Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Selector Rod Bracket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Starting to replace the shifter selector rod seal , o-ring, etc. and when I remove the mounting bracket from the tranny, I found remnants of a paper gasket where the bracket meets the case behind the 2 nuts. I don't see this gasket on any parts diagram nor in the PP how to do it.

Anybody know the part # and who has it??

Paul

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I made my own with a liquid gasket product ...
bye1.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
The gasket is for tail shifter trannies ONLY. Using it on side shifter trannies will alter the depth of the selector fork, and may cause shifting problems. Use a new o-ring, lightly oiled, and NO sealant. The Cap'n
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2008, 06:33 PM) *

The gasket is for tail shifter trannies ONLY. Using it on side shifter trannies will alter the depth of the selector fork, and may cause shifting problems. Use a new o-ring, lightly oiled, and NO sealant. The Cap'n

Ok, I'm confused. My car is a '74 with a side shifter. If the gasket is for tail shifters ONLY, why is it on my side shifter?? A PO, perhaps by mistake?? So I should just scrape the gasket remnants off & use no gasket??

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Nov 1 2008, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2008, 06:33 PM) *

Ok, I'm confused. My car is a '74 with a side shifter. If the gasket is for tail shifters ONLY, why is it on my side shifter?? A PO, perhaps by mistake?? So I should just scrape the gasket remnants off & use no gasket??

Paul

Yup. No accounting for what POs do. Or their wrenches, either. The Cap'n

Dr Evil
The plug that goes there on the tail shifter is the same shape as the side shifter console. The paper seal comes in the rebuild kit and if a person doesnt know any better they will assume it is needed on the side shifter. Nope.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.