Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 injectors into a 2.0 (Temporary)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Here is the deal, I have a 1.7 that was running well 2 years ago.
I bought a 2.0 this past winter. It had sat for about 24 years. The injectors, fuel gauge, fuel pump etc. were all seized. (Varnished) I was able to free up the fuel pump and injectors(injectors took 24 volts and lots of carb cleaner but I was able to get them to click and then seal up ok)
I'm now trying to start my engine (after a complete tear down, reseal and gasket) but it doesn't fire on all cylinders and I have one cylinder with gas coming out the exhaust.
I was thinking about getting my 1.7 out of storage and pulling the injectors just to get it running and move it around so I can store it for winter.
Does anyone see much of a problem with this?

Tx
Doug
jimkelly
i am talking out my butt - but you should be fine - for just moving it around a little - driving it will probably run it LEAN
jk76.914
I bought my '76 in '83. Drive it for about 7 years and then decided to do the top side fuel line replacement. Turns out, it had one 1.7 injector all that time. Looked at the PO's receipts, and turns out, the local Porsche dealer had installed it in 1979!

Sure ran better after I replaced it, but didn't hurt anything. Oh, the PO had done all the shade tree stuff to "increase" performance- pulled the TS1 cable, added the ballast resistor, and cranked the pressure up to 35 psi. So that cylinder was probably running fine, and the other 3 rich..... May have burned a valve or something if everything was as it should have been....
swl
from toon's thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=71966

Yarin's data:
Stock injectors flow:
Yellow (1.7L) - 265 cc/min (25.2 lbs/hr) @ 2.0 Bar
Green (2.0L) - 380 cc/min (36.1 lbs/hr) @ 2.0 Bar

That suggests you would be running lean. Electrically they are the same so your should be safe in using them. Just might have to get some enrichment by kicking the throttle a bit while cranking.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Oct 25 2008, 07:15 PM) *

I'm now trying to start my engine (after a complete tear down, reseal and gasket) but it doesn't fire on all cylinders and I have one cylinder with gas coming out the exhaust.

Doug, I had these symptoms when the diaphragm on the fuel pressure reg ruptured. This failure passed raw fuel through the pressure reg vent line into the plenum. The engine wouldn't start, and raw fuel was dripping out of the #3 exhaust port. Pull off the vent line and run the pump. If fuel is pissing out, replace the reg.
tracks914
I got it running, with 2 yellow and 2 green injectors. Thanks all.
Now to find a good set of green injectors.....cheap!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.