Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fender to cowl seal details
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
I saw a thread a while ago in which I think it was Andy had a couple of pics of the early cowls that were closed up as opposed to using the rubber seal. I know some of you have welded those closed but my question is how were those closed up on the early cars? Did they use some sort of filler? Also, if someone has those pics again I'd love to see them.
Cap'n Krusty
In the 35 years I've been working on 914s on a daily basis, I don't recall ever seeing an original car without the seam (and the filler strip). The Cap'n
gms
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Oct 24 2008, 12:34 AM) *

I saw a thread a while ago in which I think it was Andy had a couple of pics of the early cowls that were closed up as opposed to using the rubber seal. I know some of you have welded those closed but my question is how were those closed up on the early cars? Did they use some sort of filler? Also, if someone has those pics again I'd love to see them.

I have seen 5 with filled seam biggrin.gif
I believe they used lead
Here is 914/6 #35
ahdoman
Ooh, that's a good start. I though in one of the pics I saw you could still see a slight trace of the seam. It looked like they used seam sealer or something like that.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Oct 23 2008, 09:34 PM) *

Not early (production) cars but the Prototypes ('68/'69) had no seam between the cowl and the fender. One piece (sort of), hand made, looks welded and then filled in.
bye1.gif Andy
ahdoman
Thanks Andy, that's what I was looking for. I've got a very early 70 that is a /6 conversion that I am putting back together and I might do some of these non-factory "adaptations" to the car to see what people notice and just to keep them guessing.
Ferg
You don't own the blue conversion that came out of CO do you?

Ferg beerchug.gif
ahdoman
No.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.