Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interested, but confused.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poleposition19
I am going to try to get a 914 soon. There are just so many choices. I like the 2.0s but absolutely love the gt 6s. Since my dad and I are decent mechanics with experience(My dad has a 76 911s, 1st and only owner) I deffinetaly want to modify whatever car we get. Since the 2.0 seems to be the most reasonable road to follow what should I be looking for in used cars. I want it to be that 2.0 with an edge if you catch my drift.

What are the most common engine and suspension upgrades to a 914? When(hopefully) I get one what are the first upgrades to make the car stand out from the stockers.

Please send me in the right direction.
SirAndy
QUOTE(poleposition19 @ Oct 27 2008, 02:00 PM) *

what should I be looking for in used cars.

Three things:

1. Rust
2. Iron Oxide
3. Corrosion

bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png

PPS: Buy the best one you can afford for your money! Have someone who knows these cars do a PPI for you! Take your time, chose wisely!
poleposition19
Thanks, oh.... what is the thing people refer to the hell hole(sorry if im sounding really dumb)

Other than here where is the best place to look for 914s?

And where are the best places to find parts, used and new upgrades?
blitZ
There is a pretty good buyers guide on the PP site.

... and of course Welcome. beer3.gif
Buyer's Guide

SirAndy
QUOTE(poleposition19 @ Oct 27 2008, 02:32 PM) *

Thanks, oh.... what is the thing people refer to the hell hole(sorry if im sounding really dumb)

The area in the engine bay right under the battery tray (if that hasn't rusted away yet).

Battery acid and water makes for some "interesting" reshaping of the metal framerail in that area.
With the framerail being the backbone of your car!

shades.gif Andy

PS: This is what rust in the hell hole area eventually does to your car:

IPB Image
jmill
You can always change the engine and add sway bars. Don't pass up a rust free 1.7 because your looking for a 2.0. Just get the cleanest rust free car you can afford. You'll be money and time ahead not having to do rust repairs. Instead of cutting out rusted long sections you could be building up a 2056.
Eric_Shea
Three things:

1. Rust
2. Iron Oxide
3. Corrosion

Don't forget RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 27 2008, 06:08 PM) *

Three things:

1. Rust
2. Iron Oxide
3. Corrosion

bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png

PPS: Buy the best one you can afford for your money! Have someone who knows these cars do a PPI for you! Take your time, chose wisely!

av-943.gif , agree.gif , welcome.png

Once you've picked her out you'll find out how much $ you need to fix up "the poor mans Porsche". Not trying to discourage you but there really is nothing cheap about these cars. Good luck!
poleposition19
How much "should" a pretty much rust free 914 cost me? ive seen a couple that look awful cheap to be "rust free"
r_towle
honestly...5k-15k
10k will be the norm for a rust free car.
5k is a lucky find.
15k is a bit at the top of the market but it may be a perfect car.

contact Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing (a member vendor here)
He works on alot of these and he may know where there are a few local to us that are for sale...you never know

Chris is also a great person to know if you are needing metalwork done on the car.

Rich
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(poleposition19 @ Oct 27 2008, 08:47 PM) *

How much "should" a pretty much rust free 914 cost me? ive seen a couple that look awful cheap to be "rust free"

Check this beauty out-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=320312426102

has not met the $38K reserve yet. This car is real money & appears to be well worth it.
championgt1
welcome.png

Take your time and you will find the car you want.
tronporsche
I don't know how much you have to spend, but the white 914 with the body kit for sale yesterday for $8500 looked nice to me. It had the body modifications, and is said by seller to have a good 1.7 engine. Being that the body is done already, you would be halfway done with your 914 "different" car, and will be ahead of the game by saving money because it costs a lot to get that body kit done !!!
carr914
Eastcoaster's ad in the classifieds for his nephew's car looks like a very nice car. Not too much bidding on eBay yet. It has Deep 6's, very nice interior, European flavor.

T.C.
Spoke
QUOTE(poleposition19 @ Oct 27 2008, 08:47 PM) *

This 74 2L fuel injected beauty located in Allentown will run you about $8K. Low rust, proper 5-lug suspension w/7 & 8 inch wide 15 inch replicas, excellent interior.

You could be driving this car this weekend. I will be. beerchug.gif

horizontally-opposed
welcome.png

My best advice, like others here, would be to buy the best tub you can find. It's more fun (and cheaper) to spend your money on upgrades than rust repair.

I'd add this: favor a car you like in terms of color and one with all of the glass/rubber/trim in superb shape because all of those things are SERIOUSLY expensive, and, again, it's more fun to spend money on the fun stuff like engine, five-lug conversion, brakes, suspension, etc. -- especially if you like the GT thing than to spend it on piddly parts from Porsche with not-so-piddly prices.

Finally, if smog is not an issue and this will be a street car, consider looking for a 1975-76 914 and backdate to lighter bumpers. That way, you get all of the factory upgrades (better seals, superior fuel pump, more crash protection, better side windows, side-shift trans, etc.) and can start deleting the added weight as YOU see fit.

Happy hunting!

pete
poleposition19
so what your saying is get a later model and convert the parts you dont like. Can you switch and swap all the bumpers including the chrome ones.

Like you guys said, im going to take my time to find the car i want. I just found out I might be able to get a set of fuchs and tires for free. drooley.gif Will 15s fit?? or will i have to roll the drivers side fender
southernmost914
QUOTE(poleposition19 @ Oct 28 2008, 08:10 PM) *

so what your saying is get a later model and convert the parts you dont like. Can you switch and swap all the bumpers including the chrome ones.

Like you guys said, im going to take my time to find the car i want. I just found out I might be able to get a set of fuchs and tires for free. drooley.gif Will 15s fit?? or will i have to roll the drivers side fender

Fuch 15?
No problem.

Steve
LowGT
My 74 1.8 is for sale and has very little rust. A little surface rust in the bottom of the rear trunk and the battery tray is rusty but the hell hole is complete and strong.

Check it out in the FS forum. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.