Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot engine didn't restart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaybird
This was a first for me on this car. 74 2.0 (Ferg's old Signal Orange car) - went for a ten minute ride today, got the engine temp up to operating numbers - stopped at a friends house and shut down the engine for about 6 minutes or so. And when I went to start her back up there was no fire - plenty of cranking going on, but just would not start.

Had the car towed back to my house, and after sitting in 55 degree outdoor temps for about 2 hours, started immediately back up with full vigor. WTF.gif

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that the fuel wasn't getting delivered - vapor lock?? Just cranked her back up again and went for a spin and ran flawlessly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Jay
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jaybird @ Nov 2 2008, 01:01 PM) *

vapor lock??

No. Not after a 10 minute drive in 55 degree weather.

Try 1 hour+ drive in 110 degree weather and you *might* get vapor lock. Although i have actually never seen it myself.

Gotta be something else ...
idea.gif Andy
orcadigital
Fuel pump not shutting off or return line blocked causing it to flood the cylinders? Could also be something silly like a loose coil wire or something?
KELTY360
Check the wiring connections on the starter/solenoid.
r_towle
Check the fuel pressure when cold and again when hot...
Mine was low fuel pressure when hot...
Also I found that by removing the Decel Valve this issue almost went away...

Lastly re-grease your distributor advance plates...they get hot and stuck in full advance and then it wont start...the grease has turned to glue after 35 years.

Rich
jsayre914
I used to have that problem alot. high speed for 30min then stop for gas car would always crank and crank and crank. no start.

my solution is:

whenever I go to restart after running hard. turn the key on and off 4 or five times slow to run the pump but dont turn it so far to enguage the starter. then pedal to the metal (full throttle) and give it a try. Works every time for ME
Ferg
I replied to Jay in a private email, but wanted to bump this up. Engine is a carbed 2.0, I "think" it has had a mallory installed since I've owned it, but not positive, waiting to hear from Jay, so I'm betting it's a loose wire issue.

This car has never had a vapor lock issue, and I can't imagine that's the issue. I know that the carbs were adjusted for sea level after being delivered from Colorado, to FL then to Jay in VA.

Ferg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.