Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
I'm going to need a fuel pump for carbs. Any suggestions? I've heard mixed opinions on the Facet pumps. I'm looking at Holley pumps on eBay... are they robust enough that I can think about buying a used one? And then there's the question... mount it by the gas tank, or in the engine bay?
southernmost914
I think they are robust enough but are presett to run 8 to 9 psi. So you will need a fuel regulator to drop it to 3.5 psi. Maybe better to find a pump self regulated at 3.5 psi. If your going to have the car all apart, might as well mount it up front. bye1.gif

Steve
ClayPerrine
Peerburg pump. Already runs the correct pressure for a set of webers, and is quiet. Mount it up front by the tank. It will work better pushing than it will pulling.

At Zims, we put them on old 911s when the factory bosch pump goes out.

Elliot Cannon
You can't PULL a liquid!
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 24 2008, 11:40 AM) *

Peerburg pump. Already runs the correct pressure for a set of webers, and is quiet. Mount it up front by the tank. It will work better pushing than it will pulling.

This one?

Pierburg Fuel Pump
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 24 2008, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 24 2008, 11:40 AM) *

This one?

Pierburg Fuel Pump

That's the one!!! I am going to use it on my 911 when I finally put the engine in it.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 24 2008, 11:54 AM) *

You can't PULL a liquid!

Yeah, but if the pump is lower than the tank, it could still be located in the engine bay... fuel would run to the engine bay even without a pump biggrin.gif

I was leaning towards front mount anyhow, if for no other reason than the pump would be better protected.
southernmost914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 24 2008, 03:54 PM) *

You can't PULL a liquid!

You are right that pump sucks! That is the same pump I am running and works fine.

Steve
Root_Werks
That's a good price, my cost is $85 for them. I got one sitting in will call for my 914. Glad I checked this thread! biggrin.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 24 2008, 12:35 PM) *

That's a good price, my cost is $85 for them. I got one sitting in will call for my 914. Glad I checked this thread! biggrin.gif

They tack on a $4 handling charge dry.gif

But then shipping is only $4.80.

I might have to go for this when the time comes.
KaptKaos
I'm running a CB rotary pump. Quiet and internally regulated.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 24 2008, 01:20 PM) *

I'm running a CB rotary pump. Quiet and internally regulated.

Hmmm... that's another interesting option.
biosurfer1
I'll be using a CB perf. too... Justinp71 has one running his new 3.0 6 and its quiet and gives a constant 3.5 according to his gauge.
Root_Werks
The CB pump would probably work great as well, but I already have the other sitting for me to pick up. Since my 914 is a 74' and the wiring is already back there, I'll just leave it in the back and mount it up. I plan on having a pressure regulator in place as well and hooking the return line up etc.etc.
yeahmag
So far so good with my CB pump. Mine is mounted where the original fuel filter was...
Root_Werks
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 24 2008, 03:30 PM) *

So far so good with my CB pump. Mine is mounted where the original fuel filter was...

How much $$$ was it? Did I just pay $85 for something I could have got for $40?
yeahmag
I got mine a long time ago, but it looks like they are $55.00
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577
DBCooper
One more for the CB Performance. They've given me yeas of quiet service on a variety of different cars and never a problem. And it's nice not to need a separate pressure regulator. Used the Holley one time, never again.
Elliot Cannon
[quote name='Todd Enlund' date='Oct 24 2008, 12:59 PM' post='1094538']
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' post='1094533' date='Oct 24 2008, 11:54 AM']
You can't PULL a liquid!
[/quote]
Yeah, but if the pump is lower than the tank, it could still be located in the engine bay... fuel would run to the engine bay even without a pump biggrin.gif

That's exactly my point. If the pump is lower than the tank, the static pressure to the pump is the same, weather the pump is in the front or the back.

Root_Werks
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:46 PM' post='1094600']
You can't PULL a liquid!
[/quote]

That's exactly my point. If the pump is lower than the tank, the static pressure to the pump is the same, weather the pump is in the front or the back.
[/quote]

Yup, being a Boiler Sup and dealing with Hydronic loops/pumps all day, liquid doesn't lend to being sucked or pulled very well. Loves to be pushed as we all know it's a non-compressable. wink.gif I'll move my pump to the front at some point. But not right now.
southernmost914
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:46 PM' post='1094600']
You can't PULL a liquid!
[/quote]

[/quote]
agree.gif This is getting deep. Ok, yes static pressure is the same front or back depending on the height the pump is mounted . The fuel line is a restiction to flow. The longer the line from the tank to the pump the more restriction to flow from the tank to the pump. The harder the pump will have to work for the same difference in pressure. It's only a pair of 44 webers. biggrin.gif

Steve
PeeGreen 914
So I need a new pump and am going to locate it to the front. Is the CB good for my six and what regulator did you guys use?

Yes Todd... I am hijacking your thread... kinda laugh.gif
Mark Henry
For me it depends on the HP, faucet, CB are OK till about 140- 150hp, after that they will lean out your engine bad as they can't keep up.

After 150HP I use a Holley pump and regulator.

BTW The little silver round pressure regulators are pure junk.
zx-niner
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 24 2008, 12:54 PM) *

You can't PULL a liquid!

How do you think a straw works? idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Oct 24 2008, 11:23 PM) *

You can't PULL a liquid!

Oh geez.... this again av-943.gif

There was a big thread about this about six months ago or a year ago.
rhodyguy
why the big rush to relocate the pumps to the front? the cb will mount nicely to the rear of the lower firewall. you'll either have to figure a way to splice into the stock wiring at the rear so you can use the relay and fuse or run to a keyed terminal off the interior fuse panel. carry fuses with the later.

k
Elliot Cannon

You can't PULL a liquid!

You lower the pressure in the straw and the liquid is "pushed" through by outside air pressure. It was all explained to me when I bought the manual that also included this explanation for how them airplane things fly.
ericread
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 26 2008, 01:00 PM) *

You can't PULL a liquid!

You lower the pressure in the straw and the liquid is "pushed" through by outside air pressure. It was all explained to me when I bought the manual that also included this explanation for how them airplane things fly.

lol3.gif

Great post - I wondered how an airplane gets airborne!!!

Eric
Mikey914
As an airline pilot I can summarize how aircraft fly .....PFM
Pure F'n magic
But seriously, it should work either way, just lie a hydraulic pump, which basically it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.