Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: back fire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
can any one till me what do I need to check?When am driving and am ready to go to the next gear as soon as I let off the gas I get a pop.pop sound confused24.gif
1973 1.7
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 1 2008, 01:18 AM) *

can any one till me what do I need to check?When am driving and am ready to go to the next gear as soon as I let off the gas I get a pop.pop sound confused24.gif
1973 1.7

Carbs or FI ?

A tight int valve could cause it, an air leak causing it to run lean, too much fuel.

A few things to check out first to rule them out.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 1 2008, 05:18 AM) *

1973 1.7

find and fix your exhaust leak.
TheCabinetmaker
Rich said it right. Exhaust leak.
ellisor3
It is funny, I am having the same problem right now. My car was tuned in Atlanta with no problems, when it got to florida, it started backfiring. I spoke to Sean at Auto Atlanta on Fri, and he told me that if it is backfiring out of the muffler, it is running to rich, to much gas. If it is backfiring back inside the engine, like a pop, it is running to lean, not enough gas. He thinks in my case it has something to do with the elevation change. I will be tinkering with mine today. This is of couse assuming that you do not have an exhaust leak. Thak must be fixed first, if you have one.

James
oldschool
QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Nov 1 2008, 02:45 AM) *

1973 1.7

Carbs or FI ?

A tight int valve could cause it, an air leak causing it to run lean, too much fuel.

yes its fi/I will check for a exhaust leak
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 1 2008, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Nov 1 2008, 02:45 AM) *

1973 1.7

Carbs or FI ?

yes its fi/I will check for a exhaust leak

An easy way to check for a leak is to use a rag so your hand doesn't get dirty, and if you have a single outlet exh, just cover it up, if the exh is sealed, it will run for a few seconds then die, if it's not sealed it will continue to run since the exh is getting out. It's like the old potato trick, that people useta do, stuff a potato in the tail pipe, and the car won't even start... av-943.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.