Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Question on heater controls
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
So basically I don't know what to make of this. The heater/ac controls on my wife's jeep work in a half assed fashion. The temp selector works, and the position selector works, but not the speed selector. The fan will only blow air on 4; but 1-3 there's absolutely nothing.

So I thought maybe I just need to replace the control console. Well you bet- only $135 for a brand new one. So I tell the dealer I'll get back to him and instead I call around to the local salvage yards... there's only one in town that has one available. So I go out and pick it up; but the guy warns me that all purchases are final. There's no returning or warranty of any kind on the purchase. Well, for $100 less than what they wanted for a new one, I couldn't really bitch; so I buy it anyway.

Get home, wait for the wife to get home and tear apart the dash. Luckily it's not that complicated- just pop off the cover trim and remove a few screws to pull loose the control console. But before I get too far into the switch, I hook up the plug that runs the speed selector [to the new control console], and you betcha- this control console doesn't work either. Well, what could I really expect from a salvage yard to begin with, right? idea.gif

So I've come to the conclusion that either this was a common problem for heat/ac control consoles on jeeps of that era; or, since 2 different consoles aren't working, it's a wiring issue. My personal opinion is wiring issue, but since I couldn't return the salvaged console, I decided to disect it and see what makes 'er tick. It's pretty basic- just a copper plate with circuits punched out of it (similar to the relay boards on our teeners), and the speed selector is just a copper disc attached to the knob that contacts different circuits as it's rotated. So, given that the console is as about as basic as you can get, I'm thinking more that it's a wiring issue.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts on what could be going on? Kinda need to get it sorted out with winter right around the corner here....

Thanks! beer.gif
dlee6204
I've had this problem before on a Jeep and on another vehicle. There should be a "blower motor resistor" and when it goes bad, the blower will only run on high. I would check into that first.
736conver
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 1 2008, 02:11 AM) *

I've had this problem before on a Jeep and on another vehicle. There should be a "blower motor resistor" and when it goes bad, the blower will only run on high. I would check into that first.

I concur. I have a Durango that the resistor just went out on. simple unplug old one plug in new one. Works like a charm about $50 through the dealer. Rumor has it our Mopars dont like it when you run them on any speeds lower then the top speed. You should hop on one of the mopar forums for more info. They are not as cool as this forum but alot more jeep owners to help you with your problem.
Gint
Not much help, but I've had several Cherokees and never had an issue with the fan blower switch.
dbgriffith75
Thanks guys- I'll check into that resistor ASAP- I'm more convinced that may be the problem since two of you had the same problem.

As for the mopar forums, I actually signed up for one a week ago and posted the problem- 57 views and nobody is yet to offer any suggestions. It was even a forum specifically for jeep cherokees. *shrugs* Oh well, we'll see how the resistor issue works out and go from there.

Thanks again!
TheCabinetmaker
One of my employees has fought this exact thing on his TJ. Turns out the switch itself burned up and melted inside. Resistor was intact.
dbgriffith75
Well I don't have 100% confirmation yet, but I'm thinking the resistor is the problem. I got it pulled out today and it's nicely corroded on some of the connections.

Been calling around all day but nobody has them in stock. So I just had to order one. I'll find out for sure if that's the problem once I get the new one installed.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.