Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's see that money on paper !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tronporsche
Please show us all of those years of saved and hard earned money you have put into your 914 ! Please remove all manuals or notes, and only leave in the receipts that are involved in your car now, yes, including oil, or trans. fluid, if you'd like. So, if you use your car cover, and the receipt is in the pack, leave it. I sold my re-built 2.0 , so I took out the receipts for that and the muffler, for example. I also sold the 73 parts car for my conversion, so any receipts that came with that car are VOID, unless, the parts are on my car now, like the re-built transmission that came with it, or the racing seats for example, leave those receipts if the parts are on your car now.......then, once you have cleared out your non-sense brochures or receipts, than measure with a ruler or measuring tape. Let's see who's got the biggest stack.

Click to view attachment

Looks pretty thick, but then....

Click to view attachment

it only measures out 1" !!!!!!! Approx. $30k spent(including 2.0 though, and conversion).
Gint
A couple of the posts put in the sandbox lately just don't make sense.

I'm moving this to the garage 'cause it's garage material. beerchug.gif

PS: Fixed your formatting.

And I quit saving receipts a long time ago. I want to do it, so the money gets spent. driving.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 30 2008, 08:44 PM) *

And I quit saving receipts a long time ago. I want to do it, so the money gets spent. driving.gif

I burn all mine...cant keep the evidence.

Rich
VaccaRabite
No evidence! I want to be able to continue my hobbies!

If anyone asks, I just say $10 grand.

Zach
carr914
Tron, I think I've got you beat. At least 2 inches here.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tronporsche
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 30 2008, 05:17 PM) *

Tron, I think I've got you beat. At least 2 inches here.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ha, Ha, take away those manilla folders though, and then measure !!
racerbvd
ARE YOU CRAZY, let the world know how much is in my teeners, my lady ever saw that she would hate it even more than she already does!!

Click to view attachment
tronporsche
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 30 2008, 04:44 PM) *

Thats cool. interestingly enough, I was going to put it in the garage, but the garage definition says "914 conversation" and the sandbox definition says the "adult playground"....which I thought maybe meant fun and games, 914 related or not, which I considered the measuring of a receipt record book to be, fun and games! But I guess that it must mean newdie, and an area to insult ,and do obscene talk only? confused24.gif I guess I'll just stay away from there, no problemo. Thank you for fixing my format.
tronporsche
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Oct 30 2008, 05:27 PM) *

ARE YOU CRAZY, let the world know how much is in my teeners, my lady ever saw that she would hate it even more than she already does!!

Click to view attachment
I admit, My wife didn't know exactly how much I put into the car everytime I did something to it, but our spouses have to have some kind of idea that it's not cheap !!!! Rite ??? laugh.gif
ConeDodger
Ha! You aren't married are you? Those receipts will never be seen publically. The pile is much higher than yours and involves am'84 911, '75 914, and a '73 240Z.

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 30 2008, 04:29 PM) *

Please show us all of those years of saved and hard earned money you have put into your 914 ! Please remove all manuals or notes, and only leave in the receipts that are involved in your car now, yes, including oil, or trans. fluid, if you'd like. So, if you use your car cover, and the receipt is in the pack, leave it. I sold my re-built 2.0 , so I took out the receipts for that and the muffler, for example. I also sold the 73 parts car for my conversion, so any receipts that came with that car are VOID, unless, the parts are on my car now, like the re-built transmission that came with it, or the racing seats for example, leave those receipts if the parts are on your car now.......then, once you have cleared out your non-sense brochures or receipts, than measure with a ruler or measuring tape. Let's see who's got the biggest stack.

looks pretty thick, but then....

it only measures out 1" !!!!!!! Approx. $30k spent(including 2.0 though, and conversion).

Gint
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 30 2008, 07:34 PM) *
Thats cool. interestingly enough, I was going to put it in the garage, but the garage definition says "914 conversation" and the sandbox definition says the "adult playground"....which I thought maybe meant fun and games, 914 related or not, which I considered the measuring of a receipt record book to be, fun and games! But I guess that it must mean newdie, and an area to insult ,and do obscene talk only? confused24.gif I guess I'll just stay away from there, no problemo. Thank you for fixing my format.

Thanks for pointing that out. We'll have to fix that. You'll have to tell me where you read that though, 'cause I'm not seeing it.

The intent for the garage is, always has been and should probably remain, stuff you'd stand around BS'ing about in your garage with your buddies. With the added stipulation that it should be rated PG-13. Because anyone, even guests not registered can view the garage. Stuff like Jim's 32 project thread should be in the garage also IMHO, and I'll get around to talking to him about moving that too.
tronporsche
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 30 2008, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 30 2008, 07:34 PM) *

Thanks for pointing that out. We'll have to fix that. You'll have to tell me where you read that though, 'cause I'm not seeing it.

The intent for the garage is, always has been and should probably remain, stuff you'd stand around BS'ing about in your garage with your buddies. With the added stipulation that it should be rated PG-13. Because anyone, even guests not registered can view the garage. Stuff like Jim's 32 project thread should be in the garage also IMHO, and I'll get around to talking to him about moving that too.
laugh.gif It seems that there has just been so much confusion with that sandbox every since the politics started up !!! Like I said, to make Life easier, I'll just post in the garage, unless it is for sale , than to to classified ! But one question, where do we put the off topic stuff at (non-914 related) ??
tronporsche
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 30 2008, 05:58 PM) *

Ha! You aren't married are you? Those receipts will never be seen publically. The pile is much higher than yours and involves am'84 911, '75 914, and a '73 240Z.

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 30 2008, 04:29 PM) *

looks pretty thick, but then....

laugh.gif You see, the trick is to finish the project BEFORE she gets any indication of how much money is ACTUALLY being put into it, and being the accountant at home doesn't hurt either !!! av-943.gif You see, Just because I spent $9.99 on a Porsche crest key fob and told her about it, doesn't mean I also spent $136 dollars on a Weltmeister short shift kit, and forgot to say anything about it !!! You've got to have game to get that teener done when you're married laugh.gif Now that the car is done, it doesn't matter how much money was spent on it, I just can't mention spending another dime on it !!!.....P.S.........the 911 is my friends I compare my widebody to, and the 73' is gone, but a 24 oz. of Beck's beer sounds real good rite about now !!! beer.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 30 2008, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 30 2008, 08:44 PM) *

I burn all mine...cant keep the evidence.

Rich

av-943.gif I hide mine so well that even I cant remember where they are b/c you dont want the mrs knowing what fuchs, engines, transmissions really cost... happy11.gif
racerbvd
piratenanner.gif Well, I do have the paper work, and anyone who has looked at my blog to see how I am building my GT clone can see why the paper work is locked, I have to laugh at some of the local loser PCA boxster leaser who think everyone should get a new car, when I already have more money spent in the GT than a new one cost. Will any of us ever see the money we put in, not likely, but I know there are others like me who will never part with their rides, ours is an investment of love, to build our dream cars, we can't put a price on our dreams, now can we. I did get a good laugh at the expense of a couple of my mother's friends, they know I have all this Porsche stuff stored around, they think of it as junk, but when I pulled up in a Trans Am GTA the other day, a pretty clean one, they were shocked to learn that I traded some of my Porsche Junk for it shades.gif

Now if I can just trade off some more cars & parts to finish my projects piratenanner.gif
Rand
Tronster, my man. You have dared to tread on sacred ground. You realize this thread is like an Indiana Jones adventure. Those who dare share their receipts...

I'm all about riding the adventure... But no pharaoh is going to see my receipts!!!!!!!!!!

May I suggest you just bury that pile. And bury it deeeep. Bury it NOWW!!!!!!
charliew
I'm not sure what people would think if they new how much the stuff in and around my shop cost. A 97 1 ton crew cab chevy flood truck I bought in 98 with 22k has never moved and I gave 11,500.00 for it. I've already sunk another 4k in it. What a flood car lesson. One day it will make a trailer hauler but right now a 3/4 surb. does fine. The 914 project is already at about 9k or more and I haven't turned a wrench on it. I'm too hard headed to let any of my projects go even when they are finished. It's getting to where I am having trouble affording good paint for all of them.
I buy insurance on 5 cars and my wife only drives one of them. I probably only drive about 7k total a year in all of them.

I hide the receipts for peace in the house.

I tell my wife at least I don't drink, gamble or smoke so she's lucky.

When someone asks me how many guns I have I just say not enough, it's the same with motor vehicles.
Zundfolge
My stack is in a folder about 1.5" thick ... however not all of them are mine. I bought the car from the second owner (who bought it from the original owner in 1972 ... mine's a '70).

So I have receipts going all the way back to the Nixon administration biggrin.gif
championgt1
My stack of reciepts is a little over 1 3/4 inches. The reciepts date all the way back to day one. I have only owned the car for a couple years so most of the reciepts are the from original owner. I have never added up the totals so not sure about the total $ value.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tronporsche
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 30 2008, 08:08 PM) *

Tronster, my man. You have dared to tread on sacred ground. You realize this thread is like an Indiana Jones adventure. Those who dare share their receipts...

I'm all about riding the adventure... But no pharaoh is going to see my receipts!!!!!!!!!!

May I suggest you just bury that pile. And bury it deeeep. Bury it NOWW!!!!!!
Rand my mand, Now that you have said Indiana Jones, I am humming the music as I write this. What stinks is that I never made it over to the liquor store to get my beer !!!........Anyhow, what's wrong with showing the receipt stack? If the ol' lady decided to walk, she knows not to play with the Porsche if she wants to live, and when she jokingly said she would key my car one day if I really pissed her off, not only did I explain that, that will end up in the consequenses of me spending more money on it, because now I have to get a new paint job, but I also told her in a serious way, that I will call the police and put her butt in jail. She wasn't laughing then ! The receipts stay in a secured place anyway !! laugh.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Oct 30 2008, 08:51 PM) *

My stack is in a folder about 1.5" thick ... however not all of them are mine. I bought the car from the second owner (who bought it from the original owner in 1972 ... mine's a '70).

So I have receipts going all the way back to the Nixon administration biggrin.gif
Those receipts count, they go to your car !! Have you ever added them up ? I wonder how many of them you can still read from not being faded out ?
tronporsche
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Oct 30 2008, 09:09 PM) *

My stack of reciepts is a little over 1 3/4 inches. The reciepts date all the way back to day one. I have only owned the car for a couple years so most of the reciepts are the from original owner. I have never added up the totals so not sure about the total $ value.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Pretty thicker, there doode !!! It would really be interesting to see what those receipts add up to. aktion035.gif

A lot of guys don't like to add up the receipts, here is something to think about.....the money is gone, so it doesn't make a difference what you have spent on it unless you are considering selling it. However, I found, that when I added up, and went through my receipts, it was fun, because it brought back memories of certain places I had to go to get certain items, some of the problems I had with certain vendors, some of the deals I found, price comparisons of stuff today, stuff that I brought and may not have actually needed, who to call if I need certain parts again, and a real reminder of what I went through over the course of 8 years, to get the car where it is today. Those reciepts that many are scared to look at, have the entire history of the car in them. It can also help you determine if you want to put anymore money into the car, from where you stand. For me, I had a look and feel that I wanted when the car was sitting on the drive way, not even running, from the begining, and was determined to finish the project, and nothing was going stop me. So for those of you who consider looking through your receipts, I think you should, they also show repairs that may have been done to your car, and then you know what you are really driving !!!
PeeGreen 914
I don't keep the receipts if I don't have to. Since I do all the work myself and get parts at cost most of the time why would I want to show that to a potential buyer? I know I have put a little over 30k into my car after buying it and that is all I need to know. Besides, all I need to do on the parts in my car is show anyone who is interested what the mods cost on websites and all is fine wink.gif

Who really needs the "I spent how much?" kind of wake up call anyway drunk.gif
72914S
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Oct 30 2008, 08:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The wife must never know.....not if I want to stay married.
TheCabinetmaker
none of your frigging business!
tod914
If I can quote Dr. Gonza from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.. Too much.. too much. You spent too much.
VaccaRabite
Haha. I can assure all of you busting out the tape measures.... You will never make back the totals on your recipt slips. Never total them, nothing good will come of it.

If you are buying to resell, you pack of receipts is slim. Very slim.

None of us with mulit year projsect are getrting out of ths in the black.

Somehting tells me this post should be int he late night drining thread.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif very true Zach
Todd Enlund
My view is... what else would I be driving with the money? A brand-spanking new Kia? A clapped-out Boxster?

Everything that I spend on my teener could have been a payment towards something else, either more expensive or less desirable.

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 31 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Haha. I can assure all of you busting out the tape measures.... You will never make back the totals on your recipt slips. Never total them, nothing good will come of it.

Zach

Joe Ricard
Don't keep them, Wouldn't matter anyway. and I don't get reciepts from things I buy here.
I know I am pushing 20K these days if you count race rubber.
computers4kids
You guys that have receipts laying around are playing with fire if you're married. blowup.gif I keep my $ tucked away in a password protected Excel spread sheet. Click to view attachment It's kinda scary when you see in "black and white" the money that goes into these cars. I think who ever our next president is should personally thank our club for doing our patriotic duty to stimulate the country's economy.
tronporsche
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 31 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Zach
I disagree Zack ! I think there are many teeners that can break even or make some profit. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and a lot of cars are "eye candy", and have the balls to back it up. Its like Todd enlund said, " What else would I spend all that money on". a lot of people have that viewpoint, and when it comes to buying cars, Its not so much how much it is worth or what they can buy with that amount of money, but "I buy what I want and what I like.". So Zach, you're a great guy, but speak for yourself laugh.gif !!!!!! (teasin)
Pat Garvey
I stopped fooling with reciepts 15 years ago. I have a whole filing cabinet drawer of records, receiots, etc, but no one has touched my car but me since then.

If I ever sell it, you'll have to trust me - and you should. It's maintained better than the book.

Don't need no more stinkin' paperwork taking up space.
Pat
tronporsche
Maybe I am just a young guy , with old school habits. What is the deal with so many people saying "I don't keep my receipts" ? I mean...If you buy appliances for the house, or a home theatre stereo, or a big screen T.v., you don't keep the receipts to that either ???? What about for your classic insurance policy, as back -up in case something were to happen to your car, you could prove the worth of the car by showing receipts ?????
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

There old 914 owners, and dumb 914 owners, But there are no old and dumb

914 Owners. The way I have made it to 70 yrs. old is " She who knows

everthing doesn't know this" . Keep reciepts in a black 3 ring binder. i have

another identical with articles and such ,i leave this out for her to find and read.

It has been around since 2001, as for paying for parts , bills went to the bussness.

now that I am retired that is a minor problem. Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.