Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put my 76 on a fiberglass bumper diet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I have always liked the clean simple look of the early cars and I definitely appreciate the lighter weight. I went with the fiberglass bumpers with the rubber tops molded in. You would not believe what the 75/76 bumpers and hardware weigh! I weighed everything and it came in at exactly 100lbs. The bumpers I'm bolting back on weigh 5 lbs a piece. idea.gif That ought to make my car a bit more nimble...don't ya think? confused24.gif aktion035.gif

Bill
RJMII
100lbs!?!?!

WOW! I think I might follow that example. dang, that looks good, too!
VaccaRabite
Yeah. they weigh a ton. I like the way they look, which is why I am triyng to get mine lighter. But, in the back of my mind, I am still just thinking of getting the FG bumpers and being done with it.

Bill, where did you get yours? How was the fit and finish?

Zach
Eric_Shea
90lbs of weight savings will be amazing.

Is that Rennspeed stuff?
rick 918-S
Nice. smile.gif
wbergtho

I bought them from the place that makes all the AIR stuff (not far from Upland, CA). My friend Randy Beck knows every connection in CA and I asked him if he could get me a good deal on a pair of FG bumpers. He made one call and they were ready by the door the next morning. We picked them up on the way to Willow Springs. I could call Randy and get further info for you on their name & address. You sunny Southern CA guys could probably just pop by the place and ask for the same deal ($150 each). I'm pretty sure the Beck connection shaved a bit of $ off the set...but I'm positive you could smooth talk them if you dropped by the place (or had a friend do so for you).

The fit & finish was pretty nice. I had to die grind a bit of excess FG off in a few areas on both bumpers....but i'm talking about 5-10 minutes worth of work. The brackets that come on the backside lined up real nice with the contour of the front & rear panels. If I had to do it all over again...I'd say they are nice pieces and I'd buy from these guys again.

Question,

I'm not sure I want to spray these gloss black. I'm thinking a satin finish might be a better option. Any guys out there have an opinion on exactly what type of black I should spray them?... What finish was on the side rockers and valances from the factory. Perhaps my tendency to go satin is because I've never seen a clean painted bumper...maybe they should be gloss...not sure. I was thinking for a minute about painting the whole bumper & tops in Signal Orange...but it might start looking like the great pumpkin. Any thoughts on all this?

Bill
r_towle
Look at the Wurth rattle can satin black...its the close match aside from custom mixing paint...

Rich
wbergtho
Yeah. they weigh a ton. I like the way they look, which is why I am triyng to get mine lighter. But, in the back of my mind, I am still just thinking of getting the FG bumpers and being done with it.

Maybe you can take a mold of the inner steel structure and then recreate what you need in FB. Then wrap the rubber cover over the FB structure and Poof...say goodbye to all that weight and say hello to no more protection. I saw your other thread and I agree, even though the 75/76 bumpers may offer a bit more protection...I'm betting it isn't worth much after about 7-10mph....then everything gets all fangled up anyways. Let's face it, these cars were not meant to crash into anything heavier than a bicycle or a skateboard! biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 2 2008, 01:20 PM) *

Zach

Take a look at it like this Zach.
Gut the shocks, tack weld them at the correct length.
Drill the shock bracket with wieght savings holes.
Drill the inner bumper with ALOT of weight savings holes..

Rich
wbergtho
Look at the Wurth rattle can satin black...its the close match aside from custom mixing paint...

Rich

So is my memory correct when I think these pieces were more of a satin finish than a glossy black finish?

Thanks,

Bill
carr914
The last set of F/G bumpers I had I painted what would be the bumper-tops Satin Black and the lower part body color.

T.C.
wbergtho
The last set of F/G bumpers I had I painted what would be the bumper-tops Satin Black and the lower part body color.

I think that is a good idea too and I just might do it this way. Thanks!
JRust
I agree I like the bumper top area painted black with the rest painted body color. The whole bumper body color just doesn't look that great IMHO. I like it being broken up a bit with the black. Helps bring out the lines of the car more. Maybe that is why I am not a fan of the 916 fb bumpers. I've considered going with these on my v8 car. I'd really like to see a front with the valance encorporated with it. One that would still have the stock look but not the 916 look idea.gif
wbergtho
I'd really like to see a front with the valance encorporated with it. One that would still have the stock look but not the 916 look

That would be cool. Nice valances are hard to come by these days! Have you seen the whole bumper w/ spoiler made out of CF by one of our elite craftsmen on this site? Simply awesome!!
carr914
Bill, here is a picture of one of my former cars - the one with the F/G bumper painted black & body color.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Nov 2 2008, 05:55 PM) *

I'd really like to see a front with the valance encorporated with it. One that would still have the stock look but not the 916 look

That would be cool. Nice valances are hard to come by these days! Have you seen the whole bumper w/ spoiler made out of CF by one of our elite craftsmen on this site? Simply awesome!!

I haven't seen it but would love too. Anyone got a link to it?
Zundfolge
Not only are they a lot lighter, the weight you removed is way outside the wheel base, so you should notice a real difference in handling as well.

Think rotating mass in the curves.
zymurgist
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Nov 2 2008, 06:16 PM) *

[I was thinking for a minute about painting the whole bumper & tops in Signal Orange...but it might start looking like the great pumpkin. Any thoughts on all this?

Great pumpkins rule! smile.gif

IPB Image
MartyYeoman
Did you have to remove the front rubber side clips or did the new bumpers conceal them?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 2 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Rich

There is also a trim black that looks really nice as well. I think most FLAPS carry it.
byndbad914
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 3 2008, 02:08 PM) *

I haven't seen it but would love too. Anyone got a link to it?

search around for "groot", Kevin was making a 1pc CF front section that looked pretty cool and I suspect that is what Bill is talking about. Probably in the Paddock area BTW as he is a racer.
Bleyseng
I like the painted OEM look... piratenanner.gif
wbergtho
Did you have to remove the front rubber side clips or did the new bumpers conceal them?

Hey Marty,

I tried to fit the FG bumpers onto the front & rear w/out removing the clips and they wouldn't fit properly...so I surgically removed them. Afterwards, they fit very nicely. Removal of the sheetmetal clips reduced the overall weight by a further 5-6 ounces...so I'm pretty confident I'll "feel the difference". laugh.gif av-943.gif

Bill
Justinp71
I did the same thing!

Best mod I ever did... aktion035.gif

I should re-weigh my car...
johannes
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 3 2008, 05:35 PM) *

I saw a car with FG bumpers painted like that. Satin black for the rubber part and metallic grey for the metal part. I looked 10 minutes at the car and didn't notice anything before the owner told me they were FG bumpers.

You can also try that http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_show1.htm + satin black ...

wink.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 3 2008, 05:35 PM) *

That is a very nice look`n machine smilie_pokal.gif
wbergtho
I like the painted OEM look...

I'm sold on this look. Thanks for sharing. BTW, is that a metalic grey or a silver? Looks very good! piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.