Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs. Late Drain Gutter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jonferns
I recently replaced the front drain gutter on my '74 with one that I saved from a '70 that I cut up. The section I replaced was the cowl piece. Upon welding it on, I noticed that the early one is noticeably shorter in height that the later one. The car that I cut the drain from was VIN 4702902918. Anyone ever notice this before? When in the later years did the change take place?

Not the greatest pic, but you can see the height difference. Pay no attention to the crappy welds smile.gif

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Nov 2 2008, 10:31 AM) *

I recently replaced the front drain gutter on my '74 with one that I saved from a '70 that I cut up. The section I replaced was the cowl piece. Upon welding it on, I noticed that the early one is noticeably shorter in height that the later one. The car that I cut the drain from was VIN 4702902918. Anyone ever notice this before? When in the later years did the change take place?

Not the greatest pic, but you can see the height difference. Pay no attention to the crappy welds smile.gif

IPB Image

Happy that you posted this here!

I "assumed" that these panels were the same through the life of the 914. Never looked at them closely. Could it have been from a redesign of weatherstripping?
Pat
jonferns
I can take height measurements of the early and late gutter tomorrow; might be useful.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Nov 3 2008, 07:58 PM) *

I can take height measurements of the early and late gutter tomorrow; might be useful.

Um, yea! Could be invaluable! Post 'em please. BTW, that IS some ugly welding, though better than I can do!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.