Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing my new project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
After a couple of false starts, I found my winter project just outside Chicago on Craigslist. Got it home yesterday and couldn't be happier with it. Its story is quite common - restoration started, then abandoned, rebuilt 2.0 never started. It has the typical rust problems but for a midwest car not too bad at all, certainly fixable. Long's are in need of repair but floor pans are really pretty good, interior decent. Exterior is finished in Ace Hardware's finest John Deere green enamel (hey, this is the midwest, remember?).

Anyway, plans are to drop a Rover 3.5 V8 in, flare the fenders and generally fix everything that needs fixing. I hope to keep a running commentary on the project. I have found these to be very helpful and decided to return the favor.

Click to view attachment
BTW, I've still got a bunch of stuff left over from my last "project", engine stuff, interior parts, vent parts, FI, name your part. I need to move this stuff out and I'm very motivated (read cheap). Just ask.

Tom
rick 918-S
What's the original color? Nice start. popcorn[1].gif
jimkelly
is this car 2 vin numbers?

i hear in the early days - it was not uncommon for dudes to weld a good front to a good rear.

jim
orthobiz
I love Zambezi Green!

I mean, it is, isn't it?

biz
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 2 2008, 08:12 PM) *

What's the original color? Nice start. popcorn[1].gif

Good question. I haven't had a chance to look beyond the overspray. Whoever painted this thing never heard of masking -green paint on everything. I suspect he tried to match the original green that you see on the back, rather unsuccessfully.

Tom
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 2 2008, 08:22 PM) *

is this car 2 vin numbers?

i hear in the early days - it was not uncommon for dudes to weld a good front to a good rear.

jim

That's a possibility Jim, but I looked hard for collision repair and couldn't find it, although doors & hoods definitely have bad fits, but I attribute that to the guy that did the paint job vs. collision damage. However, I have to question why he would paint only the front clip. hmmmm

Tom
jmill
Way to go. smilie_pokal.gif I'm South of you in Racine. I'm building a Zambezi 73 myself. If you need a part chances are pretty good that I'll have it.

edit: I just saw you have a surplus of parts too. I'm interested in that 2.0 engine of yours. PM sent.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 3 2008, 11:28 AM) *

Way to go. smilie_pokal.gif I'm South of you in Racine. I'm building a Zambezi 73 myself. If you need a part chances are pretty good that I'll have it.

edit: I just saw you have a surplus of parts too. I'm interested in that 2.0 engine of yours. PM sent.

Probably drove right by your house on my wayhome Saturday. I'll be happy to deal on the engine as soon as it's out of the car in the next couple of days.

Tom
DBCooper
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Nov 2 2008, 06:46 PM) *

Anyway, plans are to drop a Rover 3.5 V8 in, flare the fenders...

OMG no, don't do it! You'll DESTROY the resale value!!
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 3 2008, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Nov 2 2008, 06:46 PM) *

Anyway, plans are to drop a Rover 3.5 V8 in, flare the fenders...

OMG no, don't do it! You'll DESTROY the resale value!!

You're probably right but sometimes you just gotta go for the cheap thrill of it.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.