience and enough used parts for 914's (and all the other models) to fill the ol' chicken coop/barn wall to wall, floor to ceiling on two floors. It's amazing the stash of parts that he has.
pktzygt
[/quote]

With the sale of the new parts business, went the Foreign Intrigue name. New name is Autosport Northeast. Same number. Michael has a wealth of Porsche experience and enough used parts for 914's (and all the other models) to fill the ol' chicken coop/barn wall to wall, floor to ceiling on two floors. It's amazing the stash of parts that he has.
[/quote]

Thats not far away at all, I'll get down there eventually. I better pull the useable stuff off the the parts car before i go buying other parts. I also don't want to overstay my welcome in the free storage unit the parts car is in right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.