Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinished Fuchs Myself
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
I got a set of 7 & 8s the other day that had a gold finish. That finish wasn't going to work for me. Since I'm outa work, I can't afford a pro to do them and since I have time on my hands, I gave it a shot. They could be better and now that I've done one set, another set would be easier.

T.C.

Pre-finish (the 7's, which I sold)

Click to view attachment

RSR DIY finish (8's)

Click to view attachment

I also screw'd around with a set of Cookie Cutters

Click to view attachment
Gary
Nice - what a difference. You do good work!
number6
Looks awesome, TC! How did you get the matte finish? Painted??

-duc
URY914
How are the shocks?
pete-stevers
the Q is ...how did you do it??
736conver
I created the same look with a set of 6's.

Not sure what you did but I used glass beads and bead blasted the rims to get the RSR look. I got think I got that info from the bird board.
sixnotfour
Waiting to read how TC did his ?
I did mine watching womens olympics volley ball.
carr914
Hi Folks, I got all my info off a Pelican thread in the 911BBS section. The thread is called " Economy RSR Fuchs Finish ???"

You can go there, but I will give a Readers Digest Version

Needs;

Sandpaper - Very Fine grit

Lacquer Thinner or Minerral Spirits

Electrical Tape

Painters Tape

Self Etching Primer

Rustolium Satin Black #7777

Rustolium Matte Nickel #7277

First step; use sandpaper to slightly rough up the surface. A lot of people think that you have to remove the anodizing. However it was qouted in the above "Pelican thread" by the leading Professional Fuchs Refinisher that the factory painted over the anodizing. If it's good enough for the factory, it's good enough for my DIY

Second Step; Wipe the surface with the LT or MS to remove sanded finish, dirt etc.

Third Step; I wanted the outer lip to be shiny, so I did not sand it and taped over it

Fourth Step; Some people pre-heat the wheel in an oven @ 200 degrees. I just put the wheels out on the driveway in the Florida Sun (they were Hot when I picked them up. Hit it with self etching primer the entire surface of the wheel. The directions on the can of primer said you could immediately shoot your 1st coat. I put the wheels back in the Sun for 15 minutes, then hit the wheels with 1st coat of #7777 Satin Black. An hour later I hit with a second coat of #7777

Fifth Step; Wait 12 to 24 hours for that to cure.

Sixth Step; The most tedious - taping. The electrical tape is used for around the paddles and the circumference of the wheel where it will be Black vs Frosted. The electrical is able to "bend" vs the Painters Masking Tape. Next use the Painters tape to tape off any part of the wheel you don't want frosted.

Seventh Step; Hit the paddles & rim with a light coat of self-etching primer. 15 minutes later hit with the #7277 Matte Nickel (this color is an exact match for the RSR Frosted) Let sit in Sun for 1 hour, then 2nd coat of #7277. Set in Sun

Eighth Step. Let cure & carefully remove the tape.

It was suggested on Pelican not to clear the wheels as that would make the Matte Nickel (Silver) darker

That's it. For those that don't know me well, I don't have an ounce of patience in my body, so I rushed a couple steps and had to touch up a couple of areas. If I had any patience the job would be even better. All in all I like them and after doing this set, I know I could do a better job on the next.

Anybody can do it. rolleyes.gif Cost = $8

T.C.
carr914
And Paul, the Shocks are good. About the same ride quality as the shitty KYB's and bigger springs. ( I now have Koni Orange with 140# springs)

T.C.
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2008, 08:47 PM) *

And the Paul, the Shocks are good. About the same ride quality as the shitty KYB's and bigger springs. ( I now have Koni Orange with 140# springs)

T.C.

Brian Cheney can give you a second opinion. He came over Sunday afternoon and we took a ride. I noticed today that the Sheriff's Dept had a Speed-Trap set up on North Blvd where Brian & I were doing 90 in a 35MPH Zone. shades.gif . Damn Mega-Phones are giving everyone a Heads-Up happy11.gif .

T.C.
scotty b
Those rims weren't just " gold " they were from a Weissach 911 dry.gif If'n you aren't familiar, it's the 911 version of a 914 LE. Special paint, interior, wheel color. Came in 2 different versions.
carr914
Scotty I know they came from a Weissach, but they were in bad condition and they were FREE, excuse I made $ as I sold the 7's

T.C.
Eric_Shea
Still at the same address right? I'll send my 6Jx15 for my collapsable spare! biggrin.gif
SGB
They came out mighty nice. smile.gif

You're right, the key to paint work is genuinely gruesome patience,
Eric_Shea
I was reading through the process. Sounds quite solid.

Here's what I used in place of the electrical tape. I have to admit, the tape I got had the same consistence as the electrical tape but it is available through auto refinishing supply stores for that purpose (curves etc.). Blue 3M stuff but more flexible like the electrical tape.

Here's a shot of the tape:
Click to view attachment

Then I finished off with regular masking tape:
Click to view attachment

These are the painted centers I did for my 911:
Click to view attachment

Looks great TC smilie_pokal.gif
BMXerror
Haha.... At a glance I thought your thread said, "Just finished fuching myself..." av-943.gif Don't mind me... Carry on.
Mark D.
P.S. How ya been TC?
scotty b
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2008, 06:16 PM) *

Scotty I know they came from a Weissach, but they were in bad condition and they were FREE, excuse I made $ as I sold the 7's

T.C.

Nothing against you T.C. smile.gif I'd just like to know what happened to the 911 they are supposed to be on sad.gif I've got a guy that's been buggin me for 2 years now to paint his Weissach, but he won't come up with a deposit....typical headbang.gif
carr914
Scotty, I know the guy I got them from had them on a 944 and didn't know what he had. I traded them away and just got them back.

Weissach's came in Platinum & Black. There were also a few in a Blood/Burgundy, but they may have been Special ordered by a Particular Dealer. The Burgundy's were exactly alike in the interior and all Weissach's had the Gold/Platinum wheels.

The issue was alot of people moved up to 16" wheels. Just Like the Diamond Jubilee CE edition of 1988 and the Anniversary edition of 89. I have a set of CE Wheels that will go on 1 of my Six's

T.C.
carr914
I finally got my 9"s done and put the wheels on the car. I like em, What do you guys think?

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BKLA
very nice!
smile.gif
Root_Werks
Yeah baby! smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif
carr914
Doing another wheel and I figured I'd give you the play by play

1st: Received ugliest 15x8 Fuchs in existence (price was right, thanks Kev)
and sanded the nicks & paint runs out

Click to view attachment

2nd: Taped outer edge and hit it with self-etching primer

Click to view attachment

3rd: Taped off the outer rims and painted with the black

Click to view attachment

4th: to be continued as it is turning Cold & raining and I don't paint in un-ideal conditions

T.C.
biosurfer1
T.C.

what do you use to paint? rattle can? air gun? something else?
FourBlades

Dang, dude, you find more good parts than anyone...

If you happen upon a running, twin plug 2.7+ for the IMSA car let me know.

Or maybe some 908 brake calipers, that would be nice too. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I was bummed almendinger did not win the 500. I'd like to turn his old wing
and wheel into some 914 parts.

John
Scott S
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2008, 05:44 PM) *

Hi Folks, I got all my info off a Pelican thread in the 911BBS section. The thread is called " Economy RSR Fuchs Finish ???"

You can go there, but I will give a Readers Digest Version

Needs;

Sandpaper - Very Fine grit

Lacquer Thinner or Minerral Spirits

Electrical Tape

Painters Tape

Self Etching Primer

Rustolium Satin Black #7777

Rustolium Matte Nickel #7277

First step; use sandpaper to slightly rough up the surface. A lot of people think that you have to remove the anodizing. However it was qouted in the above "Pelican thread" by the leading Professional Fuchs Refinisher that the factory painted over the anodizing. If it's good enough for the factory, it's good enough for my DIY

Second Step; Wipe the surface with the LT or MS to remove sanded finish, dirt etc.

Third Step; I wanted the outer lip to be shiny, so I did not sand it and taped over it

Fourth Step; Some people pre-heat the wheel in an oven @ 200 degrees. I just put the wheels out on the driveway in the Florida Sun (they were Hot when I picked them up. Hit it with self etching primer the entire surface of the wheel. The directions on the can of primer said you could immediately shoot your 1st coat. I put the wheels back in the Sun for 15 minutes, then hit the wheels with 1st coat of #7777 Satin Black. An hour later I hit with a second coat of #7777

Fifth Step; Wait 12 to 24 hours for that to cure.

Sixth Step; The most tedious - taping. The electrical tape is used for around the paddles and the circumference of the wheel where it will be Black vs Frosted. The electrical is able to "bend" vs the Painters Masking Tape. Next use the Painters tape to tape off any part of the wheel you don't want frosted.

Seventh Step; Hit the paddles & rim with a light coat of self-etching primer. 15 minutes later hit with the #7277 Matte Nickel (this color is an exact match for the RSR Frosted) Let sit in Sun for 1 hour, then 2nd coat of #7277. Set in Sun

Eighth Step. Let cure & carefully remove he tape.

It was suggested on Pelican not to clear the wheels as that would make the Matte Nickel (Silver) darker

That's it. For those that don't know me well, I don't have an ounce of patience in my body, so I rushed a couple steps and had to touch up a couple of areas. If I had any patience the job would be even better. All in all I like them and after doing this set, I know I could do a better job on the next.

T.C.

"fuching" awsome. I dont see the step where you painted the black section - was it before or after you did the silver?
Great job!!!
PanelBilly
So what is bad weather for painting down there? If it hits 55 degrees up here in Seattle, we get out sun screen out!
carr914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 19 2009, 06:21 PM) *

T.C.

what do you use to paint? rattle can? air gun? something else?

Rattle Can

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 19 2009, 06:58 PM) *

So what is bad weather for painting down there? If it hits 55 degrees up here in Seattle, we get out sun screen out!

It's going into the low 40s tonight & 30s tomorrow night. I don't trust any paint below 65 degrees, so I won't get back to this til Saturday or Sunday

T.C.
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Feb 19 2009, 06:46 PM) *

Dang, dude, you find more good parts than anyone...

If you happen upon a running, twin plug 2.7+ for the IMSA car let me know.

Or maybe some 908 brake calipers, that would be nice too. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I was bummed almendinger did not win the 500. I'd like to turn his old wing
and wheel into some 914 parts.

John

If this economy doesn't get better soon, so I can get a job, my 2.8 Twin Plug Monster Motor might be headed your way.

T.C.
carr914
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 19 2009, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2008, 05:44 PM) *

T.C.

"fuching" awsome. I dont see the step where you painted the black section - was it before or after you did the silver?
Great job!!!

Have'nt done the silver yet. May get warm enough today to do it

T.C.
jasons
Is there something wrong with me? I like the look of the gray primered wheel.
PeeGreen 914
So why do you tape the edge? What do you do to get it to look uniform with the rest of the job? confused24.gif
carr914
The IROC RSR finish had a shiny edge. It gives it kinda a cool look

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmill
If you painted the edge you'd tear it up when you mounted the tire.
carr914
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 20 2009, 01:26 PM) *

If you painted the edge you'd tear it up when you mounted the tire.

That too

T.C.
carr914
I found that the thinner 3M body shop tape was much easier to work with than regular electrical tape.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
carr914
The temperature is good - about 70 degrees (sorry for all you Northerners)

All Taped up and ready for the Matte Nickel paint

Click to view attachment
carr914
Painted and sitting in the Sun to bake

Click to view attachment
carr914
From This

Click to view attachment

to This for just a couple of Bucks.

Click to view attachment

And I could have done it one day if the weather hadn't turned on me.

T.C.
ConeDodger
I'm gonna revive this old thread for Jim and his tiny wheel project. FYI, for anyone looking for that 3M tape online it's brand name is Fine Line.
Drums66
...very nice looking rides here first.gif
incredible!! bye1.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 21 2010, 11:10 AM) *

I'm gonna revive this old thread for Jim and his tiny wheel project. FYI, for anyone looking for that 3M tape online it's brand name is Fine Line.

Thank you, Rob! I've got it bookmarked for future reference now as well. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
This is the plan for my wheels as well.
nsr-jamie
Cool thread, thats kind of like what I want to do but never had the courage until now, you make it look so easy. Thanks!!
carr914
It is easy, just takes a little patience, which I have little of. blink.gif
MDG
I went the old school way . . . . had Harvey do mine

Click to view attachment

But T.C., I gotta tell you - this looks amazing! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
ONTHEGRIND
What size tire and rim were on The blue car?
carr914
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Jan 18 2011, 03:11 AM) *

What size tire and rim were on The blue car?

15x8 - 225/50/15
15x9 - 245/50/15
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 21 2009, 04:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Couple of questions.
I have black wheels, stock SC/Carerra wheels.
Paint is all in good shape.

What do you think about just clean, mask and paint with silver?

Also,
On the outer lip, it apears in the second set you did...you did not paint right up to the transition of the surface....but you hung dow a bit? Any reason for that? is that the correct way of doing it etc?

What silver paint did you use?

Rich
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2011, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 21 2009, 04:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Couple of questions.
I have black wheels, stock SC/Carerra wheels.
Paint is all in good shape.

What do you think about just clean, mask and paint with silver?

Also,
On the outer lip, it apears in the second set you did...you did not paint right up to the transition of the surface....but you hung dow a bit? Any reason for that? is that the correct way of doing it etc?

What silver paint did you use?

Rich

Rich, you would need to make sure that they are super clean - I would at least wipe them with Mineral Spirits, then hit it with a Super Fine Sand Paper. The Paint needs super thing to grip to.

I did not do the Outer Lip because a Tire Machine would tear up the Paint

The Silver Paint is Rustoliem Matte Nickel
r_towle
I know you did not paint the outer lip.
It seems the transition from paint to non paint in that area was different and lower on the second set of wheels.
Is there a specific line you followed?

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.