Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I THINK I finally found my Rover V8 conversion project car and plan on picking it up tomorrow. Being that it's almost 300 miles away I'd like to tow it on a dolly, owner says rear tires are up to it.

My only concern is if there is any reason the tranny can't take a long tow. The transmission in my TR8 expressly forbids towing since the mainshaft drives the oil pump and without that turning there is no lube to the bearings. Any prob with the 914? Thanks.

Tom

BTW, I'll post some pics when I get it home and let you guys start spending my money.
DBCooper
No problem for transmission. Just make sure the trunks and top are tight so nothing flies off.
Cap'n Krusty
Make sure there's oil in the tranny ....................... The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Discussion on the bird board about it right now. Dan (Almaden here) and many others have done it quite successfully. The ones who have weighed in to the contrary seemingly have never done it (read: armchair quarterbacks).

As the Cap'n states, make sure the tranny is lubed up and you should be good to go. The ring gear should spalsh enough around to keep everyone else cool and happy.
LarryR
I would say that if it has been sitting for any length of time that you should consider towing it with all 4 off the ground. Brakes like to sieze up after sitting for a long time.... No concern with the trans though.

All three of the 914's I bought have come home on trailers smile.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif w/Larry. Always best to stick it on a bed if you "can".
Gint
BTDT... more than once. Never had an issue. I would not recommend towing it backwards though. smile.gif BTDT also... Stopped a couple of miles down the road and turned the 914 around. laugh.gif
Cheapsnake
Thanks guys. Well it looks like it won't be this wekend after all since I couldn't book a car hauler or dolly to save my life. Apparently all the snowbirds are heading to Florida with their Buicks in tow. Oh well, next weekend.

Btw, I'm needing to clean out the garage of the remnants of my last project car (doomed by rust) so if you need anything let me know.

Tom
Dr Evil
Done it many times, once across country with no issues. It is fine. Flat towing it has been done as well, across country with no issues. Arm chair QB can kiss my ass.
p914
You might think about a Uhaul or Penske truck that you could push it into and drive it.
Eric_Shea
I couldn't book a car hauler or dolly to save my life.

It might be cheaper to get a flat tow rig from David Lee and have it forever:

http://www.rennenmetal.com/products.asp?cat=2
914werke
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.