Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
can some one point to the post on how to fix the back window rubber? biggrin.gif
ericread
Be nice now...

It's called a "prophylactic". And only really desperate persons keep them in the back window.

Eric lol3.gif
southernmost914
Do you mean the rubber lower seal?,It's pretty much just a filler .

Steve
tod914
If you mean the rubber strip between the engine lid and window, you can remove the engine lid and slide the rubber out of the channel to replace it.
The window itself is held in with buytl tape. Should be a some threads on how
to replace that.
shoguneagle
The replacement of the seal between the engine lid and the rear window is as described above. The rear window itself is held in by butyl rubber (tape??) seal and I believe it rests on two small rubber strips at the bottom (proper positioning of window within the roll bar structure).

The replacement is fairly simple: remove the rear window carefully and clean thoroughly. Glue in the rubber strips and let dry. Run a strip of butyl rubber around the cockpit side of the roll bar to the rear side. Place the rear window carefully on the rubber strips with proper positioning without touching the butyl rubber. Start pressing on one side and go around the edges of the window working in both directions until the window is sealed with butyl rubber. Make sure the window is sealed tightly and let it alone for a while.

Probably the new type sealant the window shops use can be used in place of the butyl which is suppose to make a better safety seal. This is especally important in the windshield area. If the new sealant is used in the rear window, the procedure is probably the same with more care in placing the window in and sealing the entire unit. Once this sealant sets, it is hard to remove the window and has to be cut out with the proper cutter.

Just some thoughts since I will be sealing in the rear window in my car in the next few days. I will use the new type sealant.

Steve Hurt
tod914
Steve, when I did my 75, there is a new butyl tape that has a foam core that works well too. Although I would think with the sealants that you will be using, you'll never have to worry about it again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.