Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to install passenger side mirror?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1975 chassis and one of the things I'm adding is a passenger side mirror. I found a 914 OEM mirror and I know there is a " fitting/plate " in the door from the factory for the mirror. I have the interior panel off and I can feel the plate but I don't see how to drill the holes to match the plate? I have read past posts on tapping a punch from the inside to dimple the skin of the door as a guide but I don't see any way to get a hammer and punch in there? Help!!!
type47
use a small punch and carefully punch thru the nut on the inside of the door a "reverse dimple" to see where on the outside door surface where you should drill a hole for the mirror screws.
southernmost914
I drilled pilot holes from the inside out with a Dremel tool. Then drilled the holes with a bit bigger than the threads on the plate from the outside.

Steve
STL914
I actually used an ice pick and with its long blade, worked out quite well. A few taps of the hammer and I had the necessary dimples and drilled out the holes from the outside.
pktzygt
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 20 2008, 09:19 PM) *

I drilled pilot holes from the inside out with a Dremel tool. Then drilled the holes with a bit bigger than the threads on the plate from the outside.

Steve

There's an idea! I guess i know my small project for the week.
sww914
I use an automatic center punch, you don't need to swing a hammer that way. If you drill holes in metal you'll be happy you have an automatic punch after you buy it anyway. They're also most excellent for breaking tempered glass if you ever want to do that.smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.