Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took the 914 out for a mid winter drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
ohmy.gif
Curvie Roadlover
not really wink.gif
Chris H.
You scared me for a second! That would be murderous!
rick 918-S
laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif w00t.gif idea.gif ohmy.gif lol2.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Here's a bit of false advertising. Rest assurred the car in this photo has not survived sawzall-smiley.gif
seanery
It's not the snow that kills em its the salt!
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 9 2004, 08:32 AM)

actually, the water from melted snow has a lower "surface tension" than regular water which makes it easier for it to get into small cracks and such ...

Andy
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2004, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 9 2004, 08:32 AM)

actually, the water from melted snow has a lower "surface tension" than regular water which makes it easier for it to get into small cracks and such ...

Andy

I knew that <_<
Hawk
YOU DOG, YOU!!

I was gonna have you committed or your daily dose raised. smash.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Hawk @ Feb 9 2004, 10:59 AM)
YOU DOG, YOU!!

I was gonna have you committed or your daily dose raised. smash.gif

happy11.gif
Chris H.
Here's what happens when salty water with lower surface tension gets into a longitudinal and sits for a while....
red914
so, is it bad idea to drive a 914 in the snow? i am new, so forgive me for not knowing. i had planned to track down a ski rack, but now i don't know what to do... silly me, i figured if i took extra care to clean it very regularly, the little red car would enjoy a mountain adventure.
rick 918-S
Ya that's what I have....surface tension... headbang.gif
Brad Roberts
Hey Red,

I would keep the car out of the snow and foul weather as much as you can. Nice examples are getting hard to find. No need to expidite the rust issues 90% of these cars already have.

b
rich brennick
If you look closely, to me, the driver of the 914 in the "Schuss Porche" ad looks a bit apprehensive because:
A. How the car is working/ handling in the deep snow.

B. He's actually a metallurgist, and knows full well what will happen to his longitudinals in short time.

C. Have fun and fill in your own thought...

All because SHE wanted to go ski in the mountains!
She does seem pretty happy about it!

Rich- mine's in the barn til May
Chris H.
QUOTE(rich brennick @ Feb 10 2004, 06:56 PM)
If you look closely, to me, the driver of the 914 in the "Schuss Porche" ad looks a bit apprehensive because:
A. How the car is working/ handling in the deep snow.

B. He's actually a metallurgist, and knows full well what will happen to his longitudinals in short time.

C. Have fun and fill in your own thought...

All because SHE wanted to go ski in the mountains!
She does seem pretty happy about it!

Rich- mine's in the barn til May

He does have that "Oh crap!" look on his face doesn't he?

So Rich, you didn't end up selling the green monster after all? I could swear it was on e-bay a while back....
red914
well, i try to keep it out of fould weather as much as possible, but i do live in the pacific northwest, so i will probably not be too sucessful in that. interesting, that note on "lower surface tension" issue.

the problem is this: i was allowed to get the red 914 with the understanding that it would be my daily driver, and that we would not need another vehicle. hmmmm... confused24.gif
bob174
Ok, but you have the car now. Time to start some projects on it so it can be hung up in the garage for a while. Then you have an excuse to buy a used Toyota for daily commuting. Be creative, man.
red914
already have another car; a '94 dodge spirit that, in a fit of inspiration, i painted in a winter camoflage pattern. and mounted a hula girl on the dash. by that i mean i placed a small, springloaded figure of a hula girl on the dash board, not what some of you are probably thinking...

at least it seemed like inspiration; perhaps it was simply midlife...
rich brennick
Chris,
Had a weak moment last summer and tried ebay, but my wife? convinced me to keep the car. Gotta love her.
The "ebay experience" was quite unfulfilling with lots of dumb questions from wannabes offering "lucrative" trades for 83 Horizons, unfinished projects, motorcycles, and commercial trucks!
So, I'm still in the fold; V8s are cool, and my 901 hasn't grenaded yet!
RB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.