Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saying good bye to 4742901857 (sniff, sniff)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I picked up 4742901857 this past summer from the classifieds here. It had been hit on the passanger front and somewhat repaired. The body was twisted and passenegr fender, while repaired, was tweeked pretty bad. After futher inspection it was deemed to be a parts donor. sad.gif

So... it end life on 8/25/08 under the hands of myself, Glenn Stazak, Mark Kinnaman, and Mark Zimmerman. Mark Z (aka Zimms) needed some body parts for one of his project cars. So here are a some pictures for all us sick sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif people aktion035.gif

First is my shop that I share with a a buddy of mine. He is a MG guy, but does have a Porsche 924 turbo I know, but hey at least its a Porsche icon8.gif and a 83 944 project car (the one in primer). You will notice the 924 was up on the rack yet again this time for new muffler.

Click to view attachment
Poor little 4742901857 waiting inthe corner
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
The guys making up "The Plan" on how and where to cut
Click to view attachment
Glenn making the first cuts
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
Passenger rear is off now time for the driver side sawzall-smiley.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Save the trans mounts
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
Last few pictures.
Click to view attachment
Removing the front suspension
Click to view attachment
We cut some more of the floor pan out for Glenn. My camera died so no more sawzall-smiley.gif But here is what's left waiting to go to the scrap yard Monday morning. The truck bed has the smaller junk metal parts.
Click to view attachment

Thanks to Glenn, Mark & Mark for coming over and having some fun. It actually didn't take that long. If it wasn't for all the BSing we did it woud have been done in a few hours at most.

Zimms
Garold, Mark, and Glenn -

That was a blast. I learned a lot. Thanks for hosting Garold!

Mark
GaroldShaffer
Your welcome. Been thinking today that next year we will have a BBQ at the shop and I am sure ther will be another parts car. We could cut it up so others could see "the insides" of a 914. idea.gif beerchug.gif chowtime.gif & sawzall-smiley.gif then take our 914 and go driving.gif this could be fun.
markb
Uh oh, it's not just us Californians cutting them up now. biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 26 2008, 07:36 PM) *

True, but us midwest types need more of a reason that just faded paint a rusty jack post. biggrin.gif
mein_tag
hold the boat. is it possible to get the pass fender?
i can pay shipping and labor....
GaroldShaffer
You don't want that fender. It is full of bondo and bent. If it was good I would have saved it.
sww914
Molesters!
Root_Werks
Cutting up any 914 sucks, but you sure do learn a lot about the cars when you do cut into one. sawzall-smiley.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 27 2008, 09:07 AM) *

Cutting up any 914 sucks, but you sure do learn a lot about the cars when you do cut into one. sawzall-smiley.gif

agree.gif

But this car only looked O.K. I was really disappointed on how little of it was salvageable. Front fenders were bent and full of bondo. The rears were saved but I think Mark is only going to use part of them. They were far from perfect. In the front, everything was damaged. Maybe a headlight bucket could have been saved but that was it. The best part (IMHO) was the top seal which will make it's new home on my DD. Thanks Garold! piratenanner.gif

It was a really good day and we had fun. I am looking forward to seeing more of Garold's shop in the future. beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
yep, that car was proof that pictures don't always tell the truth. Don't get me wrong, I knew what I was buying so there are NO bad feelings towards the seller. Any parts car I buy is just that, a parts car. If it is in better condition than I thought it is going to be then great, but I usually don't get my hopes up.
gms
Garold, Mark & Mark I had a good time! Garold thanks for hosting!
As Garold said we (Midwesterners) don't whack a car just because it has a bad paint job biggrin.gif sadly this 914 was not repairable with out spending many hrs/$$.
gms
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 26 2008, 10:36 PM) *

They are usally so rusty that we just tear them apart av-943.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 27 2008, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Oct 26 2008, 10:36 PM) *

They are usally so rusty that we just tear them apart av-943.gif

Yeah, just fold on the perforated lines and tear the pieces apart...

Looked like a real neat time. I'll have to give you a list of pieces to look out for Garold for your next tear down party. Heck, I may have a donor car you could use as well, though I don't think it has the pieces I'll need...
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 27 2008, 11:48 AM) *

agree.gif

He's already got 6 DEAD 914's in his VIN Info. That makes him a MASS MURDERER!!!
sad.gif Andy
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 27 2008, 11:57 AM) *

agree.gif

He's already got 6 DEAD 914's in his VIN Info. That makes him a MASS MURDERER!!!
sad.gif Andy

I like to think of myself as the Dr. Kevorkian of very rusty 914's. Just helping them along to the next world.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 27 2008, 03:48 PM) *

IPB Image

Zach

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
gms
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2008, 05:07 PM) *

agree.gif

sad.gif Andy

I like to think of myself as the Dr. Kevorkian of very rusty 914's. Just helping them along to the next world.

I have 30 something in the basement and crawl space... OH NO
does that make me the Gacy of 914s blink.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 27 2008, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2008, 05:07 PM) *

agree.gif

sad.gif Andy

I have 30 something in the basement and crawl space... OH NO
does that make me the Gacy of 914s blink.gif

Yes beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.