Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you fix this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
My car was clipped befor I bought it. good possibility the front hood is not original. Respray... so is there a way to get it to line up at the corners. The middle is tight as possible, but the hood itself does not meet at either side, I dont want to try to bend it a little and then I need another hood. dry.gif

anyone eles have this problem, how did you fix..
KELTY360
Show the body gaps at the cowl.
r_towle
It can be bent to a point...then it kinks.
Show the underside of the lid...lets see if there is already a kink.

Rich
markb
Is there room to move the latch farther down into the body? It's only 3 bolts.
sww914
I've done it many many times on many kinds of cars, in fact Markb and I did it to his rear trunk lid recently. It's scary but I have never ruined one. You put a short piece of 2X4 or 4X4 in the middle to block the hood up a bit and 2 people push down. It is important that one person mostly holds down and the other does most of the pushing. If both people push at the same time you can't feel what's going on and you have less control. Take your time, push a little bit, check your work, push a bit more and check it again.
j-mccar3
open the hood put your foot on the bumper were the low spot and use your knee as a pivot and one hand on either side of the hood and slowly flex the outer sides of the hood down it is like adjusting a door that has a window frame for air noise you may have to do this a few times to get it right if you flex the hood to much with out moving your pivot point (your knee) you will kink your hood and you are screwed then check the adjustment on your latch
zambezi
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 26 2008, 05:50 PM) *

I've done it many many times on many kinds of cars, in fact Markb and I did it to his rear trunk lid recently. It's scary but I have never ruined one. You put a short piece of 2X4 or 4X4 in the middle to block the hood up a bit and 2 people push down. It is important that one person mostly holds down and the other does most of the pushing. If both people push at the same time you can't feel what's going on and you have less control. Take your time, push a little bit, check your work, push a bit more and check it again.

+1 to that. I've done this same method a few times myself and it works. Go slow and check and recheck but you should be able to get it without paint or panel damage.
JIM
markb
QUOTE(j-mccar3 @ Oct 26 2008, 05:35 PM) *

open the hood put your foot on the bumper were the low spot and use your knee as a pivot and one hand on either side of the hood and slowly flex the outer sides of the hood down it is like adjusting a door that has a window frame for air noise you may have to do this a few times to get it right if you flex the hood to much with out moving your pivot point (your knee) you will kink your hood and you are screwed then check the adjustment on your latch

Wow, use some punctuation. blink.gif
jmill
Be very, very careful. It gives very little warning before it kinks. BTDT.
SirAndy
Just use your hands. Done it many times. Open the Hood, grab the front center with one hand and pull the edges to where you want them.

Pull slow and steady. You can feel the metal move and you can get it back into shape in no time.
bye1.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 26 2008, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(j-mccar3 @ Oct 26 2008, 05:35 PM) *

Wow, use some punctuation. blink.gif

Are you supposed to use the punctuation on the pivot side or on the flex side??? And how much punctuation should you use???

Eric lol3.gif
klikkid3
I love how others on here have the same problems I do, my hood is the exact same way as the pics. That fix sounds scary as hell but I will try this weekend. Thanks for the post.
r_towle
Put a 2 foot tall 4*4 under the middle of the front brace of the hood.
Gently apply pressure to both sides.
Gently means it should take about 15-20 tries to get it perfect.
Between each try....test to see how it fits.
Its slow and gently and nothing bad will happen.
If you go to fast you loose.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.