Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third Brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tom9146
I have been looking for a better way to do a third brake light and finally found a 24 element LED I installed it this past week and have attached the pics works great , the only downside is having to modify the rear edge behind the light about 1/4 inch,
and drilling the holes . I am not a master fabricator but i think this turned out ok .
the LED's draw only a small amount of current so no problems with fuses . idea.gif
southernmost914
I like. Looks good but I could never bring myself to cut a $150.00 piece of trim. Were did you run the wires?

Steve
tom9146
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 12:38 PM) *

I like. Looks good but I could never bring myself to cut a $150.00 piece of trim. Were did you run the wires?

Steve

The wires were run under the Drivers side trim and then under the grill trim and
to the harness on left side of trunk . the wire that comes attached to the LED group
is about 3 feet long . It is not visible unless you know where to look for it .the brake
wire is black/yellow . Cost was under $50.
Joe Owensby
Looks good to me. Where did you get the light? Did you just cut an opening in the chrome trim?

thanks, JoeO
zambezi
If you can please show a side view of the light mounting. I am curious how flush it looks and does it blend in or stick out. I definitely want to do a 3rd brake light also as the cars sit too low for soccer moms in their Escalades.
JIM
tom9146
I had to drill 24 individual holes in the trim the led's are in a strip together .My layout and drilling could have been better . I'll try to get better pics and side view tomorrow I have attached what it looks like with brakes off. The lights stick out about 1/8 of an inch and are flexible clear moulded plastic of some kind
wobbletop
Hello fellow Canadian!

More pics and closeups please. And places to buy parts from.

Thanks!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Oct 22 2008, 11:58 PM) *

Hello fellow Canadian!

More pics and closeups please. And places to buy parts from.

Thanks!

There's a few canucks here on the 914world
tom9146
Finally got some close ups .I got the light strip at local parts and tool supplier .
www.princessauotoparts.ca part # 8059495, on sale at the time was 9.95 plus tax
tom9146
QUOTE(tom9146 @ Oct 23 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Finally got some close ups .I got the light strip at local parts and tool supplier .
www.princessauotoparts.ca part # 8059495, on sale at the time was 9.95 plus tax

sorry that's www.princessauto.com , they have a website and will ship good luck guys ! I hope you can drill those holes straighter and better than I can . Next time I'll
take more time with layout and make a template . confused24.gif
Mark Henry
Princessauto is Canada's Harbor Freight. Most of the same products.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.