Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anything break on your car latley?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Crusin to work yesterday on I-83 into the construction areas. You know that spot where the new asphalt starts, its quite a bit higher, so they usually build up a little mini ramp. Well,... This particular spot did not seem to have that ramp, 65mph speed bump. WTF.gif

Any way BAM is the sound I here and everything seems fine. Stop for gas and check the oil level, sad.gif

The battery is lying sideways on top of the mps and fuel rail... The tray is still attached to the battery but no longer attached to the car, Car seems fine otherwise. But I will not drive it till I tack it back. I did not see any rust, Damn thing just gave up.

One more thing to fix

biggrin.gif
Gint
Damn! That's gonna leave a mark.

On mine? Just the driver. Nasty cold/flu/thing. Didn't even want to take the top off this week. Which sucked 'cause it's been 70+ all week.
MoveQik
Other than my motor making very loud tapping sounds and emitting plumes of oil smoke from the exhaust my car seems to be fine. Well, except for the large pool of oil below the car that has recently developed. sad.gif
Gint
WTF happened there?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 31 2008, 03:46 PM) *

Anything break on your car latley?

I spilled my Starbucks "Venti Caramel Macchiato" and now i have to clean up my cupholder ...
mad.gif Andy
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2008, 08:52 PM) *

I spilled my Starbucks "Venti Caramel Macchiato" and now i have to clean up my cupholder ...
mad.gif Andy

I got fingerprints on the window...I keep doing it and it pisses me off.
I close the door and after a few days the top corner of the window is all covered with my greasy finger marks....

Rich
jsayre914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 31 2008, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2008, 08:52 PM) *

mad.gif Andy

I got fingerprints on the window...I keep doing it and it pisses me off.
I close the door and after a few days the top corner of the window is all covered with my greasy finger marks....

Rich

blink.gif I cant tell when you guys are joking.....
jonferns
Everytime I hit a bump my radio knob falls off mad.gif
pete-stevers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2008, 05:52 PM) *

mad.gif Andy

YOU have a cup holder???
pete-stevers
something that pisses me off ...i had the engine out this winter for a respray of the engine comaprtment and to sort any leaks....but i didn't split the tranny and engine
that was the seal that was leaking the most...
and i get ornery when i can't shift
but i am to stubborn to give up
tod914
Mines been great, up on jack stands past month. Not one new problem.
orange914
took over a year to build our 2056, got it on the road piratenanner.gif for a few drives... broke a c.v. icon8.gif now it's sittin'...

soon? confused24.gif driving.gif
BMXerror
Did some modification to the shift linkage (pics here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...76333&st=75 ) and I was all anxious to get it off the stands and take her for a test drive. I hit the toggle switch for the starter and "click". F*$#!!! Long story short, the starter itself was dead. I went and got one of those $119 mini starters from eBay. Well, turns out the clearance issues that I was warned about were legitimate. I now have to machine an aluminum spacer to go in between the starter and the tranny (none of that washer shimming sh*t for me). No big deal. I reverse engineered it today and should be able to get it done Monday, but that's still another weekend that I'm not driving my car. mad.gif It never ends.
Mark D.
VaccaRabite
Stop over tomorrow and we will get that welded back in.
I'll be out Sunday, doing stuff with inlaws, but I have Saturday to work on cars. If you come over, we can check the area and make sure you don't have any other rust waiting to bust open your car. Too pretty for that.

Zach
championgt1
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 31 2008, 07:32 PM) *

Mines been great, up on jack stands past month. Not one new problem.

agree.gif 3 months, no new problems.
ericread
I drive mine to work every day, and yesterday morning, my driver-side inside door latch stopped working. At least it's not too far to reach through an open window to get to the outer door handle...

I guess I just need to add the door latch to the weekend's projects: front polybronze bearings, turbo tie-rods, replace lower steering column bearing, and replace the temporary 911 steering rack I installed a few months ago with my reconditioned 914 steering rack. Oh, and install a tight hose clamp on the rubber steering coupler (in order to minimize steering slop from the rubber coupler). Oops, I forgot to mention installation of the electrical washer fluid switch in the steering column.

And of coure next weekend, complete the clutch recondition (using the Auto Atlanta kit), install the new Bursch muffler and rear valence.

The rest of the month is scheduled in stripping the paint from the car and completing some minor body work as the paint shop is expecting me in late November.

Eric Read smile.gif

Type 4 Unleashed
Where to start, over about a month and a half every other week I had to keep adjusting up 2 opposing rockers, well I knew what was up, finally swapped out the motor, tore her down and found 2 lifters going flat.

Over the last 4 weeks, I have been cleaning this and prepping that as funds would allow, and getting close for re-assembly, yesterday after going over the 80mm crank and finding some pitting from air bubbles when the jrl's were welded up, I decided to have the crank turned under, well during the grinding process it was found 2 of the 4 jrl's had cracks going from the oil hole to the jrl radius, so the crank is junk. I have a spare crank & flywheel prepped sitting on the shelf, but it's only a 75mm stroke and due to low funds right now it's a cheap option.

So today I was getting some prep work done to a case, and basically the case turns out to be junk. And the sad part, the case was bushed for Type 1 lifters.

I have another case but it needs to be fully checked out, cleaned, line bore checked, holes tapped, cyl spigots opened up, then cleaned again for assembly, basically just everything that was just done to the junk case. It's just more time & money, so maybe next week for the case work ?

Most of the time motors go together with out a single issue they almost fall together by them selves, then on an occasion you get the Domino Effect's build.

Going back and really thinking about it, it could of been greasy finger prints on the jrl's that caused them to crack ?

And if I had cleaned the stains from my Starbucks Triple off the 2 lifters they probably wouldn't have gone flat.

And if I hadn't had my radio to loud the resonating sound waves wouldn't of damaged the case.

So is this enough breakage for everyone ? ... av-943.gif

dw914er
drove it today. Its dusty as hell. I know my shocks and tires are going out, so whenever I get some money Ill fix those. I do know I need a tune up, etc soon too.

Hopefully nothing actually breaks
Ericv1
I noticed a vibrating sound from the rear window when I go over bumps. It sounds like I'll have to seal it up. And, my rear suspension console needs to be replaced. But, that will have to wait.
Tom
Left rear tire has a slow leak. As soon as I get it on the winter jackstands, this will not be a problem anymore till spring. biggrin.gif
Tom
sww914
Rear window rattles like crazy over every bump. My fresh duct tape windshield molding came off. I'm waiting to fix the loose glass until after I paint it. I have the paint, I just don't have the time.
My clutch cable tube broke at the firewall, I fixed it and the car shifts a hell of a lot better when the clutch fully disengages. smile.gif
My door buzzer only works after I take the key out, I gotta find that little POS and pull it out or shoot it with a .45. Either way, I'll be happy to never hear it's anemic whine ever again.
Gint
Now that you mention it... that stupid tape along the bottom of ny rear window is loose. It buzzes when the wind buffets it. Driving me bonkers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 31 2008, 06:19 PM) *

YOU have a cup holder???

Two actually. I got one of them generic center trays from FLAPS with two cup holders. Fits perfectly between the stock seats.

It's a must for any road trip, and i have done two of those since i got that little bump in displacement ...
smile.gif Andy
Root_Werks
Never driven the one I have yet. Give me some time, I'll break plenty on it. biggrin.gif
dlee6204
You don't have to drive one to have something go wrong. This is what I came home to the other day... It left a nice little dent in the dentless fender.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mountain914
October 26th, nice drive in the mountains, figured last drive before tucking it away for the winter. Driving up a hill and it starts cutting out huh.gif and dies.
Pull it over and thinking dead fuel pump. Call AAA and have it towed (the ultimate embarassment) and I'll just worry about it in the spring. (sigh).
jsayre914
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Nov 2 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Call AAA and have it towed (the ultimate embarassment)

Dont be embarassed...

My last 914 did not have a fuel guage, one morning I was driving tward the gas station to fuel up and sure as shit died 9 blocks or so from the station, 5 min drive or 20 min walk back to the house to get the can and 45 min walk to station plus 25 min walk back to car. I decided to call AAA and they gave me a 5 min piggy back to drop me at the pump. hide.gif
PlaysWithCars
Well, let's see... here's the saga with the new car.

Transmission was noisy but functional except for the occasional clunk when coasting. Decided to change the oil and run it until it died. When draining the oil I heard "clink, clunk" as pieces fell out into the drain pan. Big roller bearings. Okay, guess that transmission is done.

Put a good used transmission in the car and took it to the local PCA autocross to shake down other issues. Broke a transmission mount which broke the ear off of the "new" transmission and tore one of the oil lines going to the oil tank. Hmmm so far the car isn't living up to expectations.

Keeping a stiff upper lip though I tore down the original transmission and took off the rear housing to put on the "new" transmission. While the car was down waiting for gaskets I tore into the dash to figure out why none of the idiot lights or tach were working. Still don't know why the tack isn't working but found all of the idiot lights were disconnected. Looks like the PO had an aftermarket gauge package installed at one point and bypassed the idiot lights but the gauges are no longer in the car so it seemed prudent to hook up the idiot lights again.

Okay, fast forward 2 weeks: idiot lights hooked up, rear transmission cover replaced, new transmission mounts installed, new oil line installed, ready for a test drive. Start up the car and the newly hooked up oil pressure idiot light is flickering on and off at idle, raise the RPM and it goes off. Once the car is warm though the light stays off. Head scratcher, backwards from normal. Usually its when the motor is warm that you get low oil pressure at idle.

Fast forward 2 more weeks: installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make sure the problem is real and not just a faulty sending unit. Yep, its real. Condition is degrading too. Started the car yesterday, no oil pressure for 5 secs, then built up to 70psi at idle for 15 sec, then dropped to zero. Shut down and restarted multiple times, no oil pressure.

Grrr... headbang.gif

I guess the old addage is true: buyer beware.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 31 2008, 05:44 PM) *

WTF happened there?

Don't know yet. I am too disgruntled to find out.

As I turned on to my cul-de-sac coming home from RRC I heard a sudden & loud tapping noise from the engine. I looked back and saw a boat load of smoke coming from the exhaust. I tapped the gas enough to get up the curb and shut it down. I haven't started it since. Now, my once dry as a bone underside is also covered in oil and the garage floor has about 2 quarts neatly spread all over it. dry.gif

I'll have it back on the road for Route 66. That is my goal. Who knows....maybe it'll be a 3.4 by then. biggrin.gif
jsayre914
smash.gif I declare this thread will never die happy11.gif

Driving home last night, i got up to speed on the freeway, just about 4200 rpm and i hear...

BAM !@

The rain + speed + 30years = the bueatiful metal trim around the top/ side windshield frame blows off the car into the dark night. sad.gif

it smacked the roof really hard just befor it flew away.

a moment of silence for the missing part.

i will have a brief search party on the way home tonight.
derekdenman
My 914 has become my primary driver again because my Toyota Corolla brokeā€¦ If that counts.

Toyota has 312K on it and the igniter within the distributor stopped working. I have to replace the whole distributor to fix it and that is a cool $300. I only paid $500 for the car.

On top of that it broke down in Downtown (southeast) Dallas, which is a very rough area, at 2 am last Thursday.

Then the next day I found out that I had gotten evicted because my roommate took my rent money and skipped town.

The plus side is that now I have a perfect excuse to drive the 914 every day.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 4 2009, 03:40 PM) *

The rain + speed + 30years = the bueatiful metal trim around the top/ side windshield frame blows off the car into the dark night. sad.gif

it smacked the roof really hard just befor it flew away.

a moment of silence for the missing part.

i will have a brief search party on the way home tonight.

My old trim is in the garage somewhere. Yours if you want it. Has to be in better shape then yours after taking flying lessons.

Okay, fast forward 2 weeks: idiot lights hooked up, rear transmission cover replaced, new transmission mounts installed, new oil line installed, ready for a test drive. Start up the car and the newly hooked up oil pressure idiot light is flickering on and off at idle, raise the RPM and it goes off. Once the car is warm though the light stays off. Head scratcher, backwards from normal. Usually its when the motor is warm that you get low oil pressure at idle.

Fast forward 2 more weeks: installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make sure the problem is real and not just a faulty sending unit. Yep, its real. Condition is degrading too. Started the car yesterday, no oil pressure for 5 secs, then built up to 70psi at idle for 15 sec, then dropped to zero. Shut down and restarted multiple times, no oil pressure.

What was your problem? My car has the exact same symptoms.

Zach

jsayre914
update:

Fixed all transmission problems (thanks Evil) and the exhaust wont go back on, one stud dropped out of the head and left a crater the size of the moon. po filled the void with some kinda putty. Now have to pull the head, meanwhile the passenger side shoulder bolt gave up last night, i got a kit from j-west (i think) and replaced the driver side few months back. The entire pivot on the passenger side was no longer connected to the car.

And then to top it off.... while i was drilling the jwest trunk hinge, i placed the corded drill on top of the car for a second, only to trip on the cord and have it wack the top of the passenger door with the drill bit. sad.gif

one more ding

This thread will continue F O R E V E R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.