Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: advice needed (long)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
as you know, I've been looking for an engine to stuff into my car... I don't know much about rebuilding type 4s and I don't have enough space to do it right anyway(damn little apartment garages) so I have looked at the following options:

1) having a local shop rebuild 1 of mine... the only places that are reputable that does this for type 4 engines quoted me 3500 and 4000 to rebuild either my 1.8 or my 1.7... this option does not work, 4k is WAY out of my budget at this time.

since that doesn't work, I need to find another engine... preferably a 2.0, so I can:

2) buy a rebuilt engine nearby... unless something comes up at the Zim's swapmeet, I have not found anything... the only local engine I've found needs a rebuild and is 1000... and since it needs rebuild) at a minimum heads done, but probably rings too (I can do the rings, and have the heads fixed for 300-400+shipping), also, this engine does not have the cooling tin and is basically a longblock.

3) buy an engine out of state and have it shipped... this has come up with 1-2 options... 1 engine, in CA has 1.8L bus heads that have been opened up and is a 2.0L with 10K on the rebuild this engine is built by a reputable shop but is $$$ (~3k for the longblock before shipping) the other engine: a 2.0L with a top-end rebuild(I think it was the only top end, the owner was not sure) and 96mm pistons, only 1500 miles on the rebuild. (the owner was using it until he finished his 2270)
I don't believe this engine has any type of warranty or documentation, and the rebuild was done by an experienced 914'r(according to the seller), but not a shop... this engine is in MICHIGAN, therefor, I can't go see either of these engines. let alone hear them run...

the 1500$ seem like my best bet, and the price is affordable enough for me...(in a few weeks anyway) but I am leery about buying anything expensive withoput looking it over and hearing it run... just to verify. I do tend to trust the guy, as much as I can trust anyone I've never met smile.gif but 1-2 things bother me about this:
1) if only the "top end" was done... does that mean the bottom end is likely to not last long?
2) would you buy an engine without hearing it run? (am I being overly cautious?)
any advice would be appreciated
Tom Perso
the other engine: a 2.0L with a top-end rebuild(I think it was the only top end, the owner was not sure) and 96mm pistons, only 1500 miles on the rebuild. (the owner was using it until he finished his 2270)

I think you are talking about the engine I am selling... The whole motor has been gone thru, all new bearings (bottom end too).

Just wanted to make sure you knew that the motor is all fresh.

Thanks!
Tom
kenpolives
Hi, Did I hear 2.0 for sale? any details on it? Price...etc
seanery
I've got one, too. Another lister has first dibs, but if he doesn't want it it will be in the classifieds.
2.0 Euro Pistons
Web 494
Dual Webers
2.0 Heads are fresh
SSI's HE's
Triad muffler
powdercoated sheetmetal and fan housing
Tailshifter can be included

This is the motor that had the candy red powdercoating that Brad posted.

Bottom end has 10-15k on it everything else is fresh as of September. I'm putting in a 3.2 -6.

$4500 range
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Tom Perso @ Feb 10 2004, 02:41 PM)
the other engine: a 2.0L with a top-end rebuild(I think it was the only top end, the owner was not sure) and 96mm pistons, only 1500 miles on the rebuild. (the owner was using it until he finished his 2270)

I think you are talking about the engine I am selling... The whole motor has been gone thru, all new bearings (bottom end too).

Thanks!
Tom

YES! I didn't know you were a member! I talked to you last night! I forgot to ask if the whole thing had been gone through!! I don't want you to think I don't trust what you said... I do, but since my wife is the one who *REALLY* controls the money, I have to be careful, I will never hear the end of it.!
mightyohm
When I was looking for 2.0s I found that most of the affordable engines (sub 1500) were cores and NOT suitable for use as is. Actually the one I bought for $750 might have been good enough if I had just changed oil coolers and cleaned it up (several new FI components) but I did not know that until I stripped it down to the crank. Judging by the exterior I assumed it was thrashed! Oops.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 10 2004, 02:01 PM)
[QUOTE=Tom Perso

YES! I didn't know you were a member!

Sounds like Tom has the perfect deal for you! mueba.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Feb 10 2004, 04:30 PM)

Sounds like Tom has the perfect deal for you! mueba.gif

YES!!! I'm just waiting for Alan Funt to pop out and say "nevermind, you're on Candid Camera!!" w00t.gif

it's one of those things: sounds *almost* too good... I've been looking for a suitable engine for almost a year, and now I find it, and I'm being cautious! I'm just paranoid I guess!
rhodyguy
if hearing the engine run helps, tom should post the video of the 2056 when it was in his bug. if you got the dough ( not sure what tom's asking) and the other guy drops out this could be the engine you want!!

kevin
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2004, 08:09 AM)
if hearing the engine run helps, tom should post the video of the 2056 when it was in his bug. if you got the dough ( not sure what tom's asking) and the other guy drops out this could be the engine you want!!

kevin

I have the dough (or will very soon anyway) and I do think this is the engine I want... what other guy though?
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 11 2004, 08:53 AM)
I have the dough (or will very soon anyway) and I do think this is the engine I want... what other guy though?

I think rhodyguy is mixed up and not following this thread clearly. I would "finalize" the deal with Tom by PM or phone call...although he is probably following this thread.
tat2dphreak
I plan to, I was going to call him last night, but got lazy... bad habit of mine.
Eric_Shea
See if there are any other listers in the K-zoo area to go hear Tom's engine. I'll bet it's in fine shape. He just wants a new motor so he can kick his sons ass... laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2004, 10:33 AM)
See if there are any other listers in the K-zoo area to go hear Tom's engine. I'll bet it's in fine shape. He just wants a new motor so he can kick his sons ass... laugh.gif

that's a good idea! anyone in Michigan, or near Tom to hear the engine first hand? I'm sure it's in fine shape... if nothing else it would help put my wife's mind at ease smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.