Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Concept R - yup the 914 is back!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
more like 'VW builds a Boxster' ...

Porsche Boxster's sales are falling off bigtime, VW -might- introduce a car of similar configuration and performance to fill the void. Or they might decide that everyone that wants a $50,000 midengine roadster already has one...

but it's clear VW has great aspirations - they've made a frontal assault on Mercedes with the Phaeton, and you've got the *really* want the $30,000 nameplate to buy a Cayenne instead of a Touareg ...

but since none of those guys are calling me on the phone asking advice - WTFDIK ?
Joe Ricard
I want mine with all the delete options. Like the 914 simple clean functional, no added gadgets to clutter things up. Like the RS america 911. be sure to delete the rust this time. boldblue.gif

I want it I want it I want it with a W motor.
rhodyguy
ugly. what's with the pulsing vw badge idea? fixed seats with adjustable wheel and pedals? good, another car i wouldn't want and money saved.

kevin
seanery
Kevin's posts are always so happy!
rick 918-S
Very nice looking car. Too bad they over engineered the thing with the moving dash and peddles. Just give us a stripped down car that is a powerful mid-engined two seater and handles like it's on rails. Oh....I have one....nevermind wacko.gif
DNHunt
Problem is they have to try to sell this in a market that is pretty unsophisicated. There aren't that many of us that want a simple car that is light. We are willing to put up with noise and rough ride, heck we even enjoy it. To the automakers we are a fringe element.

I don't think you'll ever see a car like the 914 again. They'll all be Boxster clones.

Hang on to the ones you have cause there wo't be any more.

Dave
F4i
They did it with the miata. However they also quickly priced it out of that market with "improvments"
Rick_Eberle
Hey, has anyone seen this thing? I think I'm in love!

http://www.yes-clubsport.de/

Rick
kafermeister
I can't decide if it's looks more Boxster or Audi TT to me. ...it's calling my name nevertheless.

Rick
Rick_Eberle
I was thinking a cross between a TT and an Elise.

Rick
Dave_Darling
The articles on the VW don't mention the weight, but I thought I recalled reading somewhere that the sucker weighed in at something like 3400 lbs. A far cry from the 1000 kg (~2200 lbs) that was mentioned when the drawings first showed up.

Way too freaking heavy!! :cry:

--DD
Air_Cooled_Nut
IPB Image
I dunnooooo....I kinda like it! smile.gif

Will we ever get a car like our beloved 914? I think never. Emissions, safety standards, creature comforts, and whiz-bang 'features' all stand in the way of the enthusiast because we are the minority in the consumer world. So if we want a modern car we'll just have to modify what we get -- well, that's probably a given wink.gif

I say reduce the weight and complexity and make the seats manually adjustable, not the pedals and steering/gauge pod. Although, if the steering and pedals are independantly adjustable I honestly could see the advantage of it. I have several friends who have short legs but long arms and torso. I've got long legs and arms, short torso...I like it, I fit into sports cars quite nicely smile.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
I know what you guys are saying about ruining a car with improvements. The US spec Lotus Elise is still very impressive with a great power to weight ratio but why, why, oh why do the have to make A/C and Power Windows standard for the US market!?! I live in Phoenix and I pulled the A/C off the 914 and have thought many times about putting my Boxster on a diet. I was seriously close to putting a deposit down on an Elise last year but power windows and A/C!!! WTF?

Just so Lotus know there is one guy here in teh US that does not want power windows, A/C, or any other weight adding "improvements".

I guess that is why we all keep our teeners. Function, handling, comfort without all the weighty luxury add ons.
zehrschnell914
No targa top? No basket handle? I'll keep the 914. I agree with the "Keep it simple" idea. I do like the Yes! roadster though. Zehr gut!
Qarl
Lotus will soon be offering factory delete options on the Elise.

The power window setup actually weights less than the manual window mechanisms.

A/C isn't so bad when there is 100% humidity outside and it's 100 degrees.
Steve Thacker
That is a beautiful piece of art. I love all the V-Dub stuff
scotty
Rick, that is a car! I'll take a light blur clubsport...make that two!

If only I could get it past DOT...

I wonder if they'd sell kits like Lotus did for the 7?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.