Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal Cluster Brake Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Well i traced my faulty brake lights to a bad cluster switch; i think. I bridge the two wires and I get light, but on switch no light.

Going to take it out and try to clean it.
My question: Will the switch work if it is not mounted? ..hold in my hand and pull on lever...should it work in my hand? or it has to be mounted/grounded?

thx
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 23 2008, 02:09 PM) *

My question: Will the switch work if it is not mounted?

yes. two wires - one hot, one ground. it does not ground through the case.
southernmost914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 23 2008, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 23 2008, 02:09 PM) *

My question: Will the switch work if it is not mounted?

Two wires -One positive ,one load, switch is spring loaded and normaly closed ( unmounted lit)

Steve
Jeffs9146

I don't think that is an accurate discription. I think is goes more like, the wires on the switch are a hot wire that completes the circuit and the ground is at the tail light!

shades.gif

Edit: sad.gif Steve beat me too it!
7TPorsh
Weel, took it out, saw how it worked. Turns out even with brake pressure, the switch wasn't clicking.
i mounted it and bent the liottle lever until the slightest bit of pressure triggers the switch. Voila!

Now i just need to get a pedal board cause I broke it doing all this...least I don;t need a switch too.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 23 2008, 05:56 PM) *

Now i just need to get a pedal board cause I broke it doing all this...

Pity - that's one of the few inexpensive parts on the car...

The aluminum pedal boards are a nice upgrade. At least one supporting vendor here makes one that has got very good reviews. 'Search' is your friend - have a look in the 'member vendor' section.
Cap'n Krusty
You DO have the arm of the switch on the side of the pedal washer nearest you, right? It doesn't go under the washer .................

The Cap'n
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2008, 03:45 PM) *

You DO have the arm of the switch on the side of the pedal washer nearest you, right? It doesn't go under the washer .................

The Cap'n

Yes , I have seen your many posts regarding this while hunting in search. I seemed like I really had to put the pressure on the pedal to make the lights go on. Now I pulled on the lever a little so the travel on it is lessened. It works...probably won't know for sure until I get everything together and on the road. biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 23 2008, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 23 2008, 05:56 PM) *

Now i just need to get a pedal board cause I broke it doing all this...

Pity - that's one of the few inexpensive parts on the car...

The aluminum pedal boards are a nice upgrade. At least one supporting vendor here makes one that has got very good reviews. 'Search' is your friend - have a look in the 'member vendor' section.

Saw these but I think he is out of stock? Double the price of the repro at AA; I just can decide if I want to expose it all or let the carpet cover it up.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 23 2008, 07:11 PM) *

Saw these but I think he is out of stock? Double the price of the repro at AA; I just can decide if I want to expose it all or let the carpet cover it up.

here is another source: RennLine. I have these in my 911 (much as I like Engman's products and his 914 speciality, the 911 needs stuff too...).

I always thought the wooden bits was - quaint. Plywood was probably cheaper in the late '60's when the cost-accounting on these cars was done. But do what you like - it's your car.
Eric_Shea
I have some switches if you need one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.