Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vented rotors for rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
I would like to run vented rotors in the rear for my '70 DE/track car. The fronts are 3.5" SC brakes. What calipers/rotor combination could I run in the rear using the stock trailing arm setup?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Oct 23 2008, 05:32 AM) *

I would like to run vented rotors in the rear for my '70 DE/track car. The fronts are 3.5" SC brakes. What calipers/rotor combination could I run in the rear using the stock trailing arm setup?

A spacer can be inserted into the original caliper to widen it for this purpose. You may need to run a thin spacer between the hub and the rear wheel, so be aware of lug thread engagement issues. The usual brake-upgrade suppliers are typically set ip for this. I'd probably start with Eric at PMB or JerryDave Pateman...

{edit - Sorry Dave!}
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 23 2008, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Oct 23 2008, 05:32 AM) *

A spacer can be inserted into the original caliper to widen it for this purpose. You may need to run a thin spacer between the hub and the rear wheel, so be aware of lug thread engagement issues. The usual brake-upgrade suppliers are typically set ip for this. I'd probably start with Eric at PMB or Jerry Pateman...

Maybe I should mention that the car has a five bolt conversion. The rear hubs are five bolt, not an adapter. So I'm looking for five-bolt rotors as well. Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Oct 23 2008, 09:08 AM) *

I'm looking for five-bolt rotors as well.

Standard early-911 vented rotor should work OKfine. Anything not described as "Carrera.'

901.352.041.14 for instance

On my car a 3mm (1/8") aluminum spacer between the hub and the disk was perfect.
Krieger
If you can do without an e brake early 911 front vented calipers work well- 3" spacing
davep
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 23 2008, 04:54 AM) *

A spacer can be inserted into the original caliper to widen it for this purpose. You may need to run a thin spacer between the hub and the rear wheel, so be aware of lug thread engagement issues. The usual brake-upgrade suppliers are typically set ip for this. I'd probably start with Eric at PMB or Jerry Pateman...

That would be Eric or myself. The stock 914/ 4 can be widened for this purpose, or the 914/6 can also be widened. Both keep the stock emergency brake. Or you can use a 911 rear caliper (same as 914/6 pads & pistons) and fab up your own emergency brake. Use the typical 911 rear rotor (20mm version 69 to 84).
Eric_Shea
Track Car?

Here's your options for a 20mm vented rotor (the standard one that Rich is talking about and frankly... the only one you really need):

911 Rear M-Caliper - Pros = Bolts right on. Matches your SC fronts. Extremely affordable! Cons = No handbrake (who cares, it's a track car)
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/4782717.htm

914-6/GT Caliper - Pros = Bolts right on. Utilizes the stock 914 cable set up. Perfect match for this situation. 38mm piston just like the 911 caliper. Matches your SC fronts. Cons = Can be costly. Last set I sold went for $1,500.00 I've seen them got for $1,800.00
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/4786404.htm

914 V-Caliper - Pros = Bolts right on. Utilizes the stock 914 cable set up. Cons = 33mm piston (because it's a 914 caliper). You'll need to adjust your proportioning valve for cutout when using with your 48mm SC fronts. You'll have to machine 4mm off the standard 911 rotor.
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...552/4782948.htm
MikeSpraggi
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with the 911 M rear caliper setup. I don't need a hand brake ... an anyways I carry a wheel stop in in the trunk biggrin.gif . Mike.
smdubovsky
Mike, I took a set of 83 SC rears off my 911 this week. Have the calipers (M) AND rotors avail. Drop me a line. Cliff from dorki got the fronts a month or so ago. You won't find any closer smile.gif
Eric_Shea
dems are the ones you need.
Eric_Shea
If you can do without an e brake early 911 front vented calipers work well- 3" spacing

Utt-Uuu. Fronts rub the hat on the rear, have huge 48mm pistons and need to be ground down to fit.
Kargeek
Here's my set up- six calipers with mounting spacers and early front 911 M caliper spacers, 911 vented rotors...

I kept the dust covers by using a spacer on its mounting bracket.

DH
Eric_Shea
Here's my set up- six calipers with mounting spacers and early front 911 M caliper spacers, 911 vented rotors...

911 "Rear" M-Caliper spacers. Fronts are the wrong size and shape.
Kargeek
[911 "Rear" M-Caliper spacers. Fronts are the wrong size and shape.]

You're correct - my build was 20 years ago and I've lost my perspective!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.