Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everybodys favorite topic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F4i
Ok I have a virgin NOS stock cam for the teener. I bought it with a bunch of parts. With the parts came
these lifters. Are they new, reworked, f 'ed, or what? I cannot afford ceramic. So I have to decide what
to do. I have never seen new lifters so I have no comparison. Any and all help opinions etc. appreciated.
F4i
Must be monday. laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
It's hard to say without holding them and seeing them. The tops appear to be ok. But that is PURE speculation.

B
F4i
What do I look for? I assume any dishing would be a problem. Do new have the star pattern or is that the result of a re-work? Can old ones be reworked? Besides ceramic. what is out there for a stock new cam? As always thanks.
Brad Roberts
The lifter should actually have a slight crown to it if you place it on a piece of glass. Those appear to be reworked OE lifters (which is what our local guy's are doing without issue.)

We are either using re-worked stock ones or ceramic. We cant take the chance of failure.

B
F4i
Not many people can afford to have a failure. I know I can't. Thanks for the insight.
Brad Roberts
Rumor has it the Brazilian lifters are working fine also, but they are a tad heavier than the stock ones (which is fine for a stockish engine).

B
swood
ARRGGH!

This has been bothering me to no end particularly today. I finally decided that I can't afford to not afford the ceramics. I'm taking my Web lifters back and telling em to give me my dough back. I don't want to risk it. I'll just have to suck it up and buy the drop ins. And new pushrods.

there goes 5 and 1/2 bills.

headbang.gif headbang.gif
F4i
Do the guys with the ceramic lifters provide the pushrods as well? I feel your pain. I bought a vw porsche for the cheap to run/build vw engine. So far not too bad but as of late it seems you can't use new parts. I just finished sorting out my dist. drive gear. According to Jake the new ones are not too good. It's just as bad as airplanes. Should be getting better but it's getting worse. ISO is a joke as well. Lowest bidder is the bottem line.
swood
I think John@aircooled.net's HD AL or Chromoly PR's are the ticket, depending upon how wound up you get.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 9 2004, 11:06 PM)
Those appear to be reworked OE lifters (which is what our local guy's are doing without issue.)

When I was cleaning up the carport on Saturday (to find back the engine stand so I can actually start my teardown) I found a bag with a set of lifters in it. I wouldn't reuse them as-is, but I was already wondering if they were worth anything for reconditioning. Can you "recycle" lifters - kinda like laser printer cartridges?
Mark Henry
Dylan, I have the ceramic lifter buy in Canada going. It’s being pushed back to the end of February but it is a go. It would save you a couple of bucks and you don’t have to ship your case to the states, just Ontario.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ceramic+lifters

That said if it is a true NOS cam and lifter set it may be OK.

On checking the face of the lifter, just hold them face to face, hold them up to the light and they should be convex.
ThinAir
Bump.

Nobody answered my question about recycling lifters. I still wanna know. icon14.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Feb 11 2004, 04:13 PM)
Bump.

Nobody answered my question about recycling lifters. I still wanna know. icon14.gif

At this time I say NO!

Ceramics or get all your stuff from John at aircooled.net (Web) if you get your cam, lifters and pump from him he will come good for these parts if they go south.
ThinAir
I don't want to reuse them myself. Brad said something about his customers using reconditioned lifters and I want to know if there is anyone who takes these things before I throw them away. I know I keep too much stuff because "I might need it someday", but given the state of the lifter industry these days perhaps these are actually useful. Once they're gone, they're gone - kinda like cutting up a teener.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.