Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Does anyone know where this is?
I have heard it shows up at some CA car shows, like ponoma....

Or the second one...or the one up in WA state that lifts the whole cab..( i cant find that pic)

Rich
spare time toys
second one was here in the DFW area. I was going to look at it about a year or so ago when it was for sale on the Samba. Never made it over to the guys place though.
rick 918-S
Cool idea.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 30 2008, 02:34 AM) *

Cool idea.gif

Its a damn good thing we dont live near each other...our wifes would hate it...

Rich
dw914er
that is cool

potential 914 hauler
spare time toys
Go to this thread I did back when I was thinking about the last one.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=42036&hl=

Theres a couple of VW hauler conversions there beerchug.gif
r_towle
This technology is what I would like to play around with.

RJMII
I'm guessing it is front wheel drive... that sure would make it easier to load to have the bed drop down like that.
r_towle
yes, the Eurovan is FWD

Rich
RJMII
You wanting to make one of the old ones frontwheel drive and have the loading area drop down between the wheels?

hmm... 911 transmission? 'mid' engine where you're pretty much sitting over the engine?

What are you thinking here, Rich?
r_towle
QUOTE(RJMII @ Oct 30 2008, 04:38 PM) *

You wanting to make one of the old ones frontwheel drive and have the loading area drop down between the wheels?

hmm... 911 transmission? 'mid' engine where you're pretty much sitting over the engine?

What are you thinking here, Rich?

First thought is buy one that is done...
That would be my first choice.

Second, build one from an old single cab using a subaru power plant mid engined with the subaru 4wd tranny to supply power to both sets of rear wheels.

Third option ,which just based upon the body style is not as appealing, is to do the rig with a Eurovan...
I love the Eurovan platform and its got enough motor and suspension to be a hauler...just not as pretty in the long run.
with the Eurovan the cool factor would be the lowering of the bed.

rich
RJMII
ahhh... NICE! I like option 2, that'd be a pretty good setup. Would certainly have a low enough profile, enough power and traction.

You've got some pretty cool ideas there, sir. I always like to see what sort of creative ride you're contemplating. (or building)
r_towle
gotta transport the teenster to events and I suspect it will be a fairly harsh ride at the end of the day given what I have planned.

Rich
scotty b
Porsche and VW factories actually had these " back in the day " to transport bodies from one location to the other. There were some pics a few years ago in the registry mag a few years ago of them. Really cool
carr914
Rich, from seeing what your doing with the Teenster, I think you have the talent to replicate this.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
That is so cool...do you have more pics or a name of the car???

Rich
r_towle
I could go for a 3.6 liter conversion like this....
might be a cool modern version of the old classic...
And a fast truck.

Rich
ws91420
one of a kind 1955 Mercedes high speed race car transporter
So.Cal.914
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
That sure is one hell of an RV. I thought it would be neat to take a 1970s GMC Motorhome and hinge the rear hatch to make a big toy hauler. With the FWD and relatively low floor (plus airbag rear suspension so it could be lowered or raised), it should work easily.

Not quite as neat as that Mercedes hauler, but probably a lot more possible!
racerbvd
It was listed for sale on The Samba a few years ago, and yes, I tried to trade for it too. It was also in a VW magazine many years ago and yes, I have that issue somewhere huh.gif
Bill D
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 30 2008, 11:50 PM) *

That sure is one hell of an RV. I thought it would be neat to take a 1970s GMC Motorhome and hinge the rear hatch to make a big toy hauler. With the FWD and relatively low floor (plus airbag rear suspension so it could be lowered or raised), it should work easily.

I have a GMC motorhome. It has enough power to pull a 914 on a trailer. It would be a shame to have to gut one. You would loose all the RV stuff. There are some transmodes that come up for sale.

The GMC motorhome could be considered the Porsche of RV's. It has torsion bars, a transaxle, has a low center of gravity, and an air cooled motor in the back that leaks oil. It is also the worlds fastest class A motorhome.

Click to view attachment
spare time toys
The GMC motorhome could be considered the Porsche of RV's. It has torsion bars, a transaxle, has a low center of gravity, and an air cooled motor in the back that leaks oil. It is also the worlds fastest class A motorhome.

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Just what year would that be? Every one I ever saw or worked on when I was at the dealership was front drive with a Olds 455 and auto trans axel with airbags that leaked on the early ones. The only air cooled engine was the POS gen they had. But they still to this day are one of the coolest looking motorhomes ever made IMHO. I would like to get one and update it to a duramax and bring the interior out of the 70s for use going to my boys baseball games.
PlanB
Seen at the RennSport Reunion in Daytona last Fall:Click to view attachment
maf914
QUOTE(PlanB @ Oct 31 2008, 01:18 PM) *

What? I was there. How did I miss that?

For modellers and die-cast collectors, there are quite a few of the older style race car transporters being offered now, including the blue custom Mercedes above. The only problem is they cost quite a bit more than cars of the same scale. The weak dollar relative to the yen and euro has really driven up the cost of die-casts and specialty models.
r_towle
QUOTE(PlanB @ Oct 31 2008, 05:18 PM) *

I have thought about getting a bus...
Just have not found the right configuration....front engined diesel, shortbus, like that one pictured above.

A school bus is really tall to the floor.

I also dont want to blow all the money on fuel.
A rialta gets 20 MPG...

Rich
carr914
The Porsche tranporter now belongs to Brumos and is fully restored. While fully functional, they transport IT on a flat-bed. It's normally parked in the middle of the Brumos museum. And it was in the pits @ Rennsport

T.C.

Click to view attachment

carr914
QUOTE(Bill D @ Oct 31 2008, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 30 2008, 11:50 PM) *

I have a GMC motorhome. It has enough power to pull a 914 on a trailer. It would be a shame to have to gut one. You would loose all the RV stuff. There are some transmodes that come up for sale.

Click to view attachment

There is a GMC motorhome service center in Okeechobee, FL. There are usually 15 to 20 on the lot.

T.C.
GeorgeRud
I also have one, and love it! The aluminum and fiberglass construction is like that of an airplane, not a Winnebago! Torsion bar fronts and airbag rear suspension, very neat.

I would also use a Transmode (unfinished interior) model to convert into a toy carrier, not tear up a working model. Like the 914s, they seem to get better with age and can be easily updated. The internet GMCList seems to have quite a few old racers and airline pilots on the list, so I think they appeal to folks that like mechanically innovative vehicles.

Never thought these old transporters would be so neat these days, but I also remember seeing the Porsche transported at Daytona last year! There were also a few GMC motorhomes in the infield parking area.
Wes V
Quit thinking small and "in the box"!!

Find yourself a GM Futurliner.

Here is a photo of one at a drifting exhibit.

IPB Image

From what I understand, when doing a restoration, they have a lot of rust problems. A 914 owner should feel right at home.

There was one that belonged to an individual near me and he parked it on a side street. (true story, it wasn't the one in the photo, but a white one) The thing is MAJOR massive and he let me in it.

Wes
GeorgeRud
That's the beauty of the GMC Motorhomes, the only rust you have to worry about is on the frame since everything else is aluminum or fiberglass.

There is, however, the issue of pressed wood cabinetry that gets old and swells with water damage over the years, so the project does have it's unique challenges. The Futureliner is very neat, but maybe a bit too much for this boy to handle!
r_towle
gotta get back to reality.
Gas mileage would kill any of these ideas....they are what 6 mpg...lol

the Eurovan gets 20 when towing...
I dont want a trailer....that is the issue.
I have a trailer, I have a 4 door truck...

I want a dedicated and very cool, unique and funky old car hauler..
VW would be my initial choice, though the mercedes is very cool looking...looks like a challenge to build and drive...

If I go down the Eurovan path...the truck will take a 944 turbo motor...almost a bolt in...so that is attractive.
the dropping floor is quite cool.

OR...
A new school type 2 single cab with subaru drivetrain, real heat and AC...hmmm

I love the idea of a closed unit..for weather, a place to hang out at the event and a place to lock up the car at the hotel...

So, any pics of a smaller dedicated hauler would be great...

I like the idea of a stressed out maxed out suspension just under its total limit of weight...not a vehicle that could potentially haul 5 cars and still not be maxed out...

Mainly its a mileage issue and not a display of excess but a display of oddball creativity..
I need a hauler worthy of the teenster..bottom line.
Honestly if i could find a Cayenne cheap enough that was hammered in the rear end...I would do that in a second..

Rich
Wes V
A more realistic idea would be to find a crappy GM "chassis" camper for it's drivetrain, strip off the body, and then put an old COE (cab over engine) shell on it. Think an old Diamond Reo cab.

Wes
firstknight13
hey rich how do they tax you on one of those machines ?? if a car was mounted as a sort of ah... display so to speak wouldn't that be an ass..cessory and therefore not taxable. aktion035.gif biggrin.gif
carr914
1:43 model

T.C.

Click to view attachment
charliew
How about a vw bus just use the crew cab front, make the bed that lowers and run a flat 6 subie (na) with just two wheel drive. The 2wd applies more usable hp to the ground. The part that would drop down might be rear of the motor and tranny. It would just angle down in the back like a ramp. The crew cab would give a little more room. You could probably use air bags or cylinders instead of oil.
In the case of fwd maybe use a type three squareback without the rear compartment and use the subie 6 and fwd in the front trunk area. Add the bed to the rear extended frame with the drop down. Maybe even make it like a tiltbed trailer so the floor comes back level as the car goes up on the bed. Like boat or lawnmower trailers.
carr914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 31 2008, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(PlanB @ Oct 31 2008, 01:18 PM) *

What? I was there. How did I miss that?

Here is a shot from RennSportIII

Click to view attachment

And the history of it in pictures

Click to view attachment
Cevan
What about this.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.