Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: J-tube cap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Anyone know of an alternate part for the VW plastic cap (part# 411261813) that fits over the top of the J-tube?

VW parts guy doesn't recognize the number, and I don't really have to have the VW part - just want something that will cap the J-tube off cleanly and stand up to the heat.

TIA,
East coaster
Check out Fernco caps. Might be available at Homer Depot? or do a search on Fernco. I've used Fernco rubber fittings in water cooled marine exhaust applications and had no problems with heat.
JeffBowlsby
Why not just get the stock cap? I am sure HPH has them. Please dont put some plumbing part on these cars...they may revolt and rebel against the foreign object....

rolleyes.gif
swood
What exactly is that tube for, being capped off and all. I was wondering that this weekend.
mike_the_man
The bottom of a Pepsi can and a hose clamp. Thats what the PO put on my car, but coming off of the heat exchanger where the flapper box should be. And he wasn't sure why the heat didn't work. Hmmm, I wonder?
swood
Shouldn't it be a beer can to work properly? laugh.gif
mike_the_man
I'm sure a beer can would be much more effective!
brant
I've seen a rattle pan paint cap on one that fit very well..
b
3d914
You guys get the same razzing I gave the folks on "the bird" site.

We want our 914's to be more than plastered together VW's - right?

Although I appreciate your creativity - lets pass on the beer cans and paint caps OK!

I know we can do better than this!
maf914
Go buy a case of Warstiener in cans. Good stuff. Drink 24 beers, then cut the last emty can in half. You've found your cap! Made in Germany, too, which will please the CW's, I'm sure! laugh.gif

Mike
rhodyguy
i vote for the rubber pipe cap and a stainless pipe clamp. or better yet, get a splitter and 2 hoses. i found the pieces for the 75 and still need the setup for the 73.

kevin
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(3d914 @ Feb 9 2004, 07:00 PM)
I know we can do better than this!

Well, there's a Ferrari part that fits and works well. It's only $873.84 for each one...

Seriously, what the heck is it you want? You've got a lot of suggestions for easy and cheap ways to go with this, but "we can do better"? You're gonna have to give us a direction to go. Has to be a "real" Porsche part? Has to be a car part? Must cost more than 37 cents? What are the criteria for "better"??

--DD
mike_the_man
agree.gif

I think a beer can would be just fine! But, I'm cheap, and I have a lot of beer cans laying around. A very elegant solution! And an excuse to have a beer (like anybody ever needed one of those!)

beer3.gif
3d914
OK guys you're right - I submit in utter foolishness! pray.gif

I'll pick up a couple paint cans of my favorite color, get a little high, then slap the caps on the tops of my J-tube. At that point I'll never think again of having a 914 that is remotely refined.

Thanks for helping me over that one.
Qarl
Heck... we coulda suggested duct tape or bondo!

At least we all thought of something round or about the right size!
mike_the_man
Ohh, ohh, I know what would make it more refined! Maybe an empty Grey Poupon container? Or maybe a Caviar container? (I have no idea what Caviar comes in) That sounds pretty refined to me!
laugh.gif
Whats wrong with the factory caps? I'm sure lots of people have them laying around.
Gint
Why not make a Plasti-dip cap? Dip a paint can cap in Plasti-dip. Never tried it, but...

http://www.plastidip.com/
swood
But why is the j-tube capped? Is it connected to something in some cases?
Dave_Darling
70-72 cars had a fan with two outlets. A hose ran from each to one J-tube.

75-76 cars had a splitter on the single outlet of the fan. One hose ran to each J-tube.

73-74 cars had the single outlet fan, only hooked up to the driver's side J-tube. A plastic cap was put onto the passenger's side one to keep too much cooling air from escaping that way.

--DD
swood
Oh. Ok. That makes some sense.

Thanks O Damp one. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.