Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914 comes home tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug73/2.0
My first 914 comes home tonight. boldblue.gif wub.gif It's a silver 73 2.0 Litre with 125,000 miles.
Question... Where should I attach to underneath to tie the 914 down to a flatbed? My friend who is in construction is loaning me his dump truck & trailer used to haul his backhoe around. We have 120 miles to get her home.

I'll post more detailed pictures tomorrow. Here are a couple pictures from the past owner.
The good... I believe this 914 to be an all original unmolested car, body repaired 10 years ago. The original owner (73-96) lives next door to the owner I bought it from. So if I need to, I can contact the original owner for more history. The 2nd owner only had it on the road one year, last on the road in 97, stored indoors since. It developed a nasty oil leak in 97 and the owner never got the time to try to fix. Luckily, he bought all the parts. Also has a newer clutch, plate and bearing.

The bad...The only rust through my big screwdriver poked through was under the divers seat and along the outer pan seam. A few rust bubbles on the body right were the targa vinyl side meets the body by the drivers door. Also has a exhaust leak and the nasty oil leak. I'm going to remove & flush the tank and lines before I try to see it runs. Owner said it ran fine when parked, he seems a very honest guy who took time to show me everything he thinks is wrong with the car.

The good..The longs, rear suspension,jack posts, battery tray front and rear trucks look great. Everything passed my magnet and screwdriver poke testing.
Also came with a ton of spare parts. The owner had bought a parts car and stripped it down. So it has spare trunk lids, doors, roof, complete spare nice black interior. Four spare aluminium 4 hole rims (I'll post a pic...I don't know what kind they are) and six big boxes of every bloody little part. I look at most of these parts and go.."what the heck is that..."

I'll need to change my screen name from Douswantsa914..to something more appropriate.

Thanks every for all the advice over the past 6 months of my search and a special thanks to Rich Towle for finding it.
Now the fun begins. smile.gif

Doug
markb
Congrats on finding what sounds like a good one! I wish I could track down all the DAPO's for mine. I haven't towed one other than flat towing with a tow bar, so I'm no help that way. Good luck, and try really hard not to fall prey to DirkWright's disease.
Gint
Wrap your straps around the rear shocks and around the front a-arms' perpendicular arm. Works great for me.
Doug73/2.0
A few more pics
Doug73/2.0
another
Doug73/2.0
dash pics...I think the woodgrain is a owner installed modification or was it an option?
MattR
I brought mine home yesterday, a blue 73 2.0, on an auto transporter from UHaul. I absolutly HATE Uhaul. I was going to take our new model Ford Explorer with a uhaul hitch down to temecula from pasadena (about 70 miles each way) and pay 50 bucks for a trailer. BUT, a new insurance policy by UHaul prevents them from renting trailers to Ford Explorers because of the "rollover" possibility. SO I had to rent one of their POS pickup trucks, at 20 bucks plus 79 cents a mile... it came out to like 270 dollars total not including gas. Dont EVER rent from UHaul. THEY SUCK.

The 914 is nice though rolleyes.gif

Attaching to the trailer wasnt a problem. In the front I attached the safety chain through the control arm and in the rear was the transaxle, i think (the seller hitched the rear).
Doug73/2.0
another pic
Aaron Cox
vey nice! smile.gif
Doug73/2.0
last pic for today. Tomorrow.. Pic of the rust
Chris H.
Looks very complete. Nice find!
zehrschnell914
What kind of tie-downs are you using? I'm sure they use chains to tie the dozer down, and you can use them for the 914 also, but you will want to wrap them with something first. Old firehose is best, but rags will work in a pinch.

If you have ratchet straps (best option), I would do just what Gint recommended. Good luck with your road trip. From the pics, it looks like a very nice car.

Mike

www.speedssupertow.com
tommy914
The only thing I know about putting a 914 on a trailer is, don't put it on backwards.
The wind can get up under the roof and rip it off.
Brad Roberts
Tommy ?? do you speak from experience ?? laugh.gif

I use nylon tie downs with the hooks on the ends. In Ca. the law says you have to have 4 straps on the car at all times. I hook two to the front control arms and two longer ones around the shocks in the back. The back ones go up and come back to the same mounting point on the trailer. The front ones hook to trailer and hook to the control arms. I also use axle straps that I hook too if it's a short pull (like 300miles).

Nice car. We can change your Login at any time.

B
East coaster
Was that the Delaware ebay car??
rick 918-S
Really? The tops can lift off? I was planning on trailering my car to the West Coast 914 Classic. I have a very nice trailer I built for small cars. It's low for ease of loading and short for smooth towing. The only problem is I have to put the engine weight forward. Maybe I'll need to re-think this.

BTW: A dump truck and loader trailer? confused24.gif for a 914? confused24.gif for 150 miles? confused24.gif You want that car BAD! wub.gif
Doug73/2.0
Made it home just fine...Took to 1am. The straps idea worked great. Thanks for the advice. This was the car listed in the PCA net in Somerset Mass. The owner was asking $2000, he let it go for $1750 when we found soft spots under the drivers seat and the oil leak.
Bob, who I bought the car from is a super nice honest gentlemen who took time to show me everything he knew to be wrong, couldn't ask for anything else.
Doug
seanery
so, Doug, are you now DougGotA914 ? we can make that change for you.
djm914-6
Nice looking car, Doug. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.