Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What can I safely cut out of my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
PeeGreen 914
So I have decided that next year I am going to run MU... which is anything under 2.5l with any mods I want.... So the question begs to be asked.... What can I remove without needing to alter the car?

Please do tell and pics are appriciated:D

I guess I should add that I have done the Engman inner kit but that is all. Someday it will get a cage but not for a few years.
J P Stein
Ah, the slippery slope.
Basically, anything that doesn't compromise chassis strength can go.
The biggest weight loss is in the doors. My 74 stockers weight in at 64lbs ea.
Their gutted early replacements are at 20 lbs ea.....kinda street legal, but drafty.

A trailer & tow rig puts grease on the slope.
URY914
Someone throw Jon a rope, he's slipping.....
PeeGreen 914
biggrin.gif Yes I am....

Okay JP, I understand the doors are very heavy but I need the windows as I will be driving my car to the events for another year or so. Can I still cut the beam and not lose the window mounts? I'll have to look into this. I may get some glass lids put until I do I may just take my time cutting holes in the lids I have aktion035.gif

Pictures and advice piratenanner.gif
J P Stein
Need?
I came to this fork in the road a few years back & not sure I made the right decision.

You don't need to run MU and if you go anywhere other than PNWR you'll not find that class. If you're not willing to jump in with both feet (get under 1800 lbs), stick to GTO...(you've got the MU guys pretty well covered anyhow, right?)...then you can get killed in SM2 at SCCA rather than FP. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
I have been told that because I have an engine that never came in a 914 I am already FP. Is this wrong?

What lightening can I do and be in SM2?

Oh, and I'm only in GTU since I only have a 2.4l

Looking to give you a run for your money with it though when I can come down to your playground next year biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 23 2008, 10:05 AM) *

I have been told that because I have an engine that never came in a 914 I am already FP. Is this wrong?

What lightening can I do and be in SM2?

Oh, and I'm only in GTU since I only have a 2.4l

Looking to give you a run for your money with it though when I can come down to your playground next year biggrin.gif

SM2 allows motor swaps. Other than that you'd have to read the rule book.
Gary runs his 3.2L in SM2. The 2.4 is your problem.

Sure, comon down. You *might* be able to run with this old man .......but the kid will kick your ass. biggrin.gif

I can't seem to find the time to run up at Bremerton. An effort is being made to get a 2 day PCA regional event going at Packwood this next season. The Nor Cal 914 boys have expressed an interest in coming up for "something" and this would fit the bill nicely.....so, bring a knife, bring a gun, if it goes we'll be there.
J P Stein
I could build a nationally competitive SM2 914.....for around $40K.....+/- 10K. biggrin.gif
It's another of the few classes that a 914 can do well in on a national level.

Anyone interested should start by sending me a large check.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 23 2008, 05:40 PM) *

I could build a nationally competitive SM2 914.....for around $40K.....+/- 10K. biggrin.gif
It's another of the few classes that a 914 can do well in on a national level.

Anyone interested should start by sending me a large check.

Well, I have been doing it all relatively by myself and into my car a little over $30k. So I guess that would make sense.

I'll read the rules and see what I need to do. I can really do anything and be fine in the MU rule for PCA. I'm just not going to run in GTU anymore because some people are feeling my car is unfair.

I am more about the competition and the GTU class isn't really competitive without real GTU cars at the PCA events.

Matt, the guy with the RS America may codrive with me next year in PCA and I'll drive his car in SCCA. That is great competition as he is a very good driver. aktion035.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 23 2008, 06:39 PM) *

I'm just not going to run in GTU anymore because some people are feeling my car is unfair.

Lemme guess, T-4 guys? biggrin.gif
So, just leave it alone & enter in MU.....throw on them slicks iff'n it makes you feel better.
If you want competition you sometimes have to step out of your pond. We find lots outside of ours......maybe using a different mindset.
PeeGreen 914
Well, not really the T-4 guys. There are a few guys that should be running in the P group but they don't want to run against Jodi Fordahl.... So they get me biggrin.gif

Yeah, I have done more SCCA events and am trying to drive against better drivers so I can have that push. My goal is to be an instructor by the end of next year. I have been working on that hard but also taking as much instruction as I can.

We'll see what becomes of my car in the next few years. I don't think I'm going to you design but I may end up with a sheridan or something wild like that. Who knows.

For now I just need to see the rules and find out what I can cut.
J P Stein
Good luck.
You have to jump back & forth within the book. I'd recommend a paper copy. Note the page count ........

http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%20Rules...olo_Rules_2.pdf
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 24 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Good luck.
You have to jump back & forth within the book. I'd recommend a paper copy. Note the page count ........

Because my flares are fiberglass I am out of SM2. However, because of the displacement of my engine I may be in D prepaired. So I am going to look into this. Otherwise it looks like I am in E with you sad.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 24 2008, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 24 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Good luck.

Because my flares are fiberglass I am out of SM2. However, because of the displacement of my engine I may be in D prepaired. So I am going to look into this. Otherwise it looks like I am in E with you sad.gif

You can flare fenders in SP & SM. You just can't replace the entire rear fenders in SM....but you can up front. How you flare the rears is up to you...as I read it.
These rules are pretty convoluted. This particular mess is due to the folks writing them having a vested interest in their front engined SM cars.

Building a car is not rocket science......reading SCCA rules is.

You can't do DP.
r_towle
Door beams dont affect window track hardware...cut them out.
You can take out the glass and replace it with lexan...that wieghs alot less.
Look at some of the other door setups..
Drill the outer edges of the doors
Loose the window crank hardware all together. Go with the RS type strap.
This strap is attached to the bottom of the lexan window and runs up inside the door then comes out towards the driver at the top of the door.
Pull down on the strap, window goes up.
A single snap at the bottom of the door holds the strap/window in place.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.