Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plasma torch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I have been thinking about getting a plasma torch. This would be mostly used cutting parts cars and other 914 work. I had a chance recently to use a Harbor Freight unit. I saw work that others had done and the cut looked O.K. but I was not able to use it satisfactorily. My cuts were too slow, uneven and I had difficulty keeping the torch going hot. What are you guys using? What should I look for in a good torch. Any recommendation appreciated.
IronHillRestorations
Mark, I got one from HTP

http://www.htpweld.com/products/plasma_cutters/index.htm

Jeff Noland is the owner, and he's also got a 914!
smdubovsky
I had a chinese "Cut40" that is sold on the web/ebay. It worked fairly well w/ clean metal, but it wouldn't pierce paint. I could see the pilot arc but no cutting arc would start. No one could help get it adjusted. Again, it worked but wasn't great. I couldn't complain too much because it was so inexpensive. I ended up giving it to my brther.

I recently picked up a used hypertherm powermax unit. HOLY COW is there a difference in quality (well, and price.) Cuts faster & much cleaner, no problems w/ arc start (it can even start an arc by itself), & all the consumable fit together w/ precision (vs the super wobbly fit of the Cut40). Also, there is a "fine cut" sheet metal consumables kit avail which is supposed to have a very narrow kerf for thin matl.

Anyway, If I had to do it over I would have bought a used name brand unit from the start. Either buy a $100 chinese one and live w/ it not being perfect or spend more and buy a good one. It also depends on how often you'll use it.
dflesburg
Got the hobart last christmas for $550

Best tool since the magnet on a telescoping antenna.

LOL...
736conver
I have a hypertherm 1250. Will cut anything, even expanded steel.

Can change the tips on it for fine cut or contact tip etc etc..

Works really nice.

Bartlett 914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Oct 26 2008, 08:01 PM) *

Got the hobart last christmas for $550

Best tool since the magnet on a telescoping antenna.

LOL...

So I take it the Hobart is junk?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 26 2008, 12:30 PM) *

Mark, I got one from HTP

http://www.htpweld.com/products/plasma_cutters/index.htm

Jeff Noland is the owner, and he's also got a 914!

Hi Perry

Which model are you using?
Brett W
I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 39. I love it. Just make sure you buy a five or ten pack of consumables to keep around. I cut everything from thin sheetmetal to 1/4in aluminum plate with no problems.

On thing I would say, get a spare 55gallon drum and put a grate over the top of it. This way you contain all the slag in the barrel. Works great.
IronHillRestorations
Good idea Brett!

Mark, I have the 250, but I don't think they make that same model now.
Heeltoe914
I like my Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 75 Or 100 PAX I used it on a skylight job with 200 feet of extension cord. 8hrs a day for two weeks This thing never let us down great unit.
sean_v8_914
Miller spectrum 375. runs on 110 or 220. cuts AL, steel, paint, has auto pilot arc. makes razor sharp lines

the trick to longer lasting consumables is clean DRY air
Brett W
The Miller units aren't as good as the Plasma Cutter specific manufactures. I found this out when I was looking for mine. I have however used a Spectrum 675 to cut aluminum plate and it did fine.

I have heard you can use MIG anti splatter gel on the tips of a plasma cutter to help extend the life as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.