Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I sell the v8 or the creamsicle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I need to make a decision pretty soon. I've got some extra bills coming up. I really can't afford to keep both my 914's & do the work on them I want. My v8 is running great & just needs the Master cylinder fixed (leaking out of the seals again). Otherwise it is a running driving big ass smile on your face machine. It doesn't neeed much $$$ put into it at all. Athough there are things I'd like to do to it.

The 74 LE Creamsicle is a very solid car & the resto is not a huge one. Just coming up with the dough for the paint is not going to happen unless I sell my v8. I really don't plan on keeping the creamsicle even after the resto. Just kind of want to finish it. Then there are the other couple extra's coming up I need to pay for. This car does run & drive also.

So my question is what should I do? Sell the v8 which I really want to keep. Which would give me the dough to finish the Creamsicle. Or Sell the creamsicle to someone else to finish the resto & keep the v8. I definately stand to make more off the creamsicle once it is completed. It is a true LE creamsicle after all confused24.gif
spare time toys
So my question is what should I do? Sell the v8 which I really want to keep.

I think you answered your own question. Unload the cream fix your brakes and go have fun with a good running car. driving.gif aktion035.gif If you are just fixing the other to sell it then you are left with nothing and you will be like this guy headbang.gif .
carr914
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 3 2008, 04:28 PM) *

Okay so I need to make a decision pretty soon.

So my question is what should I do? Sell the v8 which I really want to keep. confused24.gif

You already answered the question. Just sell the LE now, make a small profit and enjoy yourself. driving.gif

T.C.
JRust
If I didn't have such an itch to finish the LE it would be a no brainer. I've got quite a few of the parts I need as it stands. Really just the paint that is the issue. If it wasn't so dam spendy to get a car painted headbang.gif
JeffBowlsby
Its a no brainer to me...smile.gif Keep them both, paint the LE when you get the moola. Think long term.
Root_Werks
Sell the LE to me for $50 and enjoy your V8 914. biggrin.gif

Kidding, sell the LE. Post it here, make a little $$$ from it. Hopefully the right person picks it up and puts it back to it's proper original state. If I had the $$$, I'd pick it up from you. It looks like a nice start to an easy LE drive-me resto. driving.gif
RJMII
How much you want for the LE?
JRust
QUOTE(RJMII @ Nov 3 2008, 03:14 PM) *

How much you want for the LE?

Hey Jim,
Who knows I'm alittle on the negative side today. I probably could figure out a way to do it all. Just xtra bills coming up plus the holidays dry.gif . I just bought my wife a new rig & that is really what started it all. Still it's not like I'm desperate I probably just need to chill for a bit & it will all work itself out. Still if you were closer I would say buy it. Not sure what shipping would run. Be cheaper than buying a ticket & driving it back I am sure though. Looks like your car is coming together well. You should add some pics to your thread. Hope the family is all good. Take care- Jamie
tronporsche
Keep the funner car, the V-8. it puts a smile on your face and makes you happy when you drive it, so you might need that one day when things are gloomy.
Eric_Shea
Huh?

Am I the only weird one to think you should hang on to the one that will appreciate the most in value over the years?

Sell the V8 and take the loss (as you almost always will... sorry V8 guys, no offense, these things cost money to build). Put the money into the LE and enjoy the fact that you have the #2 most desireable (production) 914 in your stable. When and if you decide to sell the LE you might even come out ahead.
tronporsche
He said he "needs the money now" though !!!!
Eric_Shea
He said he "needs the money now" though !!!!

To paint and or finish one or the other... huh.gif !!!!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 3 2008, 03:41 PM) *

Huh?

Am I the only weird one to think you should hang on to the one that will appreciate the most in value over the years?

Sell the V8 and take the loss (as you almost always will... sorry V8 guys, no offense, these things cost money to build). Put the money into the LE and enjoy the fact that you have the #2 most desireable (production) 914 in your stable. When and if you decide to sell the LE you might even come out ahead.

I was thinking along the same lines. LE's are one of the most rare 914 and would always be one of the coolest 914's in any group of 914s. All 914's are fun to drive.

But like others have said, keep the one you like the most. You can always drive my car when you're up here wink.gif
tronporsche
Jrust, I am a little confused. Do you want to sell one of the cars to pay for your personal bills, like your wifes' new vehicle, or you want to sell to fix up one or the other of your cars ? Can you please clarify this !
southernmost914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 3 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Huh?

agree.gif
Steve
RJMII
Jamie, if you can swing it and keep both, and keep your wife and kids happy... go for it. =o)
I was contemplating it as an investment and/or one worth keeping all original. My uncle is a bodyman in Kennewick, so it would (If *I* could swing it) take steps to get home.

you're right, I should add pics to my thread... I think I'll just do a build thread that has all of them from the start up until... well, i'll just keep taking pictures as I go!
r_towle
Market the LE now on Ebay or here...explain its true value.
Sell it for a profit now...dont loose money..make the same money and save a year of restoration work.

Rich
DBCooper
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 3 2008, 03:41 PM) *

Huh?

If you're in to 914's for their investment value then you're right that makes sense, although frankly there are lots of other much better investments available. On the other hand if you just like the cars because they're fun then the V8's the ticket. The big smile E ticket.
JRust
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Nov 3 2008, 05:16 PM) *

Jrust, I am a little confused. Do you want to sell one of the cars to pay for your personal bills, like your wifes' new vehicle, or you want to sell to fix up one or the other of your cars ? Can you please clarify this !

I do not need the money to pay bills. Just knowing I have some extra's coming up keeps my usual car fund slacking. I would really only need the money to finish the LE. There are always things with my v8 I want to do. Basically the v8 I can work on all winter with no problem on the cash front. The LE will take a good chunk of change which I will not have unless I sell my v8. I've got a rule about borrowing money for my 914 habit. If I don't have the cash I don't get it. I do not have the cash for paint at this point. I also hate to have the LE just sitting when someone else could finish it. I would also have my car fund back if I sell it. Plus some extra for whatever.

I could just sit on the LE until I have the dough. I'm one impatient dude sometimes though dry.gif

As much as I am loving the creamsicle I don't see it being mine in the future. I'm not a concours guy & love something I can take without stressing to much someone will screw it up while I am out. I still would love to finish it & then who knows. Basically I don't know what the hell I am doing at this point. Just looking for advice which has been a plenty. Thanks
RJMII
Got any trading fodder? old mopar shtuff? lead sled era something or another sitting around? I could give my uncle a call for you... I could send you pics of my dad's 65 fastbak that he's working on... etc. help you out w/trading?
boxstr
Jamie, I have storage available at CAMP. You can come look at it anytime you want. And when the funds become available you can take it back home and start your restoration, or sell it or????
CCLINSTRUS
scotty
Keep 'em both (since you don't need the $$$ and are on the "negative" side today ...cheer up!).

Take your time with the LE and do it the way you want to ...and THEN sell it (as you say you will). Do it over time...a little here, a little there...next thing you know it's 2018 and you've finished the LE! And it's worth even more! beerchug.gif

Meanwhile, you've been enjoying highway 34 for 10 years in your V8! driving.gif

...and get a new M/C for it/return the one you have.
JRust
QUOTE(scotty @ Nov 3 2008, 10:47 PM) *

Keep 'em both (since you don't need the $$$ and are on the "negative" side today ...cheer up!).

Take your time with the LE and do it the way you want to ...and THEN sell it (as you say you will). Do it over time...a little here, a little there...next thing you know it's 2018 and you've finished the LE! And it's worth even more! beerchug.gif

Meanwhile, you've been enjoying highway 34 for 10 years in your V8! driving.gif

...and get a new M/C for it/return the one you have.

I ordered a new M/C this week. Should be here by friday I hope. On the LE who knows. I keep wavering & I do have some stuff I can sell to help with it's resto. I just have a hard time having it sit there when I want to finish it. I may just have to make some space at my work to hide it for a while sad.gif . If I sell it my attenton would go back to my v8 though. I do have plenty I'd like to do to it idea.gif
tronporsche
Well Jaime, just to be a villan...........I can understand the difficulty of letting go of the L.E. But, we can not read the future, and who knows what the value will be, later on. But by the time you put more money into it and have it sitting around until that dollar day comes, you could have got your money for it and been done with your V-8 goals and been satisfied. So what if the LE sells for more in the future ............I had a similar situation. I had the opportunity to keep my conversion parts car (a 73') and make it into a racer, or just focus on my 75', and be glad it is done, instead of trying to fix two cars at the same time, which I didn't have the money for. So, I sold the 73', and you know what ? I am happy because my 75' is done the way I want it now, and I like to watch it sit and collect dust, and wipe it off, knowing I have a great running, fast car that is PERSONALIZED (like your V-8) and I can take it for a drive anytime, anywhere that I want. I really don't see the need for two 914s.....Unless one is for street, and the other for the track.
Tom
Jamie,
I'm with Craig on this. Store it at Camp and you can go look at it any time you want. Later, if the money is better, you can start a resto. In the mean time, someone may come by camp and just have to have it and will be willing to give you a price that will make your decision on keeping or selling that much easier.
Or you could just give it to me and then I would have these problems! LOL!! biggrin.gif
Tom
computers4kids
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 3 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Jamie, I have storage available at CAMP. You can come look at it anytime you want. And when the funds become available you can take it back home and start your restoration, or sell it or????
CCLINSTRUS

Jamie, it would be a shame to restore a creamsicle half ass that appears to be in fairly good shape to start with--so you don't want to cut corners. You and I both know you will never keep it regardless how well it's restored. It will cost you a small fortune for a nice paint job as you have found out....not to mention everything else that will look 35 yearsl old with new paint.

If it was me, I would keep the LE. But, let's be realistic...V8 teeners do not sell for anything exciting. If you sell your v8 you will pay for just the paint job and be back to square one...no fun car to drive. I don't see a restored LE becoming a daily driver.

That being said, sell the car to Craig or someone who will do right by it, enjoy your 914 and go find three more you can put in the garage that someone else doesn't want.

Jamie...don't hurry into this decsion..The Creamsicle doesn't have to be done in two months..think LONG TERM.
tronporsche
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 4 2008, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 3 2008, 09:11 PM) *

CCLINSTRUS

Jamie, it would be a shame to restore a creamsicle half ass that appears to be in fairly good shape to start with--so you don't want to cut corners. You and I both know you will never keep it regardless how well it's restored. It will cost you a small fortune for a nice paint job as you have found out....not to mention everything else that will look 35 yearsl old with new paint.

If it was me, I would keep the LE. But, let's be realistic...V8 teeners do not sell for anything exciting. If you sell your v8 you will pay for just the paint job and be back to square one...no fun car to drive. I don't see a restored LE becoming a daily driver.

That being said, sell the car to Craig or someone who will do right by it, enjoy your 914 and go find three more you can put in the garage that someone else doesn't want.

Jamie...don't hurry into this decsion..The Creamsicle doesn't have to be done in two months..think LONG TERM.
oops !!! Mark, I think you meant to say "If you sell your LE you will pay for just the paint job and be back to square one.... no fun car to drive." !!!!!
FourBlades

How many times have you heard people say, "I used to have a <fill in cool
car name> but unfortunately I sold it. I really wish I still had that car now."

When the LEs are $175,000 like a 356 speedster is now you will really be
saying this. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

John
carr914
I've owned over 40 cars (some real cool ones too) and I don't regret selling any of them. There is always something else out there.

T.C.
JRust
Okay so I was just a little on the negative side yesterday. All things considered things would be easier if I sold the LE. I do not need to sell it though. I should probably just sit on it for a while. I just need to be a little more practical with my allocation of car funds. So I think I will let the LE sit for a while & work on the v8. I do have quite a bit of stuff allready coming for the LE. Really I don't need to spend anything on it for a while anyway. The paint can wait. Still I don't see me hanging onto the LE when it's finished anyway. Always nice to finish a project huh.gif

I have decided I am not going to sell my v8. So whatever happens that is stilll my baby drooley.gif . As always thanks for all the advice. You really help clear things up av-943.gif . Okay you really didn't help at all mad.gif happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
Always happy to be of no help Jamie drunk.gif av-943.gif
RJMII
I'm happy to not help, too. LOL

wrap the cresmsicle in saranwrap after filling the hellholes with silica gel. =o) (make sure and mark them 'do not eat')
JRust
If anything this has spurned a few good laughs. Between this & buying Dan's foglights you guys are cracking me up this morning laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
What makes you think he is going to sell them to you confused24.gif We are trying to watch out for you but you just can't stop yourself laugh.gif av-943.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Nov 4 2008, 08:33 AM) *

How many times have you heard people say, "I used to have a <fill in cool
car name> but unfortunately I sold it. I really wish I still had that car now."

When the LEs are $175,000 like a 356 speedster is now you will really be
saying this. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

John
By the time the LEs reach $175,000, Jaime or any of us won't be alive to see it , or spend it !!! av-943.gif
sww914
If you'd never found the LE this wouldn't be bothering you. Cover it well, keep it dry, drain the gas or put that stuff in it and let it sit for awhile.
Concentrate on the V-8 for now and worry about the LE when you can afford it. It won't get much worse if you keep the water and animals out of it and sometime you can give it what it deserves.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Nov 4 2008, 10:27 AM) *

What makes you think he is going to sell them to you confused24.gif We are trying to watch out for you but you just can't stop yourself laugh.gif av-943.gif

I figured Jamie was the best to sell to since he has no money. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.