Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That Old German car smell.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
southernmost914
After repaint and all the repairs I have lost that Old VW/Porsche interior smell. I miss it and want it back. Special glue and hemp mixture? I need a supplier. smoke.gif

Steve
justdrive914
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 05:45 AM) *

After repaint and all the repairs I have lost that Old VW/Porsche interior smell. I miss it and want it back. Special glue and hemp mixture? I need a supplier. smoke.gif

Steve

I want to know to Steve, I love that smell, My 914 still has it but my old one had it more, I had OE interior still, I putting it in my 924s and my other cars if its in a can!
Andrew
southernmost914
It must be the glue in the composit back pad frame and door panels. I have encapsuled mine in fiberglass and the smell is trapped inside. There is no junkyard within 130 miles. If there was I would rip some of the fiber stuff out of a old Bug seat, sow it up in a pillow case and put behind the passengers seat. The window doesn't leak any more. Maybe some one could send me a pound or so.

Steve
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 10:09 AM) *

It must be the glue in the composit back pad frame and door panels.

Mostly 'old German car smell' is hot oil sucked in via the heat exchangers. Drive your car a while - it'll come back. 356's had horsehair in the upholstery but 914's just have cloth, vinyl, and foam rubber.
VaccaRabite
I always thought that smell was burned oil and gas rotting in the carb bowls.

More of an old car garage smell then a old Porsche smell, I guess.

When I got mine, the interior set off my allregies something fierce. 30 years of dust and dirt, I guess.

Zach
FourBlades

The smell is from old weiner schnitzel crumbs and weiss beer stains. biggrin.gif

German factory workers are allowed to have two beers every day at lunch.

My wife is German and she hates the smell from childhood associations.

I love it though for the same reason.

She is going to Germany in a week or so, I'll try to get her to bring back some
old German car carpet and upholstrey pieces...

John

dw914er
drive the teener, it should come back.

i love that smell smile.gif
jc914
you guys are funny beerchug.gif boldblue.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif I always thought it was the smell of a special mildew that only grow on 914'a
southernmost914
I don't have any heater control valve or hoses. Just don't need them. So let me get this straight. I need to put in a can some burnt oil, Weiss beer, rotten gas, some old weiner schnitzel and set it on some old German carpet in the car for a few days? Sound right? confused24.gif

Steve
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 04:29 PM) *

I don't have any heater control valve or hoses. Just don't need them....confused24.gif

You took away the exhaust-powered heater and now you're complaining that it doesn't smell like exhaust-powered heat. It's my turn to be confused24.gif

Maybe you really wanted a Boxster all along... poke.gif
r_towle
Its a mixture of horse hair and vinyl.
Get a new interior..close all the windows and leave it in the sunshine...that should outgas enough to treat the interior with the smell.
Rich
dw914er
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 01:29 PM) *

I don't have any heater control valve or hoses. Just don't need them. So let me get this straight. I need to put in a can some burnt oil, Weiss beer, rotten gas, some old weiner schnitzel and set it on some old German carpet in the car for a few days? Sound right? confused24.gif

Steve

dont forget some rat droppings and urine. If the car has ever sat around, it will have a slight hint of it.
southernmost914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 22 2008, 05:20 PM) *

Its a mixture of horse hair and vinyl.
Rich

I don't know where I'm going to find some horse hair around here. How about human hair? The girl that cuts my hair drives a Boxster. I'm sure she would be willing to help.

Steve
orange914
QUOTE(dw914er @ Oct 22 2008, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 01:29 PM) *

Steve

dont forget some rat droppings and urine. If the car has ever sat around, it will have a slight hint of it.

also don't forget the pungent aroma that whooshes out of the seat pad when you jump in...
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 05:45 AM) *

that Old VW/Porsche interior smell. I miss it and want it back. Special glue and hemp mixture? I need a supplier. smoke.gif

Steve

It's a careful formulation of both hot and old, latent engine oil, ancient, leaked gasoline residue, mouldy, damp carpet and upholstery, and corroding ferrous material, with just a hint of ozone from marginalized wiring and a trace of a previous winsome girlfriends' 'eau de copulate' that creates that memorable scent that we find so intoxicating.

Paul
Tom
I always thought it had something to do with the tar. I don't think the 914 experience would be complete without that smell.
Tom
southernmost914
" a trace of a previous winsome girlfriends' 'eau de copulate' "

Paul,
pray.gif Thats it! The missing ingredient. It 's Fantiasy Fest in KW this weekend and I think I can come up with everything I need and a little more. : cheer.gif drunk.gif grouphug.gif happy11.gif

Thanks,
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.