Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA EP, FP or SPO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
Some people here know last fall I bought an older FP car with a dead motor. My plan was to drop a /6 in it and run DE/AX events with it. This past weekend I was up at BlackHawk farms crewing for my friend running a HP MG midget. There were two 914's there also, one running EP the other FP. While talking with both drivers about their cars and then about mine I really get the feeling deep down that I should maybe remove the /6 mount and just build a good FP engine. I already have a 3.0L six engine waiting to go in, just need to get a flywheel for it. I really have the itch to get my SCCA novice license next spring and drive in some races with my buddy(s). My concern is with the 3.0 from everything I read I would run SPO with the big V8 guys, which maybe I guess kind of has me a little worried that I am not ready for that level of racing confused24.gif

I guess my other thought is it would be fun to run with my HP buddies also. So......
any thoughts?

I know quit being a wimp cheer.gif
URY914
Running is easy. Winning is the hard part.

Put in whatever you have and run it to learn.
ChrisFoley
I say FP. We need more 914s. You can have a lot of fun running regionals on a limited budget with a mild 1.8L motor, and you can learn all the ins and outs of dry sumping without blowing up a $20K engine right away.
... or, when they killed GP did they fit the Limited Prep GP 914 into HP?
bam914
They did move the GP 914 to HP. It has to weigh a S%^& load, like 2200#. If it weight about 1900# it would be an ok car. Remember it has to have stock pick up points and stock 4 cylinder brakes.
Brett W
IOT/ITU/ITE. Then you can beat up on the Mustangs and Vipers. I would drop the six in there and skip the hand grenade of a four cylinder. You already have a the 3.0 go with it. You could even run a 66mm crank and destroke the motor to run in GT2. That would be lots of fun. But you may have some stiff competition.
dinomium
I dunno about production class racing with a 914. The rules are just not in the car's favor. Seems to me that your 25k (total) to be competive only to be bonked by some goof in a Miata might be better spent elsewhere. Unless you are ok with being a backmarker, I don't know if you can do it with a 4. A 2 liter six might be a little less expensive (that a Raby race motor) at first,but it is still some tall green.

At least that is what my wife tells me every time I say I want to scrap the Ricex7 and convert Ugmo into a FP car for ICSCC racing.
Keep us posted...
GaroldShaffer
For now I am just going to put the /6 in and run SPO. All I really want at this time is to get track time and my license. From there I will see where it leads me. Been looking at vintage or maybe doing HPDE with it.

To be honest, now don't hate me, but if I was really going to serious about racing it would be in a Spec Miata. I know, I know, spec wreckers, but hear me out. I like the fact that they are "spec" and for the most part all the same. It requires driver skill and suspension setup more than just HP to be a front runner. Another is you could change tires and run ITA also in regional races. So you could actually have two races in one race weeknd for your money. I know a few SM guys that do that. Not all SM guys are nuts, I have seen my share of SM races and to be honest there hasn't been anymore bumping going on that in in other class.

Right now I just need to get the engine in the car and get seat time.
dinomium
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 31 2008, 08:33 AM) *

For now I am just going to put the /6 in and run SPO. All I really want at this time is to get track time and my license. From there I will see where it leads me. Been looking at vintage or maybe doing HPDE with it.

To be honest, now don't hate me, but if I was really going to serious about racing it would be in a Spec Miata. I know, I know, spec wreckers, but hear me out. I like the fact that they are "spec" and for the most part all the same. It requires driver skill and suspension setup more than just HP to be a front runner. Another is you could change tires and run ITA also in regional races. So you could actually have two races in one race weeknd for your money. I know a few SM guys that do that. Not all SM guys are nuts, I have seen my share of SM races and to be honest there hasn't been anymore bumping going on that in in other class.

Right now I just need to get the engine in the car and get seat time.

That is all true, but there are JUST SO MANY of em! LOL
You might want to rent a Miata for a race weekend to be sure it is you cup o joe. If I had not been handed an rx7, I would have been temped by a MX5 or Pro3 BMW. The guys in both classes love it.
Now if BOTH of them would stop diving to the inside on the exit of 3b and making me go around on the scary side, I would say thank you.
happy11.gif
I am so slow...
gregrobbins
I like open wheel and now that SCCA recognized Formula First as a Regional class, it is a cheap way to race. Basically a modernized Formula Vee with a nearly stock 1600cc dual port motor. I figure my costs to run a full year are in the 5K range if I don't hurt parts. Tires last half a season, fuel consumption is only 10 gallons a weekend, oil, and fees.

My 914 will be reserved to autocross and vintage racing in the Porsche 2.0L Challange with HSR-West.
d914
Just my thought, but SPO around here has some VERY fast cars in it..Not alot on the track at one time but very fast!!!
dinomium
in ICSCC, SPO SPM GT classes and GTU all run in the same race group... Vipers, Corvettes, M3s, 911s and ASA cars are all on track at the same time! Makes for some pretty fun viewing...
jhadler
Weighing in late on this, but it's still the off season right???

It really depends on what you -want- to do. Do you just want to go W2W, and have fun on the track regardless of finishing position? Are you aiming for a regional podium spot or two? How about a regional championship?? Or do you want to compete on the National level?

All of these are gonna result in different answers.

ITO/ITE/ITU are great catch-all IT classes, and for just having some fun W2W, is probably your best best. In some regions, you might be only one of two cars in your class, in others, you could be in a field of ground pounding scary cars. Great regional class, no runoffs though.

SP is freakishly fast and expensive unless you're the only one out there. Think built small block chebby in a 914 (one of our locals) or a ChampCar powered Fiero. yeah... And again, it's a regional only class. Even if you're in a class of one, you will generally be grouped with the very fastest of the door slammers. Check yer mirrors!!

FP/EP is a great class, with incredible depth of comeptition. But building ANYTHING for production is a recipe for poverty. It's quite an expensive proposition to build a competitive production car.

I say, have fun in an IT class regionally for a while. And then decide what and where you want to go...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.