Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Trivia Quiz from JWest Eng.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JWest
Another quiz!

I will let the thread go for 2 days. Everybody guess (yes, you can put the same thing as someone else if you think they are right).

One winner will be randomly chosen from all the correct guesses and gets a voucher for $10 off an order of $20 or more from JWest Engineering. smilie_pokal.gif

The only correct answer will be the one I'm thinking of, even if you come up with something else that is a good response.

OK, you guys moaned that I did not give you a perfect picture with the answer highlighted and circled last time. So this time no picture. tongue.gif

The question:
I have an early '73 914. The driver's door got bashed in an SUV encounter. My buddie's '75 parts car has a good door, but there is something different about it (it would work but I don't want to use it).

Brad has a '71 door shell, but he tells me that it will not be a direct bolt-in.

*Tell me (2 answers) what is different about the other doors*

Extra bonus (just to show off, you don't get anything extra) tell me the proper interchange for my door.
ArtechnikA
1) side impact door beam.
2) window regulator.

interchange: carbon fiber skin - that car ought to be on the track anyway.
EXACTLY what he said! Except the carbon fiber thing - 914 owners are notoriously cheap and would go with fiberglass rolleyes.gif
mike_the_man
agree.gif

Side impact beam on the 75
Window regulator on the 71

Maybe stating the obvious, but wouldn't the proper interchange be another door form a 73? I think a 74 door would work, too. But what do I know.
Qarl
Easy... side impact reinfordements and different window winder mechanisms. Also the door channel end caps are different.

The later door is also heavier.

The earlier door is probably more rusty
Dave_Darling
The 75 door is heavier, due to the side-impact beam that was added in mid-73. The vinyl pattern is different as well (as are the window cranks), but those are trivial to swap.

The 71 is not a bolt-in, because (among other things) the door glass is different and it will not fit the later style roof seals.

If you need to have a bolt-on part that is light, then you need the early-73 door. sad.gif You can also modify a later door, but that is hardly a bolt-in at that point.

--DD
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 10 2004, 10:43 AM)
The 75 door is heavier, due to the side-impact beam that was added in mid-73. The vinyl pattern is different as well (as are the window cranks), but those are trivial to swap.

The 71 is not a bolt-in, because (among other things) the door glass is different and it will not fit the later style roof seals.

If you need to have a bolt-on part that is light, then you need the early-73 door. sad.gif You can also modify a later door, but that is hardly a bolt-in at that point.

--DD

laugh.gif uh... took the words right out of my mouth! agree.gif
URY914
I'm making a fiberglass door skin for one of our members using my mold. If there is anyone else out there that wants to save some weight, PM me.

BTW, mine are lighter than early or late doors. smile.gif

Paul
markb
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 10 2004, 09:43 AM)
The 75 door is heavier, due to the side-impact beam that was added in mid-73.  The vinyl pattern is different as well (as are the window cranks), but those are trivial to swap.

If you need to have a bolt-on part that is light, then you need the early-73 door.  :(  You can also modify a later door, but that is hardly a bolt-in at that point.

--DD

agree.gif

Wouldn't the early 73 have the newer regulators without the side impact beam?
Dave_Darling
Only the early 73s. They added the beam in mid-year some time.

--DD
bernbomb914
I like what D.D. said.

Bernie
JWest
OK, I finally got around to finishing this.

We had 8 correct answers. In '73 the window regulator was changed from the bug "cable in a tube" style to the 911 gear style. Then in mid '73 the door beams were added. The bonus answer was that if you have an early '73, the correct door was only made for the first half of '73 production.

I randomly drew from the correct answers and acox914 is the winner! smilie_pokal.gif
FlatSix
You all missed the real problem...

The doors were different colours wink.gif (sp. colors in US English)

Andy
Aaron Cox
hey! thanks! ive been gone for a while! just saw the PM james. thanks a bunch.

im saving for a rennshifter sometime in a few years....
so id offer my discount to someone who needs it, if thats ok.

Thanks again! wink.gif
is it first post first serve? I will take it! I need a proportioning valve and would like to check this one out. Promise to report on fit/finish/effectiveness and show install pics....

Bill
JWest
It's fine with me! Just pass along the voucher number.
jridder
Thanks for the poll. Now I know that I have an early '73 drivers side door on my car (haven't opened up the panel on the passenger side yet). I was wondering why I had the late style mechanism but no door beams.

Jonathan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.